Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Two flying beasties  (Read 2506 times)
Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 103

Elf friend

View Profile
« on: 07 June 2011, 11:00:09 »

I've had two ideas for flying creatures, kind of inspired by two news items/stories I've heard recently, and one of which kind of might be able to tie in with Master Anfang's work on witches.

These beasties are

1) Flying Cows.
This is the one that is linked in with the the witches ... apparently cows used to be killed in association with witchcraft in Europe. Someone I know shared with me that:

"The last cow hung for the charge of witchcraft was in France in 1740."

I'd be thinking they'd be pretty small creatures.

2) Flying Pigs.
Well ... the story that inspired this one was
"everyone knows pigs cant fly but apparently cows do. in 1997 a japanese fishing boat was sunk by a falling herd of cows. The insurance company initiated fraud investigations against the crew, but it turned out that Russian soldiers had been rustling cows in a military plane.got scared they were going to stampede and jetisoned them"

Thoughts? Obviously nothing concrete yet for them ... but they were things that seemed intriguing or 'fascinating'.

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's none at all down here on Earth." - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 07 June 2011, 11:21:13 »

Two thoughts in response to your two ideas:

a) flying cows => ready-made butter

b) flying pigs  =>  gardy-loo!  Or rather, 'cloudy with a chance of pigpatties!' 

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 June 2011, 11:24:19 »

pigpatties ... boys collecting poo around Ximax city ... maybe I've found the creatures to serve as the mascot or symbol for the Boyzinna Fellowship :D

I also like the ready made butter :D

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's none at all down here on Earth." - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 07 June 2011, 11:26:40 »

Sorry, dear, of course I'm just teasing.  In fact I aura'ed you for the whimsical concept.

However, just as our Terran dragonflies are not actually little dragons, and our wolfberries do not transform around the full moon, 'flying cows' in Caelereth need not be winged bovines.  They could very well be something like gigantic aphids with 'fins' that allow them to glide from plant to plant, milking them of sap and in turn being milked by our Myrmex or even by small mammals like flittermice.  One more link in the food chain, doncherknow!    

As for the flying pigs... my seven-year-old, who dearly wants to write for the Compendium 'when she's old enough', keeps bugging me to submit some of her concepts and sketches, and she recently designed a rather charming rooting mammal that yes, looks rather like a pig, and flies... so I guess great minds are clearly working along the same lines here.   I used to have a wonderful gilded-wood sculpture from Indonesia that depicted a winged frog, and for years I've had that in the back of my head for Santharia!

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

seth ghibta
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 138

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 June 2011, 17:14:37 »

Those sound fantastic Dek! if you made them small enough to be the target of hawks and other birds of prey, they'd help solve the problem of our lack of small birds that aren't hidden away in forests, as well. though of course if you don't want to then that's fine, I'll justr add it to my list of things to gripe about. ;)

violence is not the answer, but you get marks if you show your working.

Santharia needs your molluscs! donate molluscs now!
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 07 June 2011, 18:49:02 »

If it is small, such a cow's milk will be then as expensive as our earthen micemilk? lol And the cheese! Judy has to update her cheese entry!
Might be a bit problematic also, if the cow cannot only move around when being milked, but can do a small jump in the air also!  grin Or you are trying to milk a cow which hovers in the air! That will be a two person job!

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 June 2011, 23:33:15 »

The North wants flying BACON and MILKSHAKES!  :D

Make it happen plz.

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08 June 2011, 09:07:08 »

ok ... I'll make it happen at some stage ... thanks for all your thoughts on it.

Oh, and Judith ... I honestly thought your ideas were great ... I especially liked the pig patties :D

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 08 June 2011, 17:31:10 »

I used to have a wonderful gilded-wood sculpture from Indonesia that depicted a winged frog, and for years I've had that in the back of my head for Santharia!
(Judy)

Found that lovely one on elfwood by Ursula Vernon

Flying Frog IV

(All others by her are also cute!)

And looking at her deviantart site I found this one! lol
The Flight of Hamwings by Ursulav

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]