Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Zarathians from Nybelmar?  (Read 3656 times)
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« on: 20 June 2004, 13:50:00 »

Zarathians from Nybelmar?

From west to east:

The Zarathians
Appearance. The Zarathians tend to possess a very aquiline appearance, which suits well their hard-sell natures. Often they have long, oval faces, beset by thin, shapely noses. Eyes are commonly hazel in colour, although it is not the only shade found, simply the most prevalent. Hair is often straight and black, although there are a fair few that possess flame red hair. Blondes and browns are rarely seen. Another trait amongst this tribe are long, slim necks. Their skin is a dusky brown in colour. Through these people you can see not only the Hjoria, but also traits of the  Azhorhria, two tribes which have ultimately stemmed from these people.

Hjoria
Appearance. The Hjoria, unlike most other Aeruillin tribes, go to great care to keep their skin pale, despite the fierce sun overhead. They wear long robes and completely cover the face, even in sweltering heat.
Strangely though, of all those who have been seen uncovered, each and every one has had long, jet-black hair, both males and females. It is unknown whether this is dyed, or perhaps natural to the tribe. The eyes are of varying colour. Most Hjorians have been reported to have thin, shapely noses, reminiscent of those of the Zarathians.
What is obvious is the difference in body shape between the sexes. There is never a fat or overweight Hjorian – men are generally stocky, with large muscles that can be identified through the clothing they wear, whilst the women are toned and lithe. This is due to the roles each sex undertakes within the tribe; the men generally have more physical and demanding work than the women.  

Azhorhria
Appearance. Most Azhorhrians have skin colour of a dusky brown, from long exposure to living under a desert sun. They also share some similar physical traits of black hair and build with the Hjorians since they were originally of one people but the Azhorhrians have one common feature that separates them from the other Ysthalinth desert tribes - each Azhorhrian has eyes of deep, wonderous copper although no one knows how this abberation came about and when. Though some have attributed this to be that the tribe is truly Goddess-touched and blessed.

Comparison with Nybelmarian Tribes
(so that we could say, they came from Nybelmar in ancient times)

Korweynites
Appearance. As Korweynite blood mixed with various neighboring tribes over the centuries it is difficult to tell what a pure-blooded Korweynite  is supposed to look like. Most Korweynites are of average built, have copperbrown skin of various shading and curly, dark hair from brown to deep black. Blonde is rather seldom but from time to time some Korweynites with fairer skin and hair appears. The hair is usually cut short or worn in many small braids. The most common eye colour is brown though gray and blue is surprisingly frequent for their skin tone. A tale tells that the blue eyes were a gift of the sky to its greatest children on Caelereth and thus light eye colours are often seen as a sign of good luck.

Santerrans
Appearance. The Santerrans are very high grown compared to most other tribes and nations of Nybelmar, often referred to be of "noble stature". Santerran skin colour ranges from a copper-brown to light brown with black, brown or red hair.
Their faces seem hard to strangers, with high cheeks and edgy chins and no obvious sign of emotion. The eyes slightly narrowed and usually of a dark brown or even black. Other eye colours are seen as a gift from the Gods and promise high magical powers.  Return to the top

Murmillions
Appearance. Murmillions are of slender appearance, with pale skin and dark hair which ranges from ash blonde to black. Their lifespan is somewhat longer than the average human and some say that even some elven blood flows through their veins, though of dark alignment.

***Astropic of the day***
"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Artemis

Gained Aura: 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 21 June 2004, 06:02:00 »

When I originally wrote the Zarathians, I think I put a proposal in the Nybelmar forum about them being from that continent, but at the time it wasn't developed enough to make a decision. By the way those tribes have turned out though, I'd say that it is definitely feasible for them to be from Nybelmar.

I suppose we'd have to look at what date those tribes were founded... Zarathians are definitely one of the later tribes to have come to the continent, we'd have to find reasons for migrations etc, but I think coming from Nybelmar is definitely a good idea.

:D  :D  :D  

You're supposed to put something really clever and witty in the signature. Well, I am neither clever, nor witty, so this is a waste of space for me really.

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 21 June 2004, 12:59:00 »

I remembered, that you did this.

I agree, that they are a later tribe, they had to migrate to Nybelmar first !

Why not just ask our dear Nybelmarian colleges to add somethin to their history which could explain this? They know, what would fit best , their history is so complicated meanwhile(much stuff). Which tribe would you prefer, so that we could tell them our request??

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
Smith in Exile
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 4

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 June 2004, 18:06:00 »

Santerrans seem indeed the best choice now. The East Nybelmar was dominated basically by these three tribes. Their original myth tells about three human tribes being part of that great alliance that defeated Menemronn. The Korweynites and Murmillions are definetely claiming their origins from this myth. The Santerrans (as I understood recently) are descendants of that third tribe. They also were absent from the ancient history of Nybelmar because they fled to the eastern islands due to the rise of Ehebion (Murmillions' kingdom). From those islands, and even in this exodus, some of them might have reached the shores of Aeruillin.

Now, there is though a problem: how did they get there? Of course, their myths could mention something about some protective god/s. But what do you say about this idea: the continent of Aeruillin is actually slowly drifting into the Void. This would make it closer to Nybelmar at that time (and closer to Sarvonia also -> that tricky Avennorian discovery), and it could also explain the fact that it doesn't have any southern shores. Myths of the tribes dwelling close to the Void could tell about how the Void "eats" the lands (slowly, periodically, however). I'm not talking about a catastrophical drifting of course, just a very slow process which is happening during thousand of years.

Anyway, the Santerrans are Koldar's department, so if you pick them you should have a discussion with him first.

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 24 June 2004, 00:46:00 »

Sounds good yes, thanks!

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 June 2004, 04:16:00 »

I also see the only problem in the seafaring capabilities of ancient times. The Carthagigans and Romans lost whole battlefleets (of 100 or more ships!) in single storms on the Mediterran which sounds to me that like early seatravel should be pretty coastbound (reason why the Anpagans have no problem going to Krath is because they have a coast to sail along)

I'd propose to put this event in the timeframe of Stratanian and Varcopasian trade with the Santerrans (which still has to be fleshed out though but should be somewhere 1000-800 b.S., I'd go more for the later). We could also have a good reason why the Santerran turnt to the High Seas:
-their ships grow more sturdy and could make longer trips
-After 500 years the Korweynites have once again become the dominant power of eastern Nybelmar and thus any great conquests on the continent would only get them into trouble.

This would still leave the Zarathians with 2600 years to subdue and conquer as they please(I understand they're not really the nice guys?). The later is also a reason why I'd chose a later time, as the Santerrans were not very aggressive at first and anyone trying to be the badboy in the neighborhood should bring some sufficient knowledge in subdueing others (the 1000 b.S. Santerrans can do that! ;) )

Koldar Mondrakken, Knight of the Moonlight

Smith in Exile
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 4

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 June 2004, 06:03:00 »

Btw, the story I'm working on happens exactly when the first Varcopasian sailors reach Nybelmar. I rougly dated that 500 years after the Year of Darkness. If you decide to change this or come upon an exact date, please do tell me, so I would know what to write :)  

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 24 June 2004, 07:10:00 »

No, that#s fine, I haven't done anything with varcopas in this respect, so I can adjust my times to your need !

Artemis

Gained Aura: 2

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25 June 2004, 13:42:00 »

The Zarathians aren't excessively nasty... but 2500 years or so should give them enough time to spawn two tribes, save another from destruction and to create the second biggest port. Strangely, when I first thought about it, it didn't seem a long time, but then I remembered how far we have come in 2000 years... plenty of time.

Thankyou Koldar and Smith for your help in this, I shall go and read up on the Santerrans, and possibly make a few adjustments to the Zarathians.

:D  :D  :D  

You're supposed to put something really clever and witty in the signature. Well, I am neither clever, nor witty, so this is a waste of space for me really.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]