Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: The Currency of Santharia, Rewrite  (Read 6471 times)
Mina
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 11 July 2012, 16:42:06 »

but that assumes that the coin is worth what it is made of rather than a form of promissory note or token.
Well, I don't know about Talia, but I was assuming that this was the case.  It does seem to have more or less been the norm historically.  Of course, other types of money were occassionally used too, although I don't think they were very common or lasted very long.  But, yes, I think we could make it so that Santharian coins get their value from something other than the material they were made of, if we want to.  After all, that seems to be the norm in the real world in more recent times, so we know it can work. 

As far as whether or not the Santhran can enforce the standardization of currency, I don't think it would be purely the Santhran who does so, but the provinces themselves, the Thanes, at the behest of the Santhran. Perhaps with the intent of facilitating trade between provinces? After all, if everyone is using money with the same value then buying things with coins from another province becomes less of an issue. It might be why the designs are standard as well. If the coins have the same shape and weight, it's easier to recognize them, regardless of what is on them.
Certainly, having a common currency would make trade easier since there would be fewer types of coins to keep track of, which would be an incentive for standardizing.  I can particularly see this happening shortly after the forming of Tharania and Santharia, and the more recent reunification of Santharia under Grothunc, although it could have happened at other times as well. 

On the other hand, there are also incentives for a Thane or anyone else with the authority to mint coins to mess with the metal content of the coins they make.  As that Wikipedia entry on debasement points out, doing so allows a greater amount of coins to be produced from the same amount of metal.  Although this would lead to the coins decreasing in value after people start realising this, if the new coins were traded away quickly enough before this happens, one could get more than what they were worth in exchange.  I think a Thane who is running low on money would certainly consider doing this, if they thought they could get away with it.  Since the coins already have distinct designs showing their province of origin, this could easily lead to destandardization. 

Other than the Santhran having enough power to enforce standardization, the other solution I can think of is to not have provincial designs.  That way, if a Thane decides to debase the coins he mints, it would cause the coins minted by the other Thanes to decrease in value as well since they all have identical appearances, which would probably annoy the other Thanes.  I'm not sure this could completely prevent debasement, since there could possibly be circumstances that would make a Thane desperate enough to risk getting the other Thanes angry at him, but it could probably decrease the chances of this happening.  On the other hand, if there were no provincial variations in design, the coins from different provinces would still be standardised after debasement; they would just all be worth less than before. 

Athviaro Shyu-eck-Silfayr
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 64

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 14 July 2012, 23:23:05 »

If one province had purer/more reliable coinage, you might find that their currency became the standard quite organically and without interference.

"I don't care what you did as a boy."
"Well, I did nothing as a girl, so there goes my childhood." - Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire, The Gay Divorcee, 1934.
The Life and Works of Athviaro Shyu-eck-Silfayr
Kalta'hnk - My ramblings on anything to do with the Glandorians - The Glandorian Men (Proposal)
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #17 on: 15 July 2012, 22:13:45 »

I can't respond to all what was mentioned above, but I got a new idea.

We all agree, that Judy's entry is outdated, magicwise and due to history requirements. Mina's question, if the currency stayed the same over 1600 years (which I thought when I started we would keep ), is a good one. Now I would say no. As history is not written, we cannot decide now, what will happen to the currency.

Why don't we set up a teamwork and collect there over the time all we come across? For now we just leave Judy's entry outdated as it is, with a minor change in the beginning.

I would replace:
All provinces of Santharia use the same monetary system introduced during the time of Santhros the Wise when the ancient kingdoms were united to the United Kingdom of Santharia.

with (or similar)

All provinces of Santharia use the same monetary system introduced during the time of Grothunc the Wise (a.S. ...) when the new Santharian kingdom arose again out of the ashes the wars of the Age of Havoc left. It is based on a reform already Santhran Lysarian enforced a.S. xxx

I would then only write a short entry about Lysarian's new ideas. The only question I would have here: should I keep the non standart units (ergs..) or just assume/invent some Thar might have used and those ergs, haks etc were minted/invented in the age of havoc? Grotunc then might reintroduce/establish the Lysarian coins, more or less, and keep the others without allowing new minting.

Edit: I will invent new old ones for the time before Lysarian. :)
« Last Edit: 16 July 2012, 01:07:43 by Ta'lia of the Seven Jewels » Logged

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #18 on: 18 July 2012, 03:38:53 »

Yeah, I think as a first step Talia's solution should do. As there's apparently some more discussion needed I think for now it would suffice to get the basics done in order to get the history for the Golden Age of Kings completed as far as coins are concerned and reflect that in the Currency entry. That's the primary thing that's necessary and should be our first goal.

Then I hope that those who know more about coins than I personally do can help with certain details and maybe write a section or two while taking the laid out basis into account in order to get what we're still lacking right and we can progress step by step.

P.S. The demons are now also in the Cosmology and Myth menu where they are supposed to be. The Bestiary was fine, but Cosmology and Myth still had that entry missing.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #19 on: 18 July 2012, 03:52:39 »

Thanks Art, then I will go on as planned.
I'm busy though and away from Friday to Wednesday, so I need some time.

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]