Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Vergos Exitalis  (Read 2528 times)
Vergos Exitalis
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 4

View Profile
« on: 09 June 2011, 06:40:29 »

Hello. I am Vergos Exitalis. I'm here to, I hope, start world-building with you all, as I am a writer.

I have a lot of ideas floating around my head at all times-- These ideas aren't always suited for my own pursuits, so I got to looking for a high-quality board that actually focuses on the world-building aspect of the craft. I found a place called Jacmus Prime, but I never got the hang of navigating it. After clicking countless hundreds of 'affiliates' banners at the bottoms of pages, I finally found The Santharian Dream-- A well-done, high quality board that, unlike most boards, functions less like an online conspiracy and more like a brotherhood.

I hardly need to say that I'm interested-- If I weren't, I wouldn't be here, would I?

I'll get to listing a couple of the ideas that have been here in my head for the last week or so.

>> Sniper's Root:

Sniper's root, as I envision it, is a nasty plant that grows a sickly, pale gangrene and lies mostly in a mat on the ground. It grows out in a near-perfect circle about a fore in each direction from the center. Out of the center grows a stalk, a half a ped tall, with a golf-ball-sized seed pod at the top. The seed pod is brown, and fairly solid-looking, when the seeds are still attached. After it loses its seeds, once every fifty days or so, the pod has a more honeycomb-like hollowness. The mat of leaves, despite being hideous, has another reason to be hated-- each leaf has a two-nailbreadth thorn right under it, which could puncture even the toughest bare foot. The sap inside the leaves, which always ends up covering the thorn if something steps on it, is a mild poison, medically harmless, but excruciatingly painful. There is yet another thing to make the farmer despise it: Its root system grows three feet in all directions and will kill almost anything smaller than a tree growing in that radius. Coupled with the fact that it spreads like the pox, depositing its seeds for the first time a mere week after its seed pod grows, and it is practically the bane of farmers in some unfortunate reasons. Alas, though, through the veil of the nuisance, there is a strong benefit to the determined bowsmith or traveller: Its roots are strong and fibrous, and, when they are twisted together, will make a sturdy, elastic bowstring. This string would not have the same power as silk or flax, but it will last longer than either, and Sniper's root can be found in a multitude of places.

The Trade of Treebending:

Deep in the forests of (*Will find later*) lies a strange form of carpentry that may awe one from a more simple place. People will literally shape plants and trees to their will-- Not by trimming it, as is done in topiary, but instead by placing rods and bars of metal in the perfect place in a developing tree. The tree will grow in a new direction, split apart, converge together, or do almost anything short of stopping altogether, depending on what the 'Treebender' has placed along its width. Three men were instrumental in the forming of this art: The nature-loving Amadeus Veramalia, the Magician, Gormalo Twigg, and a man named Harold Calamast, who was the one to finally see a profit in all of it.

Veramalia was the kind of man that would give a lumberjack a hassle for being to mean to his trees. He felt sorry for all of the plants and animals that the civilized races of Santharia had exploited and hurt in their rise to power, and he wanted to find ways to get the same thing done without hurting them.

He made the discovery of Treebending by accident. He noticed that an ancient, metal-shafted spear looked as if it had split the tree in two from the top. Eventually, he found out what had happened-- It sank into the top of the growing tree, which started to grow outward and away from the disturbance. He started to use keys, arrowheads, and metal rods to try and shape saplings and growing trees by himself, but he died before he could see his dreams come to fruition, by eating a deadly poison mushroom.

Gormalo Twigg read of his vision in the obituary of the local Times, because that is what he did with his time at that stage of his life. He was well into his apprenticeship as a Nature Mage, and decided to pay the widow a visit.

He soon learned that Veramalia was a single man, even though he was in his sixties. He climbed over the fence to Vermalia's back yard, and quickly learned what Amadeus Vermalia had: How to bend the trees to shapes. The one thing Gormalo Twigg had that Vermalia didn't, however, was time. Not only was Gormalo a mere man of thirty, but he could also speed up the growth of the trees so that instead of taking years to make a bench out of a tree, he could make an entire 'Tree house' in a couple of months. He did indeed make an entire house out of thirty trees, bending those same trees into furniture, as well.

One day, a travelling salesman named Harold Calamast walked up to Gormalo's house. He asked a few questions, found out how it happened and the meager time allowance, and had an idea. He and Gormalo eventually wrote a book entitled "Building Houses With Nature: A Guide For The Mage of Plants and Nature", and both became rich men.

This is actually probably too much for this thread, eh? Anyway, tell me what you think, if I may need to scrap an idea in favor of a better one, or if I need to expand on a certain thing. I'm always open to new things.

--The duty of youth is to challenge corruption.--
Shabakuk Zeborius Anfang
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 192

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 09 June 2011, 07:43:21 »

Hi Vergos,

and welcome to Santharia! It's nice to read that you like the look of us, and it's a particular pleasure to welcome someone who has already looked around in this world a little bit and knows his peds from his fores! :)

Well, in case you haven't tasted them yet, please help yourself to some doch nuts, a butterball delight, or a piece of dainbel pie. And here, have some Artwine. Or R'unorian Brandy, if you're after stronger stuff. Should it knock you out, you can always reach for the svaq.

It looks like you've got original ideas, and a developed writing style to give them form. Little details (such as the non-existence of golf-balls and Times newspapers in Santharia) can be worked on! My tip for a start would be to take your favourite idea and make a thread in the appropriate forum (sniper's root in the Herbarium, for example), and then to work with the commentators (who will no doubt come) to develop your idea and integrate it into the Santharian Dream.

What else can I say?

In the beginning, read as much as you can and familiarize yourself with the world. Travel everywhere your fancy takes you, but do stay away from Miraran's greenhouses; and only visit Kalina if you don't mind the smell of her pet dragons.

Furthermore, if you meet someone called Sordoc the Great, run for your sanity (he'll try to recite his poetry to you; you don't want to know more ...). And in the presence of Remusians (that's those with the funny "...-eck-..." in their names), don't say the word "magic".

I hope you'll enjoy yourself here!

Shabakuk

The greatest danger in life is that you may take too many precautions.
Ding-dong!
Seeker
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 465

Fire Mage

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 June 2011, 13:47:26 »

Vergos welcome.  clap2 Great to see you ave some good ideas already.  By the looks of it very clever and unique ideas.  Look forward to see what you come up with for your first entry.  Just make sure you use the appropriate template for the type of entry you are doing and give it  shot.  Be prepared for comments and suggestions.  thumbup

Every entry deserves a picture.   -Seeker
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 09 June 2011, 13:53:43 »

Welcome! :)

*snatches a dochnut and vanishes again*

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Athviaro Shyu-eck-Silfayr
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 64

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 June 2011, 16:29:34 »

Welcome!

Despite what Shabakuk says, there is nothing wrong with the Remusians...and eck only means "of".#

Otherwise, what they said. I'm intrigued by your ideas, and look forward to seeing them nicely templated. Use the right icons for your entries (from the drop down list; either "Status One - Work in Progress" or "Status Two - Ready for Comments") and ... yeah... can't think of anything else. Good spelling, good grammar - but you seem to have that (anyway, it can be checked) - and British English spellings, in case you didn't know.

Not much more to say...Enjoy!

Ath

"I don't care what you did as a boy."
"Well, I did nothing as a girl, so there goes my childhood." - Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire, The Gay Divorcee, 1934.
The Life and Works of Athviaro Shyu-eck-Silfayr
Kalta'hnk - My ramblings on anything to do with the Glandorians - The Glandorian Men (Proposal)
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 June 2011, 23:08:04 »

Those look like Northern plants. The North could use more plants. We don't have enough plants in the North. I should know, since I work in the Northern areas. Perhaps, up North, if you're interested Vergos, you can see about placing your plant ideas. The North is not all cold, you know. We're very diverse up North.

It's fun up North

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Val O´Neil
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 33

Flutterby Oddity

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 June 2011, 01:06:26 »

Hello, Vergos Exitalis!

I'm Val, and I don't do much of anything that has any real impact here- I write butterflies, but the world needs butterflies, right? :P  Be sure take a thorough look around at things in whatever area(s) you decide to put your lovely creations, as to integrate them into the world. I'm pretty sure you won't have any trouble with it... Anyway!

grin  I enjoyed that short read above very much. It looks like you have some good ideas that you can run with, here. The tree bending reminds me of the Druids, though since I don't really know anything about them I can't say whether or not they're actually similar in any way. Here's a couple links if you would like to look over the Druids:
Druidic Orders  and  Druidic Magic

Hope you enjoy your stay here! *Throws handfuls of butterflies around and runs off!*

Bobspeed,
heart ~ Val ~ heart

Nature is our wildest home. It includes the oceans that provide our rain, the trees that give us air to breathe, the ancestral habitats we shared with countless kinds of animals that now exist only by our sufferance or under our heel.-Edward Hoagland
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 10 June 2011, 03:04:39 »

Hello and welcome from me as well, Vergos! wave

As you can see your ideas are very welcome, now just try to quench it in our regular format, iron out the little problems, and maybe even Santhariarize the names a bit wherever possible (e.g. Amadeus also is a bit Earthen/Latin), here a thread like this might help - even though it's not complete.

At any rate: Welcome to the Dream, let's hope for a long and productive stay of your creativity around these boards! :D

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]