Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Lighthouses: As inspired by Seeker  (Read 4935 times)
Val O就eil
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 33

Flutterby Oddity

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 01 June 2011, 04:59:50 »

Very nice, Valan. :)

I just downloaded GIMP today out of boredom and began poking at one of my lighthouses. Here's what I've got thus far: Clickity

EDIT:: An update! grin Here

EDIT2:: Another! Boink

EDIT3:: Almost there... See?
« Last Edit: 02 June 2011, 00:16:22 by Val O就eil » Logged

Nature is our wildest home. It includes the oceans that provide our rain, the trees that give us air to breathe, the ancestral habitats we shared with countless kinds of animals that now exist only by our sufferance or under our heel.-Edward Hoagland
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #16 on: 01 June 2011, 14:44:43 »

Aaaaaand... if you don't mind one more version, Val, I tried my hand at colouring it as well.   Your spectacular grasp of form makes it easy - those rocks are already so three-dimensional!

As you can see, to give the picture more interest and coast line, I merely combined the background rocks from the first lighthouse with the foreground of the second.  The clouds and some texture were also added in the colouring process, but in essence it's your work.    If I were to put anything else in, it would be a Vevanmar (I think that's right) - one of the pure white Santharian gulls - sweeping across the top left of the picture in contrast to those dark clouds.

What do you think?

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/250321_10150192313648587_517153586_7190643_2916782_n.jpg

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #17 on: 01 June 2011, 14:48:21 »

P.S.   An aura for Val, who is seriously under-represented with Brownie points, for her wonderful sketches AND her willingness to let us all play with them!  And one for Valan toooooo.....

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 144

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 01 June 2011, 16:25:48 »

And one for you, Judith, for always being someone to emulate, who encourages us all. :)

Wonderful colorization of Val's great sketch.  The two of you compliment each other very well, creating a style that is unique.  A "Judval", as it were.  Perhaps a whole series of Judval's can be made into a people entry of a mad, eccentric Santharian artist. rolleyes

"Lather...Rinse...Repeat"   Why has God made my life so complicated?

This is what I'm working on
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #19 on: 01 June 2011, 16:41:42 »

Hey, I see new great artists at the horizon! :D

Valan, you are good on you way, carry on with your waves, especially the froth!

Val, be careful with using textures! Maybe try to take brushes, your big rock on the left side of the tower is so great in your pencil drawing, it would be a pity to loose that.

Judy has stepped in as an experienced artist, look, how she has taken your pencil sketch and used it, did not cover all as you with the textures.  Maybe Seeker can give you some hints which brush to use, I do not have GIMP, so it is a bit difficult for me.

Maybe have a look, how Faugar coloured his old man, there is a tutorial somewhere.

Faugar's Old Man

You will find more on the the site, go to the menu, swap menu, then you find that box with drawing tools in the lower line, click, and you find some help.

« Last Edit: 01 June 2011, 16:47:23 by Ta'lia of the Seven Jewels » Logged

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #20 on: 01 June 2011, 21:07:06 »

Oh, I love that idea!  It is such a privilege for me to be able to start with such solid proportions and beautiful draftmanship (my weakness); if Val would consent it would truly be an honour to collab with her.    "Valith Bar-eill" would make a great co-signature, or perhaps "Juval Onard"?  :)

Val O就eil
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 33

Flutterby Oddity

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 02 June 2011, 00:24:15 »

Wow, Bard, that's awesome! grin  I love it! You even added in bits of the other lighthouse picture for the horizon and such. And I'd be glad to collaborate with you, though my drawing hand only works when it feels inspired. buck I do have a handful of sketches that I think you'd enjoy colouring, though. Should I post them here? Or in a new thread?

Thank you for the tips, Talia. I'm really not good with textures, much less textures on GIMP (and my picture looks like someone cut out pieces of textured/coloured cardboard and pasted them on a sheet of paper, rather than giving it any depth) It's such a pain in the rear to use. But, hey, practice makes perfect. I'll be poking at those tutorials you've pointed out.

Nature is our wildest home. It includes the oceans that provide our rain, the trees that give us air to breathe, the ancestral habitats we shared with countless kinds of animals that now exist only by our sufferance or under our heel.-Edward Hoagland
Shabakuk Zeborius Anfang
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 192

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 02 June 2011, 02:28:08 »

Juno Valbard, also known as Valbard With the Twenty Fingers?

Anyway, I am distinctly impressed. Aura for both of you!

The greatest danger in life is that you may take too many precautions.
Ding-dong!
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #23 on: 02 June 2011, 04:20:17 »

Auras for the both of you, Val & Judy!  thumbup

It was great sketch already, Val, and you also made some valiant attempts with colouring it, but as you can see Judy has already a lot of experience with painting tools and managed to really get the best out of it! I think she did it just right in terms of colours, lighting, the added background and extra bits like those fish that let the true scope of the pic really come out at its fullest! Maybe some more texture could still be added at the rock, or at the ground, but that's not a biggie. I'm happy that this collaboration produced such a great result :)

I hope more are to come, and if you keep training with your painting tools by following various tutorials, Val, you'll also be able to colour your own works digitally in such a marvellous way!

Now we only need a place to actually put that lighthouse - they seem to come out of the earth like mushrooms! lol

P.S. Now what about that frog? Methinks it needs to be dug out and get a texture or something as well... ;)

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Seeker
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 465

Fire Mage

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 02 June 2011, 09:48:40 »

That is a beautiful picture.   clap2

Every entry deserves a picture.   -Seeker
Seeker
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 465

Fire Mage

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 12 June 2011, 09:15:48 »

Val, just a tip on textures.  From the version you did it appears to me that in GIMP you used the "Filters" tab and picked one of the filters maybe under the "artistic" submenu.  When you use those tools, the texture is applied very evenly which makes a three dimensional object like the cylindrical  lighthouse appear flat.  I am sure all the artists use textures in a different way.  Here is what I do.

I like to download various free brushes which have textures or patterns on them.  I use these brushes to dodge and burn, dodge and burn and yes dodge and burn  the object.  In this way I apply the texture and the shading at the same time. Just how I do it. 

Every entry deserves a picture.   -Seeker
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]