Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Old Lighthouse on Isle of Quios  (Read 2718 times)
Seeker
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 465

Fire Mage

View Profile
« on: 26 May 2011, 14:23:14 »

Well it has been a while since the party for Deklitch and I have decided to hang around the Eights Wind Bay area.  Yesterday I ran across a nice little lighthouse on the coast that reminded me of an old run down lighthouse I saw last year on Cape Strata.  It inspired me to create this picture of the old building down south.

Lighthouse on Cape Strata
Comments Welcome
« Last Edit: 04 June 2011, 17:32:02 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

Every entry deserves a picture.   -Seeker
Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 144

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 26 May 2011, 14:54:13 »

*really wishes there was still a negative aura button, because Seeker is obviously just purposely rubbing Alt's nose in it that Seeker has so much more drawing talent than Altario's no talent.... but then Alt remembers his own secret talent that completely dwarfs Seeker's in comparison and proudly pulls out his ear wax collection"

In your face, Seeker! :P

*grudgingly hits the aura button for another great pic* thumbup

"Lather...Rinse...Repeat"   Why has God made my life so complicated?

This is what I'm working on
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 26 May 2011, 16:07:11 »

*pats Altario on his shoulder and comforts him*
If you would spend as much time with drawing like Seeker, then maybe in ten years your auras would reach in the sky also...

... and if you would play Santhworld, then you would find many more Seeker pictures, or Judy picture, though I'm not always sure, who has painted what.

Your pics seem so effortless done, Seeker, and this is another good one. ! *hides her jealousy*

I don't think though, that it fits the Old Strata Lighthouse, for this one has surely no more light or similar on top like yours and in my imagination it always was much more, hmm.. huge? more impressive? Don't know... This one does not look for me, as if it was built by giants.

I would propose another competition! You would have to remove the dark blotches though and make it not as broken as it is now, but it has to be old nevertheless, and withered by the weather and sea.

THE CLENDOR TOWER, Manthria, East Coast, Near Marduran (..good for the next Nepris game ;) )

On a rocky, windswept promontory outside Marduran stands Clendor Tower: an empty, windowless colossus towering over cliffs wet with the spray of the Adanian Sea. Legend tells that a great mage built this place millennia ago with the help of the demon Gaurgoroth, who eventually returned to claim his life. Boundless riches are rumoured to lie within, but of those who enter, little is heard again.

Some critic to the pic itself...
Regardless, what for lighthouse it will be, the walls are too smooth, look too new. Your lines marking the big stone segments are too visibly lines, but the idea to let it look like build by giants with these big blocks is good!

The opening at the base reveals a very thin wall. I'm not sure about the colour. Would any stone, even a sand coloured like this one, stay so yellow, would not mosses, fungus, whatever,  cover it?

I know, you like the Sepia feeling! :)

« Last Edit: 26 May 2011, 16:15:20 by Ta'lia of the Seven Jewels » Logged

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 144

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 May 2011, 16:32:55 »

I believe Talia wants a more Lighthouse of Alexandria feel for Strata.

"Lather...Rinse...Repeat"   Why has God made my life so complicated?

This is what I'm working on

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 26 May 2011, 16:37:26 »

Ahh, well..  bigger, no light on top, broken down a bit, no other buildings around, but yes!

The entry about cape Strata is very much outdated, but I don't think, that a new one makes sense, for I integrated that in the Strata entry. Strata is Cape strata now. I will talk to Gean, if we could remove that one altogether.

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
Seeker
Santh. Member

Fire Mage

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 May 2011, 20:57:00 »

Thanks for the comments guys.  Sure I don't have a problem with this being a different lighthouse.  No big deal.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 27 May 2011, 03:19:41 »

Aura +1 from me as well, Seeker!

Another cool idea, and quickly realized, but there are a few things I think that really need to be adjusted - I guess Talia also said that: You need to add more 3d effect to the stones and update the texture somewhat. Because the separation lines between the stones is really just lines, and the texture looks a tad bland. But with a few updates in this respect, it should be fine! Especially the crashing of the waves is quite cool!  grin

I also think that the Cape Strata lighthouse made by giants wouldn't be properly represented by this pic, so we better use it somewhere else. Hope you didn't plan to use it down there in Strata though, as part of your Treasure Shoals module - would be a pity not to be able to use it if you intended to initially include it somewhere in that context. Well, maybe it still has a place for another location in that story?

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 27 May 2011, 08:43:05 »

Love the surf and water effects!  I'm concerned about the 'modern' look of the top, though, with its 'steel railings' and 'glass' cage.    Would a simple, medieval lighthouse not be more akin to the beacon towers - just a huge raised platform with a burning bowl, and a giant stash of tinder beneath?  I like the idea of either a big copper tripod .... or a criss-cross of wood (LOTR style), which could be protected from the weather by a triparate, polished metal reflector (like a room divider with three panels, which stands behind the fire and reflects it outwards)  Just a thought!

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Seeker
Santh. Member

Fire Mage

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 May 2011, 13:54:48 »

You guys are brilliant!  It looks much better.   thumbup  Great collaboration, better results.  Any more comments?

I would like to suggest this as a lighthouse on the Isle of Quios.  Perhaps one of the two mentioned in the Stormcloak Guild entry.  I do not want this to be the Clendor Tower, I have other plans for that one, if nobody else gets to it first.
« Last Edit: 28 May 2011, 14:03:05 by Seeker » Logged

Kalína Dalá'isyrás
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 32

Dalá'isyrás

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 28 May 2011, 14:05:57 »

clap clap clap

Amazing, Seeker! I think it is a fantastic improvement.  heart

+1 Aura :D

Insanity is only a perception made by those who have yet to attain its greatness. While those of us who have already stepped inside its bounds find bliss in our utter madness.
Draconic Development Schedule

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #10 on: 28 May 2011, 14:36:13 »

Much better Seeker! Though I do not want to be the person who has to bring the fuel... ;)

I do not want this to be the Clendor Tower, I have other plans for that one, if nobody else gets to it first.

What could that be.... it is not far away from Nepris!  grin

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #11 on: 28 May 2011, 15:44:09 »

Brilliant changes, Seeker! Texture, shadows and fire fit very well - the lighthouse looks very ancient now, and the dramatic waves were there before already, so wonderful pic!  thumbup

An yep, let's put it on Quios and/or the Stormcloak guild entry, I'd be happy to have it there :)

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Shabakuk Zeborius Anfang
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 192

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 29 May 2011, 05:54:40 »

*joins the general applause, mouth agape*

The greatest danger in life is that you may take too many precautions.
Ding-dong!
Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 157

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 30 May 2011, 17:11:38 »

Wow! Very evocative! I love the waves and the light!

I think I already hear a short theme to go with this. Let me see if I can come up with a quick sketch. Possibly strings?

PS: I've (substantially) reworked the minuet, but have been on holiday/too lazy to post it here. I promise to get it up some time today.
« Last Edit: 30 May 2011, 17:14:11 by Coren FrozenZephyr » Logged

"Everything should be as simple as possible and not simpler." Albert Einstein

"Is he allowed to do that?"
"I think that comes under the rule of Quia Ego Sic Dico."
"Yes, what does that mean?"
"'Because I say so', I think."
"That doesn't sound like much of a rule!"
"Actually, it's the only one he needs." (Making Money by Terry Pratchett)
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]