Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Integrating external artists' pictures, a list  (Read 2437 times)
Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 157

View Profile
« on: 12 February 2013, 18:55:59 »

A few suggestions, with captions:

• "Forest Castle" by Morjer: Plains of Kaerath: under People
    A Morchin Watchtower overseeing the Morchin-Amorai border in the northwest- veritably a castle of moss, grass and wood! The Morchin on the open plains and the Amorai in their forests reside side by side on Moredein Kaerath, although, it has to be said, not very peacably. Territory frequently changes hands between the two tribes every time the Amorai invade and the mushroom-people march to reclaim land. But hear the story from Amorai lips - how those evil Morchin are forever trying to push their borders into the forest realm of the Amorai! There is truth to both accounts: The Morchini are always striving to expand their territory (into the Drifting Woods, the Amorai realm, Faen and the Islands of Thareliath); and the Amorai do retaliate. As the Way of the Monk says, "War will not bring peace."

• "Inside the Origin" by Reegen: Plains of Kaerath: under People or Flora? (NB: Also to be added to the upcoming entries on the Amorai)
    The forest realm of the Amorai, descendants of the Ancient Lillivear. Note the Warden on patrol duty.

• "One Last Climb" by Reegen: Plains of Kaerath: under Description
    The birthplace of the Eckumin River, named after the mythical dragon Eckulor said to roost at its spring. Note the white-clad Amorai Warden.

• "Blue Mushrooms" by Reegen: Plains of Kaerath: under Description or People
    The three independent trading posts of the Faen, seen from a distance. The Plains are free from large artificial constructions such as cities and villages, and the Morchini would like to keep them that way. Therefore, to keep the other races from "tainting" the soil of Kaerath, the earth mages of the Morchini grow them enormous rocky mushrooms upon which they can build to their hearts' desire. Contrast the giant red mushrooms into which the Morchini carve their own living spaces.

• "Sky Roots" by Reegen: Plains of Kaerath: under Flora (Maybe I should write a Myths section?)
    The enormous Banyan trees of Moredein Kaerath. Things often seem to be in the wrong proportions on the Plains... This is an artist's illustration of the Morchin tale "Sky Roots", also known across the lands as "the Tale of the Tree that Grew the Wrong Way Up". Behold the first and mightiest of the Banyan, which took root in the clouds and grew all the way down to the earth, the mother tree from which all its smaller progeny sprouted.

• "Frontier Crossing" by Reegen: Gondolwenmith: under Environment
    The skerries between Cape Cloud and the Port of Nor. Thousands of island blocks run parallel to the northern coast and provide a protected channel for commerce behind an almost unbroken string of mountainous islands and skerries, sheltering Gondolwain transports from the treacherous weather conditions of the open sea. Hundreds of bridges, tall and proud, each a monument to the power and ingenuity of the Gondolwain, span these skerries, linking the islands and connecting them to the mainland. The taller summits amidst the northern skerries are crowned with fortresses and catapults, guarding the Gondolith homeland against the fleets of other Nybelmarian powers and rendering the skerry-protected passage behind unassailable.

• "Landscape Study" by Reegen: Gondolwenmith: under Environment
    All along the coastline lie long, narrow inlets of sea between steep cliffs, penetrating into the mountains and their valleys, into which the many waterfalls of the realm pour down from great heights. Rainwater and snowmelt collect in the mountaintops of Ivieth, forming tiny streams. These gullies either grow larger as they collect more water or add to the water of greater streams they meet along their descent towards the shore.

More to come! ;)

PS: How can I leave a blank line between individual bullet points?
« Last Edit: 13 February 2013, 17:47:36 by Coren FrozenZephyr » Logged

"Everything should be as simple as possible and not simpler." Albert Einstein

"Is he allowed to do that?"
"I think that comes under the rule of Quia Ego Sic Dico."
"Yes, what does that mean?"
"'Because I say so', I think."
"That doesn't sound like much of a rule!"
"Actually, it's the only one he needs." (Making Money by Terry Pratchett)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 13 February 2013, 02:03:38 »

The HTML wizard waves his wand and makes a line break appear... :) Anyway, I've done it, but I didn't see it mentioned anywhere in a documentation, but what I did is to add [ br ] (without the spaces) at the end of each bullet paragraph, which apparently is the bulletin Board equivalent the HTML line break, usually written < br >.

Concerning the pictures:

No real problems with "Inside the Origin", "One Last Climb" and "Sky Roots".

I've already mentioned that somewhere, but we should be careful not to illustrate some entries. It's better to have smaller sub-entries and use the pics there than to use them all in one. For example the Gondolwenmith entry already has no less than 5 pictures, and also two tables (which uses that space). Adding two more makes an entry like this even more cluttered and we don't even have the proper space in the Environment section. So we need to be aware of these problems. If there are alternative entries where the picture could go in where there's mention of that place (or where other pics from that entry could be moved), let me know.

Also: Do we have flying ships in Nybelmar? This has been established for Quel'tra'loh already (sort of a secluded magical kingdom, which doesn't really interact with other), but this shouldn't become common all of a sudden.

I also notice a problem of scale with Forest Castle - looks more like Brownie size to me actually with all those mushrooms and tree stumps. I'm not sure if it works otherwise.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 February 2013, 03:34:26 »

It seems I periodically stumble upon Quel'tra'loh, and then promptly forget about it. Maybe that's part of its magic? If you wish, I can give it a go and see if I can finish the entry.

Gondolwain pictures (Frontier Crossing & Landscape study): Good point. I'll see if I can come up with sub-entries where these can be posted and work out how best to allocate the collection.

Forest Castle: I think it could be made to work - have a look at the Plains of Kaerath entry. The theme is that everything on the Plains should have an out-of-scale, Alice-in-Wonderland feel. So, for instance, you have bear-sized porcupines and miniature thunderfeet. This could be an illustration of those giant mushrooms and trees mentioned in the entry. What do you think?

Blue Mushrooms: Darn! It would have been perfect. In my excitement, my mind glazed over the sky-ships. Darn. Maybe Reegen would allow us to remove the ships from the version we upload? Or maybe they are ships from Qel'tra'loh? I need to re-read Smurf's draft.
« Last Edit: 13 February 2013, 05:30:17 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 February 2013, 04:06:13 »

Okay, I have a solution for the Gondolwenmith entry:

(1) Extract the original Environment section and make it a sub-entry. Insert "Frontier Crossing" and "Landscape study" into the sub-entry. Also include a map of the Gondolith mainland.

(2) Replace the old Environment section in the main tribe entry with the following:

Environment. Most of the Gondolith mainland is well-forested with a carpet of maquis and evergreen woodlands, terminating on the soft sand of the many coves hidden along the coastline. A notable exception is the Vaenar delta to the south, where the trees gave way long ago to ordered, well-cultivated cotton plantations.

All along the coastline lie long, narrow inlets of sea between steep cliffs, penetrating into the mountains and their valleys. These inlets provide much needed waterways for passage and ferrying between the quarries deep in the Ivieth Mountains and the coastal towns and ports.

On the northern coast, the skerries between Cape Cloud and the Port of Nor provide a protected channel for commerce behind an almost unbroken string of mountainous islands. This well-guarded passage shelters Gondolwain transports from the treacherous weather conditions of the open sea.

The realm of the Gondolwain is rich in rivers and waterfalls, which grow taller and more striking towards the north. Ships sailing towards the Gondolith mainland will be quick to spot the great aqueducts carrying the water of its many streams and waterfalls, bringing order and prosperity to a difficult region which no other tribe on Nybelmar had hitherto dared to master. (For more information, please refer to the sub-entry on Environment.)

Would this work?
« Last Edit: 13 February 2013, 04:07:53 by Coren FrozenZephyr » Logged

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 13 February 2013, 05:58:11 »

Forest Castle: Need to check that one in detail first - so I'll get back to you on that.

Qel'tra'loh: As far as I remember Smurf already back then (11 years ago!) wrote a pretty good description, so a lot of work is already done. Don't know how busy you are exactly, Coren, but of course it would be great to have this one finally done. If you have time to finish it, you can try of course. - BTW: The picture hints at something sci-fi at the top of the mushrooms - I'm sure Reegen could fix such details for us.

Gondolwenmith : Hmmm... This is all very unusual and if we make a sub-entry, we don't have any proper sections yet to divide the entry and we never have any of that on the site since 10 years ago. Or can the Environment entry be logically divided? And would "Gondolwenmith Environment" actually work as a proper stand-alone entry? Even the title sounds strange. Maybe with some further thought and adjustments put into it that could work, but at the moment it still seems a bit forced to rip it out that way.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 February 2013, 06:00:35 »

Ah, I see what you mean. I didn't realise sub-entries had to have sections. I'll give it some thought.

Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 February 2013, 06:09:57 »

What if we have a "Geography" sub-entry, divided into: (i) Territory; (ii) Environment; and (iii) Natural Resources?

I'll extract those sections from the current tribe entry and weave them together into a sub-entry. Then I'll prepare summary versions for the tribe entry. That would also pare the tribe entry down to more manageable proportions.

Sounds good?

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 13 February 2013, 06:16:19 »

Sounds a good deal better. already.. How would the entry be entitled then? Gondolith?

Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 February 2013, 06:21:52 »

"Geography of the Gondolwain Realm"? As for the menu: You have the tribe entry ("the Gondolwenmith Men"), and under it, "Geography". (Just like: Erpheronians -> Clothing)

I am sure this "Gondolwain Realm" actually had a name, but can't remember it off the top of my head. Gondolwain = Gondolwenmith = Gondolith; either refers to the people or used as an adjective.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]