Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Bogsnapper- Flash animation  (Read 1679 times)
Seeker
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 465

Fire Mage

View Profile
« on: 10 September 2012, 09:34:34 »

After long last I have been invited to learn the art of motion paintings.  A well kept secret in the highest towers of the Ximaxian Academy, only a select few of the artist-mages have been permitted to attempt such spells.  The highest level mages have the skill to create such an illusion so real that some desire to reach out and grab the subject of the painting.  As for me this is my first attempt.

Aura+ to Art for helping me with some very detailed tutorials.

Click on the START button to start the animation.

<a href="http://stuff.santharia.com/seeker/Bogsnapper.swf" target="_blank">http://stuff.santharia.com/seeker/Bogsnapper.swf</a>

Comments Welcome
« Last Edit: 10 September 2012, 10:24:37 by Seeker » Logged

Every entry deserves a picture.   -Seeker
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 10 September 2012, 15:42:38 »

clap clap clap clap

Great Seeker! Now these horrible flies get even more horrible. They really move in a realistic way. The fog is great also as the eyeblinks.... and next time the neck will move also... :D

*bows*

and aura

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 13 September 2012, 01:15:04 »

Yay!  thumbup Seeker is very talented with Flash, he got the hang of it already pretty early on :D I think such "small" animations like this - flies, blinking, fog as you see here - are still rather easily manageable, but make a picture very much alive. Especially once you know all these little basic Flash details by heart, you can achieve quite a bit. Most animations in Santhworld so far we've done by just moving a part of the picture, or zooming in/out etc. - but an animation based on a changed part of the picture, like the blinking eyes, are new as they require an artist to redraw certain parts. But if you can do that being artist and animation, the results will be even better! So it's great to see that Seeker has mastered his first challenges already.

He already made another animation, but I'll leave it for him to post it :D - A few comments:

- The background of the movie should be black. (Modify --> Document... --> Background Color) That's because we'll put the movies on our site, which has a black background.

- We'd still need a proper preloader, otherwise the whole, say, 250 KB are loaded and then we see the movie in all its glory at once. So it can happen that it looks as if there's a loading problem because you don't know what's going on with the movie until it's fully loaded.

- Note on how Flash movies load: Flash movies load progressively, which means that an item is loaded one after the other the way it is needed in the timeline. Once it is loaded, it is shown and the movie continues. So a small picture will be there practically instantly if it is needed first, but if a large picture should be displayed in the first frame, the whole thing needs to be loaded first. This is quite helpful to know in general when a movie is uploaded to a server and loaded from there, but you won't notice that in offline mode.

You can test the loading behaviour BTW if you press CTRL+ENTER to view the movie, and at the movie window you can select "View" and "Simulate Download", and further down in the "Download Settings" you can specify how fast it should download. This can be quite interesting at times, especially if you do larger movies.

- As for the Bogsnapper (and also your new movie): The buttons work like buttons, but don't quite look like buttons:

o) You usually have a drop shadow at buttons.

o) When you push it you should move the button slightly down and right in that specific frame, this will give the impression that you really hit it.

o) Text should be larger - remember that the movie resizes, so it should be still readable when it is displayed in a smaller version.

o) Don't know how exactly you coded the stop/start, but what would be super cool would be: If you press stop the animation ends, e.g. by fading it out or by continuing the animation until it is back at the start state. Play would then always start at this start state. While the animation finishes the buttons wouldn't work, so that you can't trigger the end loop again. - This is of course just a suggestion, because it looks a tad strange to see a flying bat animation stop in mid-air. I guess this is the way we did it with the burning sword. You might try to realize that.  computer

But all in all: Excellent job, Seeker!  pet clap pet

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]