Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Painting: Felicia  (Read 1868 times)
Val O就eil
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 33

Flutterby Oddity

View Profile
« on: 19 June 2011, 01:27:18 »

Judith's picture made me want to attempt something with beads on it- and, Wow!, are beads a pain in my butt- and attempt a different skin tone. So, here you go!
(Her face still looks like a white girl to me, though) :/

I stole the pose from a rather tasteful nude picture of an actress (the receptionist chick, Pam, on the show "The Office").

Now, I'm going to go lift a weight with my left arm or something... All that mouse-work with my right hand has left my arms feeling uneven. buck

EDIT: Second with a slightly lighter skin tone.
« Last Edit: 19 June 2011, 02:24:28 by Val O就eil » Logged

Nature is our wildest home. It includes the oceans that provide our rain, the trees that give us air to breathe, the ancestral habitats we shared with countless kinds of animals that now exist only by our sufferance or under our heel.-Edward Hoagland
Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 144

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 19 June 2011, 02:14:31 »

Awesome pic, Val. :)

Though, I have the same unease with this one as I do with Judith's latest.  I feel it is a bit too modern.

That said, the quality of your work is outstanding.  Auried. thumbup

PS: Feel free to PM me the original nude version.... for artistic purposes, of course. rolleyes

"Lather...Rinse...Repeat"   Why has God made my life so complicated?

This is what I'm working on
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 19 June 2011, 02:54:24 »

Val, don't tell me, that this is your first attempt to do a human digitally, or your frog being your first.. and that you don't know, how to paint digitally? Hah!

This is already so good - except the knitted background! ;) That looks too much like a fabric - and an imported texture, which does not so well fit with the style of the woman. The lower half, the wood, is good.

The woman needs, I think a second going over it, to make the painting a bit more .. hmm.. delicate, finer? Now it still looks a bit like the next to last version, especially the skirt.

But, in general, I'm really IMPRESSED!  thumbup

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Val O就eil
Santh. Member

Flutterby Oddity

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 June 2011, 05:07:24 »

Alright. So, I played with it a bit more, added a bunch more shading here and there. Tell me what you think. :)

I'll change the wallpaper soon.

Nature is our wildest home. It includes the oceans that provide our rain, the trees that give us air to breathe, the ancestral habitats we shared with countless kinds of animals that now exist only by our sufferance or under our heel.-Edward Hoagland

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 19 June 2011, 05:14:38 »

Sorry, no time in the moment, my family is waiting. Maybe tomorrow!

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
Val O就eil
Santh. Member

Flutterby Oddity

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 June 2011, 06:38:17 »

Honest, Talia, this is only my third or so picture done digitally. I'm a fast learner.

Here's the final version, unless there's anything else anyone maybe thinks I should add?
« Last Edit: 19 June 2011, 11:17:38 by Val O就eil » Logged

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 19 June 2011, 19:08:24 »

Hi Val, I'm curious how your tenth pic will look like! :D
What for tool did you use to create this one, GIMP? And how long did you need to finish it?

Background: Very nice wall now, maybe a bit bland, but more later.

Val, as I said, this is already a very nice picture, especially as a third one! (But of course your talent is there and you practised already with pencil etc, you just need to learn to get your talent expressed with the means of digital art. ) I know very well how you feel right now: you find your picture very well done, you love it as it is, don't want to change anything, you want to be finished with it. Right.

Though I still think, there could be some improvements in general,  that is not my main concern now. We have another, and Alt mentioned one aspect already.

- it looks a bit too modern, or
- The main question is: How could we intergrate it in the compendium?
- Does it look somehow medieval?
- Who could this person be? She is very lightly dressed, her hair not very well combed, why should she go into the Compendium? Is she a barmaid, a maid, a runaway noble girl in distress (no, she does look fairly confident), or somebody else?

Right now she stands a bit solely in the picture, maybe some additions would help, a picture at the wall which hints at something..., but what?

I would propose following: Leave her as she is now, present her to the public (or I do, if you wish so), ask, who this could be. Then, when there are coming ideas AND when you have had some distance to her, maybe you could add this or that, to make her truly Santharian.

Agreed?

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 19 June 2011, 19:11:56 »

While you are waiting, you could improve the lower wall, the panel a bit: Just add a darker line as shadow on the right side of a plank, a lighter one on the left side, to give it more depth. (your lightsource is left)

I think Art prefers to add your signatur himself, so your's should not be on the right side down there, at least not so dominant. Faugar adds his sig somewhere else, fairly small. You can do this differently though, if you load it up elsewhere also, on deviantart e.g.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 20 June 2011, 02:40:50 »

Yep, I agree - this is already a very good picture, Val! :) Especially as it is only among the first digital paintings you've drawn so far this is great work! So aura +1 for that already!

Talia already mentioned several things that don't quite work yet, though, like: She looks a bit out of context, thus modern, more Jenna Fischer-like, so definitely could use more medieval touch. The way she stands there could be made e.g. into some sort of prancing noblewoman by adding some more jewelry in the hair, around the arms, things like that - to make just a rough suggestion.

Weak points are still the background wood panel (see e.g. what Judy does with wood in her Snuffwort pic compared to your version. A good digital texture found on the internet could already do a marvellous job there, then you'd only have to split the panels manually.

Also, if you lock at the skirt, you actually see regular texture shining through, just the way it is at the wooden panel behind. At least it looks that way as if some wooden grain going straight down is visible on the cloth as well. I recommend to iron these things out and to make sure that the wrinkles in the fabric are really depicted as such, as curvy flowing lines.

But all these are only suggestions on a already very well done picture, Val! If you continue improving your work with that speed we'll have a full-fledged artists among us in no time... ;)

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]