Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: R'unorian Legislation Update  (Read 1118 times)
Valan Nonesuch

Gained Aura: 113

Like a pudding bag full of knives

View Profile
« on: 09 March 2012, 08:35:56 »

Original. Ran into some troubles with the ambiguity here. Mostly the organization of laws, shouldn't be too big of an update, mostly just shifting things around.

R'unorian law is one of the many facets of day-to-day life of R'unor controlled by the Imperial Court of R'unor. The Imperial Court itself is responsible for the administration of justice through the governors that form it and from them to the various Aspects: appointed judges responsible for dealing with matters of Base Law within a given canton.

R'unorian Judicial System
Imperial Law is the domain of the Triumvirate. Barring extreme circumstances, no changes to Imperial Law can be expected. It is from Imperial Law that the Triumvirate draws its powers and they are outlined in excruciating detail within the body of that law.

The judicial system of R'unor begins with the Empress herself. The Empress is the final arbiter of R'unorian High Law, and through the Imperial Court responsible for judgement of crimes and disputes of High Law.
The majority of Base Law is the responsibility of the governors of R'unor, and through them the Aspects. Aspects are individuals appointed to settle and judge Base Law and collect taxes within a given area. An Aspect does not have a fixed place where they perform this task but travels between settlements in a specific order and deals with each in turn. Governors are responsible for setting Canton laws, while city law is a matter of consensus.

Imperial Law: Imperial Laws are those which apply to the entire nation of R'unor. Occasionally referred to as Imperial Mandate, these laws are considered, by and large, to be immutable. Imperial Law is founded on the codes and customs laid down by Varana Turtleblessed after the Unification of R'unor in 3200 b.S. Imperial Law includes the imperial succession, as well as the creation of the Triumvirate and the restriction of the power of the Empress. All of R'unor, including the Empress herself, is bound by Imperial Law. Imperial Law also includes the restrictions on lethal, particularly bladed, weapons which persist to this day.

High Law: Laws which tend to govern the upper part of R'unorian society, mostly applying to the nobility. High Law outlines the proper way for wealth and responsibility to be distributed following the death of the head of the household, the transfer of property and goods and the responsibilities of a landowner. High Law is as much a set of codified customs and traditions as it is laws, and rarely changes. High Law is also interesting for including the codified rules regarding blood feuds between families or within families themselves.

Base Law:
Base Laws or Common Laws are the laws of the masses. While these may affect the nobility, matters of base law are more likely to touch the life of a common fisherman or merchant than others. Base law can be divided into three categories: Canton Law, City Law, and Trade Law.

Canton Law: Canton Law consists of the individual laws of a canton, a section of the kingdom overseen by a governor on behalf of the Empress herself. Canton Law includes laws of petty crimes, the ability of a governor to levy troops from within the Canton, laws regarding the maintenance of roads or the disposition of land and the degree of taxation. Much of canton law is similar between the cantons of R'unor only varying as the needs of the canton do. In some cases the law may be identical but the punishment for breaking it may be radically different.

City Law: City Law is the law of an individual settlement. City Law is sometimes called "People's Law", as they are subject to the approval and voting of the residents of that settlement. City Law includes the disposition of lawbreakers, curfew within a given settlement, restrictions on business and trade, including prices.

Trade Law: Trade Law governs outsiders and their interaction. Travel to and from R'unor, imports and exports and various and sundry minutiae involved with the outside world are all covered in Trade Law. A small portion of trade law covers the creation and value of R'unorian currency as well as penalties for counterfeiting. Trade Law is laid down by the Imperial Court and affects all of R'unor equally but it is enforced by a canton's governor.

Crime and Punishment
Punishment within the Kingdom of R'unor differs from that of other nations. There are no prisons on R'unor, excepting a few cells where accused are held before they stand trial. While execution is still a possible punishment, it requires a crime of a rather severe magnitude in order to be considered.
Most crimes are punished by enforced labour. Criminals are conscripted into menial but necessary tasks in order to maintain aspects of daily life. Sweeping streets or markets, repairing sections of road, mining. In some cases, criminals have even been harnessed to plow fields.
« Last Edit: 31 March 2012, 17:05:43 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

Beyond the horizon where the earth and the heavens meet
lies a certain point where they are not joined together and where, by stooping,
one might pass under the roof of the heavens.
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 13 March 2012, 03:44:23 »

I see you take your R'unorian rework quite seriously, Valan - a lot of the information is definitely outdated or quite sketchy. So any attempt to get things in order is welcome :) Looks like you went for something more or less new here, which is fine with me, because Xenos is not around since a decade or so, and I doubt that the rework will cause any problem.

A few comments:

- This sentence in the Overview seems to have something missing:

The Imperial Court itself is responsible for the administration of justice through the governors that form it and out to the various Aspects responsible for dealing with matters of Base Law within a given canton.

There's something wrong with the "and out". I already wanted to correct "Aspects" to "aspects", but that is because I don't know when reading this passage alone that "Aspects are individuals appointed to settle and judge Base Law and collect taxes within a given area" - as you explain later. That should probably find its way as well into the Overview.

- Something's missing here:

High Law is as much a set of codified customs and traditions as it is laws, and rarely changes.

- The sections could be organised a bit nice, e.g. the caption on top in bold, then Canton Law, City Law and Trade Law as a sub-captions of Base Law - just to make ti easier for the reader and help me later when I integrate it :)

- I notice that you use the term "canton" instead of "province" or anything similar. We haven't used that term yet on the site, but I guess it doesn't hurt to have something different for R'unor. So good idea to have something new there.

- The singular/plural use in the following passage is a bit confusing:

City Law is the laws of an individual settlement. City Laws are sometimes called "People's Law"...

Suggest the following:

City Law is the law of an individual settlement. City Law is sometimes called "People's Law"...

- I would put the section "R'unorian Judicial System" on top, after the Overview, explaining the whole basic thing (the various laws can be briefly sketched in a sentence or two), then go into details with the various Laws. Guess that's easier to understand than the other way round.

- Another fix:

It is from Imperial Law that the Triumvirate draws its powers...

Okeydokey, so much from here... Hope it helps to get the entry in final shape, Valan!  cool

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Valan Nonesuch

Gained Aura: 113

Like a pudding bag full of knives

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 March 2012, 00:35:36 »

The only serious restructuring I've deliberately made here is to remove the power to legislate from two parts of the Triumvirate and place it solidly with the Imperial Court. Most of what is done is really just simplifying Xenos original entry and adding a few of the laws I've referred to already (mostly through weapon entries) or intend to make use of later on.

With any luck I'll have the Imperial Court ready to go on site with this by the next update. Though I've still got those mountains to finish writing, and the snail for Seth, the Ska'kallin revision...
And I think after that I've got a half dozen or so entries to bring up to speed with the site standards as they are now.

Beyond the horizon where the earth and the heavens meet
lies a certain point where they are not joined together and where, by stooping,
one might pass under the roof of the heavens.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]