Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The Venlaken Enclave - to be discussed  (Read 1407 times)
Smith in Exile

Gained Aura: 4

View Profile
« on: 28 March 2004, 10:38:00 »

If you went through the Anpagan entry you probably noticed a few mentions about some things which are not yet developed. One of these things is the Venlaken Enclave (at the western border of Anis-Anpagan). My next to-do thing would be an entry about this and I have some ideas but as they involve both Korweyn and Tyr Faerath I think is best to discuss them here first.

I named "Venlaken Enclave" that area west of Anpagan (in the peninsula - check the political map of Nybelmar) which contains a city (Venlaken) yet is not assigned to any nation.

Here is what I though of:

- The area was part of Anis-Anpagan during the Dark Ages. I picture it as mainly a swampy area with little resources. In the north the terrain would change into steppes and probably desert.
- The end of the Dark Age (the rise of Tiara at the new throne of Kormendale) finds Anpagan in a state of chaos and anarchy which extends on a whole century that culminates with the Year of Darkness. During this turmoil period several factions are fighting for power on Anpagan lands while they start losing territory after territory to the new Korweyn (this has to be detailed though). Two of the fighting factions are two branches of their Mage Guild (two different schools of magic) - one of them is concerned with animating lifeless object (so to say) -> golems and stuff, the other one is concerned with animating dead bodies -> necromancy (ultimately seeking immortality not a slave-producing apparatus).
- After the Year of Darkness Anis-Anpagan becomes a republic and the mages supporting the republicans (the golem ones) are of course among the winners. The necromancers are punished and exiled in Venlaken (it could be probably their former main base of operation). The area becomes off-limits for anyone and also a "storage space", a huge jail for undesirables - the criminals not suited for galley work are sent there. It is enclosed with a system of fortifications and permanent patrols in their waters (not that they would have any suitable wood for shipbuilding).
- In the north I'm thinking of an agreement between Anis-Anpagan, Korweyn and Tyr Faerath to seal the area. For instance the dwarves could deal with building the forifications (not necessarily walls, I'm thinking mainly about some outposts and forts) and maintainance, while the Korweynites and Anpagans would provide soldiers and other military related things. We could work this in other ways if you have other ideas. Anyway, I think that this agreement would be in everyones advantage: the Anpagans have their jail secured, the dwarves have some help in guarding the trade routes and the korweynites could feel more secure of the possible barbarian raids coming from the west (hmmm... also this jail area could be used by all three of them).

- details about these two schools of magic will be added either in the Anpagan religion entry or in the Venlaken entry (I have some ideas but I haven't thought of a format yet, places? religion? tribes? misc?)

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 04 April 2004, 19:25:00 »

Sounds good (I'd add Venlaken to the Anpagan territory secition in the tribe entry btw), however I wouldn't make it a highsecurity prison, that's makes it very boring and is honestly quite a waste of resources (narrative and otherwise;) ). I'd more think that the war between the guilds raged in the whole kingdom but the Necromantic ones (btw the eternal life idea I find very appealing, doesn't convey this zombie raising maniac picture in me:) ) lost and were driven off to Venlaken which was its biggest stronghold. As this Venlaken could have been just some border fort(well a stone fortress) in an otherwise uninteresting territory the Anpagans are accepting peace with them after a failed siege. Venlaken becomes an independant enclave and Venlaken grows into a city due to the supporters and those seeking eternal life. The city could be ruled by these -at least longliving- Necromancers and becoming immortal might be become a great cult. this might even cause that desperate or sick people go to Venlaken pleading to become member of a Necromancer's household who prolongs their life in exchange for them serving him for a given time or paying a certain price.

This way a rather grotesque and abnormal society could develop there full of dark magic, strange rituals and servitude.

Well, this would be what I'd think about such a city.

I was thinking that "Anis" maybe actually means something.:)  Maybe something along the lines district/land/realm/community. So maybe there are several "Anis xxx" in this area like "Anis something of Venlaken"?

Koldar Mondrakken, Knight of the Moonlight

Smith in Exile

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 April 2004, 19:15:00 »

yes I was thinking of placing some Anis-"somth" all over :)  I guess the real meaning of that word is forgotten but they keep it as a symbol of their different identity.

Ok, sounds pretty much alike with what I had in mind, the jail idea came from the fact that the territory needs to be "sealed" - it's not like Korweynites or Anpagan would like to see their citizens converted by the ways of the Venlaken mages -> that's why "Enclave". The Anpagans could practice the "exile to Venlaken" as punishment, I think.

So what do you think about this agreement between Korweyn Anpagans and probably Tyr Faerath to raise a belt of forts and outposts in the north and along the mountains to the south, so that a certain containment of the Venlaken corruption could take place?

PS: hmmm... I guess you could take a look in the Library forum if you have time (Daedhir- the forbidden book...) that should be "Venlaken's Manifesto", or something like that...

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 April 2004, 07:20:00 »

Quote:
So what do you think about this agreement between Korweyn Anpagans and probably Tyr Faerath to raise a belt of forts and outposts in the north and along the mountains to the south, so that a certain containment of the Venlaken corruption could take place?

I don't see the reason for such an agreement. Korweyn certainly doesn't care what kind of problems Anis Anpagan has with its own brothers, it might just as well support Venlaken only to weaken Anpagan. Also this big fort line, what's the use? Certainly the people of Anpagan will entrenchen their border but as long as the necromancers don't act against anyone else I'm afraid anyone else gives a damn what family problems plagues them. :)

Why contain the problem? That's boring! ;)  

Koldar Mondrakken, Knight of the Moonlight

Smith in Exile

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 April 2004, 10:58:00 »

ok then

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]