Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Kelancey's AoA--Afflictions of the Sanguine, Women's Cramps  (Read 4017 times)
Kelancey the Green
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 26

View Profile Homepage
« on: 13 June 2012, 18:04:29 »

WOMEN'S CRAMPS
Overview
During their reproductive years, women undergo a wash of sanguine which comes over them approximately once every cycle of the moon.  These are women's cycles, known in different parts of the world as courses, mooncycles, or colloquially referred to as 'a visit from the Washday guest'.  The end of each cycle brings forth courses lasting roughly five days, rejuvenating the womb should she carry a child within the following cycle of the moon.  Maladies associated with these courses may be attributed to excess of sanguine and welling up of animá, which manifest various aches and woes at the ebb of her cycle.

Symptoms and Effects
In every race, females build up a wellspring of sanguine in their wombs on a recurring basis; this is the basis of females' cycles.  At the beginning of her cycle, each female issues forth a wash of this built-up sanguine, a purge of blood via her myrnin.  This issuance of blood, her courses, is usually harmless in itself, but the accompanying symptoms may be a source of anguish to a female, varying in severity from one individual to the next, and from one cycle to the next.

Cramps of the womb are common during a woman's cycle, but not every female gets them, nor do they necessarily occur with each of her courses.  Furthermore, some women have reported that they feel a stabbing or tightening pain on one side of the belly in between her courses.  Along with this, the rising tide of animá may cause rising tides of waters to give her cheeks new flush and fullness.  Headaches are not uncommon, nor are depressive bouts unheard of during these times.  Muscle aches of the back, hips, and even the limbs may assail her during this time.  She may develop turgor of her breasts, a painful experience during some cycles, but not all, and not all females experience this in the same way.  If the flow of blood is heavy, she may eventually develop a deficiency of sanguine, leading to lightheadedness, fainting, pallor of the skin, or even shortness of breath.

Incidence, Causes
Women's cramps occur among females during their reproductive years.  In human women, this tends to occur between the ages of 15 to 35, with the courses ebbing toward the end of her fifth decade of life.  In dwarven females, childbearing may occur only once in a lifespan, and the frequency of courses is diminished somewhat in comparison with human females, recurring about every two months.  Elven females have regular cycles, typically annually, though these vary in frequency and age of initiation and cessation depending on each female's tribe and life expectancy.  Female hobbits start their courses later in life, typically in their third decade, recurring approximately every month, and usually cease their courses in their seventh or eighth decade of life.  It would greatly behoove all of us healers if a dedicated gnomish doctor were to take on a meticulous study of the mooncycles and the changes in workings of the body that accompany them.

Diagnosis
Apart from a woman's courses indicating the cause of her woes, analysis of the urine will demonstrate a reddish tinge and higher viscosity than usual.  Her blood will be stronger and more ebullient than at other times during the month.  Some women report swelling of their breasts during this time, and yet others report a similar swelling mid-month between courses.

Cure/Prevention
In many instances, the Alrik'ran root is the ideal remedy. The root of the Alrik'ran bush is washed, dried, peeled, then chewed, acting as a remedy for cramps, headaches or other complaints during women's cycles.  Alternatively, adding freshly-cut sunsmile (or sunspark) flowers to a warm bath enhances soothing of aching muscles and joints.

History, Myth/Lore, et al.
Women's courses are known throughout Sarvonia as menses, monthlies, women's time,  the red tide, moon time,  Dame Scarlet, and the ruddies.  I am sure that each of these terms has a colorful history, which shall remain tucked away in folklore for the present.  For a more thorough examination of courses and remedies for them, the reader is asked to read "The Facts of Life - A Santharian Mother's Letter to her Daughter".  An interesting note is that intercourse during the time of a woman's courses will almost never produce offspring, though there are exceptions to every rule in medicine.

Priestesses of Jeyriall hold the belief that women's cycles are Jeyriall's flow, washing the womb with life and blessing her with fecundity.  Strangely, courses do not always promise that a woman will become great with child in the immediate future.  The priestesses assert that courses are not a guarantee that a woman will become pregnant, but rather a sign from the Goddess that She is keeping watch over each of her daughters and blessing them all.  Priests and priestesses of Etherus, on the other hand, view courses as a punishment by Jeyriall, meant to dissuade would-be mates from intermingling.  For reasons which are self-explanatory, this is not a widely-held opinion.
« Last Edit: 10 July 2012, 03:28:47 by Kelancey the Green » Logged

"Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."
--Master Yoda
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 15 June 2012, 06:18:05 »

Hi Kelancy,
an interesting topic you have here! :D

Some quick remarks (for only my ghost is here)

- I don't know, if you should list those cramps with 'other afflictions' . Those cramps are no illness as the others, more a side-effect, though they can cause quite a bit of pain, especially in the developing body.

- you describe partly the cycle (dwarves, elves), not the cramps, so that one could misinterpret the cycle as the illness, not only the cramps. The swelling of the breasts , the 'mood' during the time is no illness either.

- How much does a medieval society really know? Your description sounds a bit too modern. Judy's letter to her daughter knows a lot also, but it is told differently.

- Cramps aren't a part of every cycle. Not every woman has cramps, nor every time. Most times they get better after you had a child. Maybe dwarves or elves don't have them at all!

----> Don't stick too much to what we know today

Lore-idea: Intercourse during the time of the bleeding does normally not produce children, and people know that, I assume. Cramps however prevent such ambitions, so maybe a god send them...

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Irid alMenie
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 46

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 June 2012, 17:19:05 »

[...]
- Cramps aren't a part of every cycle. Not every woman has cramps, nor every time. Most times they get better after you had a child. Maybe dwarves or elves don't have them at all!

[...]

That, and (though this might also be a bit too modern to include in the entry) it can also depend on which ovary is currently ovulating. So one month it can be quite a lot worse than the other month.

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Irid al'Menie
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 June 2012, 22:22:33 »

Given the long lives of elves, I would favor them having less frequent cycles. Perhaps once or twice a year even because elves have no need to bear children so often and they have many many years of childbearing capability. And I would think elves don't get cramps at all, I think they have near perfect birth rates. Elves are not humans, and they are physiologically much different.

A gnomish physician really needs to write a tome on the physiology of the different races.

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Kelancey the Green
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 26

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 30 June 2012, 02:22:50 »

Edits made 29 June 2012, addressing most (hopefully all) of the generous editorial comments made.

"Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."
--Master Yoda
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]