Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Mud Rat Brownie riding a City Rat pic  (Read 6735 times)
Seeker
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 465

Fire Mage

View Profile
« on: 04 June 2011, 13:31:45 »

Well I decided to head into town to see if I could find a caravan or travelling companion to accompany south.  As I wandered around town I found myself in a run down section of the city.  At first I thought I was alone but then I began to hear strange noises like scurrying and laughing and low voices.  I turned a corner and caught a quick glimpse of a rodent disappearing into the sewers. But the voices kept haunting me. I was at a loss ...and then I spotted one, Rat Brownie.

Rat Brownie
City Rat  

COMMENTS WELCOME
This is my first Brownie, please feel free to give me any comments that will help make this better.
« Last Edit: 24 June 2011, 23:04:32 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

Every entry deserves a picture.   -Seeker
Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 103

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 04 June 2011, 14:16:45 »

Looks great to me, Seeker. What is that coloured set of balls (or whatever it is) at the Rat Brownie's side?

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's none at all down here on Earth." - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 June 2011, 14:48:07 »

:D  That's just awesome, Seeker.  A nbig Bownie sized aura for this one!  Love his little feirce expression.

"Lather...Rinse...Repeat"   Why has God made my life so complicated?

This is what I'm working on
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 04 June 2011, 15:45:42 »

Hey Seeker, you made me smile, that was a great start in the day! :D

Nevertheless, the critic is rolling! ;)

Finishing touches are still needed, yes? (Frame, bricks, rat)
- the bricks are at some places to smooth, the line to straight

Some questions:

Is it your intent, that this little fellow has a hunchback? Otherwise the arms would need to be a little differently attached to the body.

How does the Brownie reign the rat? Is there nothing around the nose?

The rat and Brownie look as if the ventured in a well of region, the bricks and the plaster in between is so clean!
Hey, now I can say...add mud and dirt to your lovely clean wall! (I think you know , what I mean ;) )

OK, now to lift your mood again: :)

The expression on his face is great, how he peers under his fruit-hat to view the street! And I love the quiver, so unergonomic - a thimble? And what is that white round topped arrow (looks a bit like a q-tip  buck) ?

I love the whole layout! Maybe make it a bit dirtier, the rat looks to nice, but otherwise,  thumbup

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Athviaro Shyu-eck-Silfayr
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 64

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 June 2011, 15:48:34 »

...Will he attack me if I go "Aww"?

Great picture Seeker.

coughauriedcough

Ath

"I don't care what you did as a boy."
"Well, I did nothing as a girl, so there goes my childhood." - Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire, The Gay Divorcee, 1934.
The Life and Works of Athviaro Shyu-eck-Silfayr
Kalta'hnk - My ramblings on anything to do with the Glandorians - The Glandorian Men (Proposal)
Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 June 2011, 16:29:37 »

Just a thought...

When I first saw the pic, my first thought was that what it needs is a full sized person peering through the window with a surprised expression....

Talia, I thought the same thing at first, that the Brownie was a hunchback, but upon closer inspection noticed that it is the curtain.  There is a definite, but very fine, colour difference and line there if you look closely enough. 

"Lather...Rinse...Repeat"   Why has God made my life so complicated?

This is what I'm working on
Irid alMenie
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 46

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 June 2011, 16:44:22 »

I love it! You'll have made one Rookie a very happy Brownie, once she sees this. Aura +!

Also, Rat Brownies are supposed to be somewhat... misshapen, lets say. So a hunchback is quite possible!

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Irid al'Menie
Shabakuk Zeborius Anfang
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 192

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 June 2011, 20:11:23 »

When I first saw the pic, my first thought was that what it needs is a full sized person peering through the window with a surprised expression....

I think that's a great idea. And I share Talia's thoughts about the wall.

But what a fantastic picture it already is. In honour of Rookie, I'll give Seeker a Brownie point, rather than aura.

The greatest danger in life is that you may take too many precautions.
Ding-dong!
Drasil Razorfang
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 47

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 June 2011, 21:55:28 »

Another great picture Seeker.

The only thing that I noticed that is problematic is that it appears to be daytime in the photo.  Rat Brownies, particularly the Mud Rat Brownie which you seem to be depicting, generally tend to prefer to stay in the dark.  During the day, they remain below ground and only venture out of the sewers at night time.  
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 04 June 2011, 22:02:40 »

Brilliant pic, I have to agree, and aura +1, Seeker! I think the fur is still a bit sketchy at parts, maybe that can be adjusted a bit, but I like everything else! Wonderful job, Seeker!  thumbup

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04 June 2011, 23:28:01 »

Oh how cute! Yay for Brownies, that makes us Brownie devs very happy to see our babies illustrated. Did you know the Brownie rat was my very first entry before I became an apprentice? How far I've come.

One suggestion is to perhaps make the rat a little more skinnier and malnourished?

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #11 on: 05 June 2011, 00:41:38 »

Oh well, Drasil, could be a Rat Brownie forced into dayight due to certain circumstances, otherwise it would be to dark for Seeker to see it anyway.

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Drasil Razorfang
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 47

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05 June 2011, 03:39:37 »

Oh well, Drasil, could be a Rat Brownie forced into dayight due to certain circumstances, otherwise it would be to dark for Seeker to see it anyway.

Fair point, though I still don't think having a Rat Brownie sauntering around in broad daylight stays true to the entry.  How about a compromise and just adjust the lighting so that it appears to be dusk or dawn?  That way Seeker has a reason to have seen a Rat Brownie while keeping true to the tribe's description as nocturnal creatures. 
Seeker
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 465

Fire Mage

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 05 June 2011, 06:19:06 »

I can easily mes with the lighting to see what comes of it.  Perhaps a candle or something somewhere will help to preserve some for the colors.  I'll try something.

Every entry deserves a picture.   -Seeker
Rookie Brownbark
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 71

Researcher of all Things Brownie

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 07 June 2011, 01:55:18 »

He's awesome!  I don't know how you've managed to capture that wonderful expression on his face - it's brilliantly evil and mischevious, just so exactly how i'd imagine a Mud Rat Brownie expression.

I like the suggestions from Talia and Alt: i.e. making it more dawn/dusk time and having that human face at the window.  However, if either of them detract from that expression on the Rat Brownie's face, then I reckon leave it as it is!  You could also, as Talia suggests, pop in some reins or a collar for steering the rat - maybe a collar would also allow you a bit more scope for defining the fur, as it would ruffle up the dirty hairs? (This could help make the rat look a bit more malnorished too?) Completely up to you though, as it could be steered by leaning to one side or by voice commands instead.

Could you just mention that this is a Mud Rat Brownie somewhere (it can be in the picture caption rather than the title if easier) - there are a few different types of Rat Brownie and they can look like anything really.

And..finally....:

clap

Have some aura from me and another Brownie point too!

Diminutive and crunchable
Brownie Board
Development Schedule

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]