Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Ximax Wind Tower Lobby pic  (Read 3252 times)
Seeker
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 465

Fire Mage

View Profile
« on: 21 March 2012, 13:07:17 »

OK, so my inspiration is starting to wain on this wind tower lobby.  I figured I would post this draft while I regain my strength.

I of course still need some wandering people and I need to clean up alot of the edges and there needs to be some more textures etc.  Nevertheless please feel free to give me your thoughts.

The inside of the Wind Tower is decorated in elegant purplish hues, tinged with pale blue and gray. The tower is lit in its entirety by braziers that, instead of holding a flame, hold glowing orbs of static charge. In the main lobby, with decoration inspired by the element of wind, hangs an impressive chandelier made entirely out of lightning. The chandelier, the only one of its kind, is a magnificent and startling sight. Above it, currents of wind continually flow, swirling and spiraling over the ceiling.

Within the tower are several small "rogue winds" that wander through the main halls and are often most prominent in the lobby and first few floors. The rogue winds seem to have a life of their own, and while none of the teachers will say where they came from, students generally assume that they are spells that, having gone haywire upon cast, now roam about the building--sometimes scattering papers or ruffling robes. Because these winds are rarely found in places where they might cause real disaster, they are completely harmless.

The Wind Tower has a special place within the realm of lore. According to myth, when the Tower of Wind falls, the Armageddon will be at hand.
« Last Edit: 11 May 2012, 21:27:28 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

Every entry deserves a picture.   -Seeker
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 22 March 2012, 03:42:36 »

What you have so far looks pretty interesting, Seeker, but the most difficult thing on this one is definitely to make it clear that motion is a key element of the picture... For one the clothes on the guys and/or the hair could be shown in motion, a Gandalf-like magician might be holding his hat or some parchments might fly away from students carrying a bunch of books etc. Maybe to add to the effect you could even have a wizard in the center "juggling" with balls of lights or something which leave a trail in the air, thus making clear what's going on. I think more in the lighting department would also help, e.g. at the braziers and some lights on the chandelier would be great. In general I would recommend to show winds not only on the ceiling - as this might be taken for the ceiling itself, but some could actually circle around the chandelier, once again adding to the motion effect.

These are all loose suggestions of course, which might be easier or more difficult to realize, but they should at least indicate a direction to make the picture more "windy" :)

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Seeker
Santh. Member

Fire Mage

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 March 2012, 11:47:46 »

Thanks for the tips Art.  I was really struggling with this one.  Here is an update.  I am open to more suggestions, but crossing my fingers we are almost there.

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 26 March 2012, 12:45:30 »

Yeah!   That chandelier is de-light-ful.... and the central mage losing his hat is perfect.   

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 27 March 2012, 03:32:16 »

I guess we're slowly getting there, Seeker - it's a lot more windy now than in the first version, so it has gained some necessary dynamic and conveys the idea behind it much better! :D - Still I think there's more that could be done here and there, without dramatic changes. Here's what I would propose:

- The characters walking around don't drop shadows, which is why they look pasted. Same with the orbs and plants BTW.
- The storm at the ceiling is much better now, though it is very opaque.  Maybe you can add some more half transparent swirls still or reduce transparency on some of the current ones, thus also making it closer to the usually unseen wind element.
- The lighting could also be improved. For example the orbs could really shine if a Photoshop light is used effectively behind the current objects. And some light effects on some branches of the lightning on top might also look cool.
- The brown ground texture also isn't that spectacular as of yet - maybe you can find something there as well.

So these are the things I would suggest to still play around with - I think there's still some potential in this one!  cool

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Seeker
Santh. Member

Fire Mage

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 March 2012, 09:49:40 »

Thanks for the tips on this Art.  I have been around long enough I think you can tell when I am struggling and could use the help.  I think after this one I will step away from Ximax for a while until the inspiration returns.  Even though I have some good ideas for the Fire tower lobby.

I have the need to do another landscape picture. A pretty one. :)

Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 144

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 March 2012, 09:54:30 »

Majicky stuff just sucks the lifeblood from you.  Or so I've been told, as I've never actually done any majicky stuff. buck

"Lather...Rinse...Repeat"   Why has God made my life so complicated?

This is what I'm working on
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 30 March 2012, 23:07:49 »

Looks very good now, Seeker, for the most part - it really has the energy of wind in it, no doubt :D Also the added shadows are very cool and make a big difference.  thumbup Aura +1!

As for the lights of the globe: As I said some simple Photoshopping could still be very effective here. There are a few instances where this can really help to improve a drawn pic, I guess this is one such example. So I've tried to make a simple update on the pic to show you what I mean (see attachment). This is a lense flare effect - very simple and could e.g. be put behind the globes on a layer or made more transparent etc., but gives the whole thing another interesting quality methinks. Let me know what you think... Maybe you have such effects available at your painting program?
« Last Edit: 30 March 2012, 23:17:00 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

Seeker
Santh. Member

Fire Mage

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 31 March 2012, 05:18:58 »

Ah yes the lens flare.  And it looks very good how you suggest.  I will get that put in tonight or tomorrow.  :)

Seeker
Santh. Member

Fire Mage

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01 April 2012, 12:10:27 »

Here you go.

Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 103

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 April 2012, 13:26:41 »

Aurawesome.

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's none at all down here on Earth." - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #11 on: 01 April 2012, 15:32:09 »

Looks very dramatic now, very effective, Seeker! thumbup Will see to put it up in this week's update!  :)

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]