Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Twin Fever  (Read 6721 times)
Valan Nonesuch

Gained Aura: 113

Like a pudding bag full of knives

View Profile
« on: 30 March 2012, 04:32:33 »

It occurred to me. We don't have any... more colourful regions, regarding diseases. I present to you, therefore, Caeleretharian Malaria. Mostly Nybelmarian true to its terran roots it likes the warmer climates and the wet. Correct me if I've misplaced it, and forgive me as the Styrash and Thergerim are both an absolute mess.
From a purely developmental point of view, carried by insects.

Name:
Twin Fever, Vai'sys'terquas, Bareyhiida (Double Sight Sickness)

Categorisation: Miscellaneous / Diseases

Overview:
Twin Fever is a disease native to the south-western continents of R'unor and Nybelmar. It is a fairly common illness there, particularly in the wet regions. As it's name suggests, Twin Fever begins with a fever and has the unusual property of causing sufferers to see double.

Symptoms:
Twin Fever's most obvious symptom is that of seeing double. Sufferers begin to report seeing double images, slightly displaced from one another, slowly worsening until their vision becomes blurry.
The disease begins with a mild fever, which steadily grows worse as the afflicted becomes more and more ill. The fever carries with it the usual symptoms such as lethargy, or aching of the joints and head. More severe cases may include convulsions, vomiting, or passing bloody urine.

Some time after onset of the fever, the victim begins seeing double. These images tend to seem hazy, or indistinct. Lights may seem to be much too bright, or vision may suddenly start to swim. In extreme cases it becomes hard to see, and everything the afflicted can see seems to be through a layer of fine gauze. It is thought that the centre of this fever resides in or around the eyes in order to affect vision thusly.

As the disease progresses, the victim may find their sight returning to normal, without the fever having broken. This is often considered a sure sign of death, as the fever is thought to have progressed away from the eyes and into the brain.

Effects:
In its earliest stages, Twin Fever is relatively unnoticed until the full brunt of the fever hits. Once the patient well and truly ill, however, Twin Fever can be considered debilitating. Between delirium from the fever itself, and the double vision victims experience severe nausea, which tends to be partly responsible for vomiting.
Most healers keep victims of Twin Fever in bed if they are still capable of walking, as they have been known to manage accidental harm as a result of their impaired sight and unsteady footing.

In particularly extreme cases, if the victim recovers, their eyesight can be irreparably damaged even as far as blindness. The fever itself may leave an individual who has "recovered" from the illness too weak and lead to their death from other ailments.

Cure/Prevention: There is no known treatment for Twin Fever. The fever brought on by the disease can be alleviated with fever reducers, but whether or not the patient recovers is a matter of chance. Children and the elderly are the groups at highest risk, followed by foreigners to regions particularly prone to outbreaks. Individuals from outside of R'unor and Nybelmar do not possess the resistance of natives and often suffer the longest before expiring.

Vector/Cause:
How an individual is infected is not definitively known.
It is known that Twin Fever exclusively affects humans, sparing all other races. It does not seem to be contagious, rather arising seemingly spontaneously in several members of an afflicted region at once.

Twin Fever is found exclusively, it seems, in Nybelmar and the surrounding Regions (R'unor and the Crimson Isles). Outbreaks of this disease seem to occur following a warm, wet spring and a stormy summer which leads some to believe that the illness is carried in the rain.
A summer which features sudden downpours of rain followed by a near-drought is often called the "killing summer". The increased heat may kill the afflicted before the disease runs its course as they die of thirst.

Some of the peoples of Nybelmar and the isles of R'unor exhibit a characteristic resistance to Twin Fever. The Gondolmen and the "Vikh both exhibit an uncanny resilience to Twin Fever, if they contract it at all. Among the Ter'ei'vikh, children born with darker hair and members of the outcast Tehuriden clan display this more strongly than the average "Vikh. Certain Zhunites may also exhibit this resistance, but it is unconfirmed.
On R'unor, all four of the human tribes bear some resistance to Twin fever, with it showing least strongly in the Phthia and N'eshmor.
« Last Edit: 11 July 2012, 05:06:14 by Valan Nonesuch » Logged

Beyond the horizon where the earth and the heavens meet
lies a certain point where they are not joined together and where, by stooping,
one might pass under the roof of the heavens.
Valan Nonesuch

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 19 April 2012, 23:50:55 »

Any problems with this one?

Athviaro Shyu-eck-Silfayr
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 64

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 April 2012, 16:18:12 »

It occurred to me. We don't have any... more colourful regions, regarding diseases. I present to you, therefore, Caeleretharian Malaria. Mostly Nybelmarian true to its terran roots it likes the warmer climates and the wet. Correct me if I've misplaced it, and forgive me as the Styrash and Thergerim are both an absolute mess.
From a purely developmental point of view, carried by insects.

Name:

Overview:
Twin Fever Nothing here...

Symptoms:
Twin Fever's most obvious symptom is that of seeing double. Sufferers begin to report seeing double images, slightly displaced from one another. The disease begins with a mild fever, which steadily grows worse as the afflicted becomes more and more ill. The fever carries with it the usual symptoms such as lethargy, or aching of the joints. More severe cases may include convulsions, vomiting, or bloody urine. In extreme cases, assuming the afflicted survives, they may experience poor vision or even blindness after recovering.

Effects:
In its earliest stages, Twin Fever is relatively unnoticed until the full brunt of the fever hits. Once the patient is well and truly ill, however, Twin Fever can be considered debilitating. Between delirium from the fever itself, and the double vision victims experience severe nausea, which tends to be partly responsible for vomiting.
Most healers keep victims of Twin Fever in bed if they are still capable of walking, as they have been known to do what?

Cure/Prevention: There is no known treatment for Twin Fever itself. The fever itself can be dealt with as any fever, with fever reducers, but whether or not the patient recovers is a matter of chance. Children and the elderly are the groups with the highest mortality rate, followed by foreigners to regions particularly prone to outbreaks. Individuals from outside of R'unor and Nybelmar do not possess the resistance of natives and often suffer the longest.

Vector/Cause:
It is known that Twin Fever exclusively affects humans, sparing all other races. It does not seem to be contagious, rather arising seemingly spontaneously in several members of an afflicted region at once.

Twin Fever is found exclusively, it seems, in Nybelmar and the surrounding Regionscapital R on regions? (R'unor and the Crimson Isles). Outbreaks of this disease seem to occur following a warm, wet spring and a stormy summer which leads some to believe that the illness is carried in the rain.
A summer which features sudden downpours of rain followed by a near-drought is often called the "killing summer". The increased heat may kill the afflicted before the disease runs its course as they die of thirst.

Some of the peoples of Nybelmar and the isles of R'unor exhibit a characteristic resistance to Twin Fever. The Gondolmen and the "Vikh both exhibit an uncanny resilience to Twin Fever, if they contract it at all. Among the Ter'ei'vikh, children born with darker hair and members of the outcast Tehuriden clan display this more strongly than the average "VikhI just want to check if a double quote mark is correct here - is it?. Certain Zhunites may also exhibit this resistance, but it is unconfirmed.
On R'unor, all four of the human tribes bear some resistance to Twin fever, with it showing least strongly in the Phthia and N'eshmor.

"I don't care what you did as a boy."
"Well, I did nothing as a girl, so there goes my childhood." - Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire, The Gay Divorcee, 1934.
The Life and Works of Athviaro Shyu-eck-Silfayr
Kalta'hnk - My ramblings on anything to do with the Glandorians - The Glandorian Men (Proposal)
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 20 April 2012, 17:26:48 »

Valan, that looks  good. Some ideas I had when skimming through it.

Name:

Overview:
Twin Fever

Why 'twin' fever, from seeing double? Not immediately obvious, maybe you have another explanation as well?

Symptoms:
Twin Fever's most obvious symptom is that of seeing double. Sufferers begin to report seeing double images, slightly displaced from one another. The disease begins with a mild fever, which steadily grows worse as the afflicted becomes more and more ill. The fever carries with it the usual symptoms such as lethargy, or aching of the joints. More severe cases may include convulsions, vomiting, or bloody urine. In extreme cases, assuming the afflicted survives, they may experience poor vision or even blindness after recovering.

Maybe  tell us in the overview already, that this is often/most times a lethal decease.
 Add stuff which is not common on earth.
 Does the double images get stronger (more apart from each other), when the decease gets stronger? What about triple images?

Effects:
In its earliest stages, Twin Fever is relatively unnoticed until the full brunt of the fever hits. Once the patient is well and truly ill, however, Twin Fever can be considered debilitating. Between delirium from the fever itself, and the double vision victims experience severe nausea, which tends to be partly responsible for vomiting.
Most healers keep victims of Twin Fever in bed if they are still capable of walking, as they have been known

I'm not sure what the difference between effects and symptoms is
Is it always so strong, or are mild versions possible also, maybe some which go even by unnoticed?

Cure/Prevention: There is no known treatment for Twin Fever itself. The fever itself can be dealt with as any fever, with fever reducers, but whether or not the patient recovers is a matter of chance. Children and the elderly are the groups with the highest mortality rate, followed by foreigners to regions particularly prone to outbreaks. Individuals from outside of R'unor and Nybelmar do not possess the resistance of natives and often suffer the longest.

Red - expression (and analysis) seems to modern to me. Maybe even the resistance could be explained differently. Residence means, that the people have the illness also, but don't react to it. However, you could explain this differently also. Maybe the natives don't get it, because their gods protect them, but not the foreigners? Maybe if a native gets it, it is a punishment by the gods? (Don't know right know, if this fits to the religion concept though) Or any other reason?

Vector/Cause:

Twin Fever is found exclusively, it seems, in Nybelmar and the surrounding Regions (R'unor and the Crimson Isles). Outbreaks of this disease seem to occur following a warm, wet spring and a stormy summer which leads some to believe that the illness is carried in the rain.

That rain idea is great!

Some of the peoples of Nybelmar and the isles of R'unor exhibit a characteristic resistance to Twin Fever. The Gondolmen and the "Vikh both exhibit an uncanny resilience to Twin Fever, if they contract it at all. Among the Ter'ei'vikh, children born with darker hair and members of the outcast Tehuriden clan display this more strongly than the average "Vikh. Certain Zhunites may also exhibit this resistance, but it is unconfirmed.

Some lore/myth? Why does it affect only the humans? Why does it come with the rain? Why that double seeing? Does that tell us something, what should we learn from it?

Good base Valan, now add something special to it! Does not have to be a lot though. And take your time with lore/myth, those ideas cannot be forced.
:)

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 103

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 April 2012, 22:26:00 »

When I see the word 'twin' I always think that of two people/things that look identical ... or seeing double. Maybe that's what Valan was meaning by it.

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's none at all down here on Earth." - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 03 May 2012, 02:44:50 »

I see you've updated your post a few days after Talia's suggestions - are you finished with your changes? Don't forget to say so, because then I can take another look!

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Valan Nonesuch

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 May 2012, 08:21:29 »

@Art: I've been busy getting set to move back from school, so I haven't had time to make all of the edits I want, or to explain some of the edits I won't be making.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 04 May 2012, 03:36:21 »

Just take your time, Valan, no need to hurry... Real life is first no course!  thumbup

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Valan Nonesuch

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 July 2012, 05:02:57 »

I've had a great deal of trouble actually getting the edits to this saved, as well as writing this post, since I keep getting drawn away from it. So, apologies for the extra dose of bluntness here, I'm making sure I get it all down and post it, rather than trying to tip-toe around and be eloquent.

Quick rundown: Dek has it right. Twin has to do with seeing two identical (if horribly blurry objects). Seeing something so that it seems to have a twin. I really didn't think it was that hard to understand!

Any resistances to the fever are purely racially related. I imagine that it would affect halflings, but since they are so horribly unlikely to encounter it they aren't getting any mention because there probably isn't a recorded case. Everyone else either traces ancestry to the ancient krean (the Tedhurien included) or to a non human race. The R'unorian tribes mentioned have elvish or orcish interbreeding in their history. Genetic conditions can (and do) provide resistance to disease.

So: To explain edits that I won't be making
-I'm not adding more fantastic symptoms, not everything needs to be fraas and krytoses and turning blue. Tolkien, not Carroll
-I'm not going to be adding further explanation of why it happens when it rains because frankly the mystery is nice. Want to know why it happens after it rains? It's carried by biting insects. That spawn in the water. That's all dev knowledge.
-The observations that I've made are perfectly rational ones that a native R'unorian would make. That guy got sicker than I did. Guess it's because he's foreign.

There will be as much lore and myth as I can reasonably manage without turning out some hackneyed excuse for a fairy tale.

Kelancey the Green
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 26

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 11 July 2012, 05:32:56 »

Shocks. Pegs. Lucky! [Thank you, Napoleon Dynamite.]

This is well-thought out. I'm envious of how thoroughly you've covered this disease. This is a great fantasy description of malaria, and yet very fitting to have in that region of Caelereth.  thumbup  thumbup

"Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."
--Master Yoda
Valan Nonesuch

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11 July 2012, 05:35:03 »

Imagine my surprise when I'd discovered that Mira had beaten me to it? Greenfever or some similar ailment (green was in the name). And frankly I'd say he did a better job of it buck

Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11 July 2012, 05:43:10 »

The Nybelmar devs did a good job of covering many aspects of their area (either in an entry or as a developing idea on the boards somewhere).

I was going to ask how the disease is known to be exclusive to Nybelmar/Ru'nor. Perhaps a physician from Sarvonia documented it there and nowhere else he knows of. In fact, maybe just a small vague blurb that it is "believed" to be exclusive to Ru'nor according to Sarvonian scholars.

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #12 on: 24 July 2012, 04:10:52 »

So... Is this the same disease as Mira described, Valan? Which means this entry cannot be used? Or how different is this one? What are we supposed to do now in this regard? shocked

Valan Nonesuch

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 24 July 2012, 10:31:31 »

I believe the two diseases are dis-similar enough in symptoms and region that it should work.
I think Mira and I just both happened to start from malaria or other insect borne illness. I'll probably restrict the range of this illness a little more, having found a similar one.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #14 on: 25 July 2012, 03:18:23 »

Still adjusting then? As you have the pencil icon up... Anyway, make sure to conclude your final draft to make it ready for final checks.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]