Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfx gfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register    gfx gfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Folihydra  (Read 1557 times)
Rakvél Tennur
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« on: 18 February 2015, 10:00:34 »

Overview:
This is what happens when Nature feels the urge of being cruel, when the Gods decide that a touch of insanity is what this world needs. This hellish spawn is hard to classify, for it looks like a gigantic vine with all of its humongous tendrils converging into a single body, but it moves, breathes, and feeds like the most terrible beasts that walk the lands of Sarvonia.

Appearance:
This humongous creation seems to be the size of a small mountain and extends with roots and vines like tentacles for large, dense forest areas. This creature is as much an animal as it is a plant, it is completely green, from it's stalk and head, to the very last nailsbreath of its tendrils, covered in what feels like the intermediate point between moss and fur.

The head is similar to that of a whale, however the Folihydra has teeth, at the very least a row of sharp, white, stone-like teeth which we presume are used to devour and crush large prey such as deer and perhaps even bear. It has no discernible eyes, however the fact that it can accurately tell where to strike to catch its prey suggests that it has some way to tell where it is moving to.

Special Abilities:
Being so big, this creature is astonishingly hard to find, this is because it has the unusual ability of looking like a huge rock, indistinguishable of others until it moves, which is also another unusual ability, since the size seems to do nothing to slow down this abomination, its tentacles move with the speed of a whip and hurt even worse, curling around the victim before dragging it to its awaiting maw.

Territory:
While encountered somewhat frequently by travelers that delve in the depths of the warm, humid forests of Sarvonia, they don't seem to develop well in the colder weathers of the Northern lands, nor in the arid deserts by the South, thus making it a creature of the central portions of the continent, often reaching to the shores. Its need to remain hidden to hunt makes it prefer dense forests and marshes, where it can make its tendrils pass as vines and its body as a huge mossy rock.

Behavior:
Territorial and aggressive with anything that comes close to it, with the natural exception of dragons and other fire-breathing or fire-wielding creatures, to whom it attempts to remain concealed. This creature destroys others of its kind that happen to sprout within its territory, however since it cannot abandon its sprouting spot due to its sheer size and weight, the clash of two mature Folihydras remains unobserved.

Diet:
Whatever it can swallow whole, which is most any other creature in the forests they inhabit, however it seems they only need to eat once every month. It has a predilection for large deer-like and horse-like creatures, presumably due to how easy it is to snare them without fear of claws or fangs that could harm its tendrils.

Mating:
Unobserved, presumably it doesn't mate, but rather reproduces like a plant, adding more mystery and challenge to the classification of this creature.

Usages:
The moss-fur of this creature is used by human hunters to camouflage in the dense forests with great results, and wizards find use of its sap-blood and teeth in alchemical preparations to provide strength, although legends claim that drinking the unadulterated sap-blood can drive the drinker into a mad murderous frenzy that culminates with its death by exhaustion.
« Last Edit: 17 April 2015, 11:45:48 by Rakvél Tennur » Logged
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 18 February 2015, 22:34:10 »

Looks very interesting! Cool start.

Please mention where it lives in the overview!

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Ankhi Doomhand
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 4

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 February 2015, 08:06:02 »

Overview:
This is what happens when Nature feels the urge of being cruel, when the Gods decide that a touch of insanity is what this world needs. This hellish spawn is hard to classify, for it looks like a gigantic vine with all of its humongous tendrils converging into a single body, but it moves, breathes, and feeds like the most terrible beasts that walk the lands of Sarvonia.

Appearance:
Standing as tall as a small mountain, close to the 15 peds in height, and extending with roots and vines like tentacles for at least 30 peds in length, this creature is as much an animal as it is a plant. It is completely green, from it's stalk and head, to the very last nailsbreath of its tendrils, covered in what feels like the intermediate point between moss and fur.

15 peds is a small mountain? I would suggest changing it to "It appears to be as large as a small mountain." Or something to that effect.

The head is similar to that of a whale, however the Folihydra has teeth, at the very least a row of sharp, white, stone-like teeth, which we presume are used to devour and crush large prey such as deer and perhaps even bear. It has no discernible eyes, however the fact that it can accurately tell where to strike to catch its prey with pinpoint accuracy suggests that it has some way to tell where it is moving to.

You have "accurately tell" and "with pinpoint accuracy" in the same sentence :P

Special Abilities:

Territory:
The few encounters with this humongous creature suggest that it lives in the warm forests of Sarvonia, close to rivers and lakes where its roots can absorb the water necessary to sustain this monster. 

Based on this sentence, I would assume that very few if any detailed studies have been done on this beast, but based on the diet section, someone has been able to track one (or a group) for a few months at least to get that "once a month" statistic. IMO you should say it is studied and encountered at least somewhat often, as it gives you more freedom to elaborate on things like its abilities and usages. Also keep in mind that when very little is known about something, stories are usually made to fill in the gaps, so if you do choose to keep it rare, there would probably be a story to tell about it in a Myths section. Just a suggestion

Behavior:
Territorial and aggressive with anything that comes close to it.

Diet:
Whatever it can swallow whole, which is most any other creature in the forests they inhabit, however it seems they only need to eat once every month.

Mating:
Unobserved, presumably it doesn't mate, but rather reproduces like a plant, adding more mystery and challenge to the classification of this creature.

Pretty nice looking so far. I would suggest that you elaborate a little bit more on a few things though, like the behavior. How about how it acts towards others of its own species? Or things it can tell is stronger than it? Interesting concept, looking forward to how it plays out.
Rakvél Tennur
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 February 2015, 09:09:19 »

Thanks for the observations Ankhi, and I'm glad you like this idea Ta'lia, I'll fix these observations today and try to finish it =D
Rakvél Tennur
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 April 2015, 11:47:19 »

Did the edits and added some more information, sorry for disappearing for so long, university exams and homework piles are more challenging to bring down than one of these creatures  :P
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[Yesterday at 22:25:27]

[Yesterday at 12:33:30]

[02 November 2015, 22:39:29]

[02 November 2015, 20:50:28]

[02 November 2015, 07:33:03]

[01 November 2015, 06:17:30]

[31 October 2015, 08:07:27]

[31 October 2015, 04:20:39]

[31 October 2015, 02:18:23]

[21 May 2015, 05:54:01]

[01 May 2015, 09:19:27]

[17 April 2015, 11:47:19]

by Fox
[02 April 2015, 22:09:27]

[31 March 2015, 01:36:38]

[28 March 2015, 10:14:55]

[23 March 2015, 16:46:26]

by Seeker
[12 March 2015, 04:44:13]

by Ganinon
[09 March 2015, 01:24:43]

[28 February 2015, 08:31:00]

[25 February 2015, 11:31:31]
Members
Total Members: 1013
Latest: Anyone
Stats
Total Posts: 144359
Total Topics: 11000
Online Today: 21
Online Ever: 226
(05 November 2012, 23:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 14
Total: 14

Last 10 Shouts:
Today at 01:41:49
Wow, stuff's old in Santharia. Ciosa is more than six times older than Vienna and Paris.
03 November 2015, 19:04:06
Wow, miss a week; miss a lot.  Hi all.  I'm here.  Mostly on the RP side as that is where the action is, but more activity here would get me going again.  I have a few fresh (yes, anything worked on in 2015 is fresh) entries I'm doing.
01 November 2015, 06:18:26
Well that was a mistake. My development schedule is now in the Masterplan forum. That should probably be moved by someone at some point.
31 October 2015, 23:03:59
Hey Talia! It's great to see you back.
31 October 2015, 15:40:10
Shabas trick worked too ;) Hello all!
31 October 2015, 02:39:45
Well, Seagazer's method worked its magic on me, at any rate. :)
30 October 2015, 06:42:18
Okey dokey! I have two little Manthrian entries written up, one place and one historical person. More will be forthcoming, perhaps something to do with hobbits.
28 October 2015, 07:49:26
That's a good idea. But let's do a little prep first. Everyone is deserving of a warm welcome. We should get a few entires dusted off and finished for them to come home to. :)
28 October 2015, 07:49:26
That's a good idea. But let's do a little prep first. Everyone is deserving of a warm welcome. We should get a few entires dusted off and finished for them to come home to. :)
28 October 2015, 07:09:30
Hmm... We could try using the members list to email as many members as we could get and bring them back