Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: question for the south sea  (Read 3243 times)
Smith in Exile

Gained Aura: 4

View Profile
« on: 13 February 2004, 17:56:00 »

Another question for you, Koldar. I saw that picture of a possible "shipwrecker wyrm" in the resources forum and it struck me as a good reason to prevent the Anpagans from reaching Zhun too early. Now what do you say? Should we make it a permanent beast lurking in those southern seas, or just a single monster eventually defeated by a hero? (the first version would imply the Anpagans inventing a better ship design that could stand a chance in avoiding a confrontation with that beast - maybe even to defeat it)

Also the name of the sea is still bugging me. It's called "Zyloth", and then there is that settlement just north of the Anpagan border with Korweyn also called Zyloss. And then there is this Aeruillin beast, called Zyloth. Any connections?

Victhorin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 14 February 2004, 18:28:00 »

Just saw the pic of the Shipwrecker Wyrm, or something like that. Well you're gonna need a pretty big ship to defeat that beast.

Unpatient? Me? Who said that? Come on, tell me! We haven't got all day!

Ailin Ioeil Seafra Cyeall

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 February 2004, 09:18:00 »

Instead, couldn't they have developed a spell that would render their ships (perhaps the wood the ship is built with is enchanted itself?) immune to the creature's attacks? Or perhaps some sort of enchantment to make the ship invisible to the wyrm (illusion?) or melding in with the surroundings (illusion) - perhaps a different variation (and certainly a lot stronger) of animal protection to keep the beast away?

Victhorin
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 February 2004, 09:33:00 »

Sounds better to me, but I ain't really an expert at this sort of things.

I do like the hero killing it also. Would be a great story.

Smith in Exile

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 February 2004, 22:11:00 »

I'm really open to any suggestions... including the spell thing. About the ship design I was thinking of something really big, a juggernaut of some sort, but nothing is pinned down. The Anpagans though (as all the Nybelmarians) won't fit in the Ximax magic system so the spell/enchantment must be of a different kind. Oh, also the beast in the picture perhaps could be thought as being a bit exagerated (by a storyteller) so in "reality" it would be a bit smaller...

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 16 February 2004, 02:02:00 »

In case you haven't seen it: John Lenix will do an entry on the Shipwrecker Wyrm to go with the picture. Of course we would still need a cool story in this respect explaining why the mage is there and fights this little beast. Perhaps it could even be tied to Menemronn for example as a myth - travelling in a small boat over the sea and killing giant snakes would really add to his legendary status;)  

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Coren FrozenZephyr

Gained Aura: 157

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 February 2004, 14:29:00 »

I don't see why the Nybelmarians/Anpagans won't fit the Ximax system. They may interpret spells in a different way, but - unless they can wield/use raw magic - they will have to manipulate the quality/quantity of the elements in the car'all in one way or the other.

I like Arti's suggestion... but perhaps instead of killing the beast he somehow imprisoned it beneath the sands? or even better the wyrm somehow sweared royalty to him (and I see a nice Murmillion legend coming from here - "the Great Wyrm shall return when He will come back to save/purify the soul of all sinners" bla bla bla... you know how prophecies are... :8)  

"Everything should be as simple as possible and not simpler." Albert Einstein

"Is he allowed to do that?"
"I think that comes under the rule of Quia Ego Sic Dico."
"Yes, what does that mean?"
"'Because I say so', I think."
"That doesn't sound like much of a rule!"
"Actually, it's the only one he needs." (Making Money by Terry Pratchett)
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 16 February 2004, 14:44:00 »

Maybe that is something of for the timeline discussion - how far can the magic of the different continents difer from each other?
I think a good solution would be, that the principles of Xeua/Ecua and so on are valid for the whole of Caelereth,( though the nybelmarians don't need to have developped this idea), but the whole spell thingy could be different.
But I think I'm in the wrong place here:p  

***Astropic of the day***
"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Coren FrozenZephyr

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 February 2004, 14:59:00 »

Yeah, exactly. Although magic still operates on the same principles, people from different parts of the world may have found different methods to sort of "bring out the magic"

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 February 2004, 09:57:00 »

It goes deeper, Coren. Ximaxian way is only a way to organize the magic world but the definition of the elements alone is already up to interpretation. E.g. with the eight stones and the Korweynite religion there are already two entirely different elemental systems introduced though the basics on how magic works is the same.

Instead of defeating how about taming these snakes? I'd like that far more than the stereotypic "hero kills snake" deed. Maybe the Anpagans also found a way how to "tame" these snakes so they wouldn't attack their snakes. Not finding a big ship capable of defeating the snake but a simple mean for  merchantmen and traders to protect their ship against such snakes. I'd also keep them wild making the taming just a way to keep them from crashing the ship.

Maren Zyloth means "Oceans of Zylon", -oth being the Genetive case of the word root Zylo-. I need to look it up but I thought it to be the Santerran name for "Sea of Storms" I think but I could be wrong, need to find the outlines to the Santerran language again.

Koldar Mondrakken, Knight of the Moonlight

Edited by: Koldar Mondrakken at: 2/16/04 17:01
Smith in Exile

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 February 2004, 11:21:00 »

okeydokey, taming it is then - I like it better too :)  

Mina
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19 February 2004, 08:08:00 »

Coren, about the magic, Nybelmarian systems (or the systems of other continents) probably will not fit the Ximaxian system because cár'áll is a Ximaxian concept.  The Ximaxian system is merely one way of intepreting how magic works in Caelereth.  It is the dominant system in Santharia, and is accepted by most magi there, but this does not necessarily mean that it is more correct than other systems.  Each system intepretes things differently, and has their own principles.  It should be quite hard, in most cases, for a system to fit with another.  Even the number of elements, as Koldar has mentioned, is different for each system.  The Ximaxians have 4, the Memnoor Brownies have 7, and other systems might have different numbers, or none at all.  

There is no emotion; there is peace.
There is no ignorance; there is knowledge.
There is no passion; there is serenity.
There is no death; there is the Force.

Coren FrozenZephyr

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19 February 2004, 07:48:00 »

I get the impression that I misexpressed myself. (i'm terrible at explaining stuff) I meant that although "magic" (and its effects) is the same all over the world, ppl may have found different principles to explain how it works and based their spell systems on that. But still, wouldn't an elemental mage - in order to cast something - alter the elements (however he wishes to classify them)? (whether you call what he does changing the car'all of something or not) Well, maybe he doesn't... Perhaps he's found another way to achieve the same results? (was this what you were talking about?)

Edited by: Coren FrozenZephyr at: 2/18/04 14:48

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]