Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Some ideas on Kaleman  (Read 1666 times)
Smith in Exile

Gained Aura: 4

View Profile
« on: 09 June 2004, 17:40:00 »

I know, I have things to finish but I just want to open a discussion of principles on the Kaleman islands.

I had this idea in my mind about a religion and at first I wanted to place it in Zhun, but now taking a closer look at the whole thing I guess Kaleman would actually fit perfectly.

The basic thing would be that this religion is a polytheist one, without having a very coherent pantheon (just a bunch of gods acting like humans), and with the special feature that the people are worshiping these gods only out of fear. Over all, this religion will have a sad connotation, people believing that Men are just toys in the hands of the gods (it's quite greek-like, but not really). Their most revered heroes will be than those that had the courage to oppose these gods. As a fatality, none of these heroes ever had a happy ending.

Now why Kaleman? Well, their situation fits in very nice. They have been always exploited in one way or another by the three powers of the Amuneth Sea. Starting from this, their history, although very long, never managed to witness a kingdom lasting more than two or three generations. With these three powers always trying to influence them, it's hard to say that they are really united. This type of religion though is able to teach them to resist any attempts of assimilation. Because although battered and perhaps even humiliated, they can still be proud in their misery. This type of religion is also giving them a different approach on history: while most of the other Nybelmarian human nations are quite obsessed with writing down their certain histories (more like their stories though), the Kalemans would rather live in a constant present. => they only have myths and legends. Various Korweynite, Anpagan or Santerran lords could be even seen by the Kalemans as demi-gods or even gods, and so on...

So, what do you say?  

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 10 June 2004, 09:32:00 »

Quote:
... people believing that Men are just toys in the hands of the gods (it's quite greek-like, but not really). ...

that's actually the concept of all ancient religions and the true break between the old polytheistic faiths and the monotheistic religions of Christianity and Islam as well as Buddhism and also Hinduism which all demand from the individual to follow a certain code of life to be considered "good".

At the moment I don't see the outstanding thing being that they believe in a pantheon (safe for the Murmillions all major tribes in east Nybelmar do so) but more that the gods are seen as evil? I wouldn't look for reasons in this belief in their constant wars for independance and countless invasions but moreso that the islands should have some very hazardous effects on the environment (typhoons, earthquakes, extreme climate conditions that can cause famine, plagues, etc.) I'd figure concerning religion these would be better explanations for such a belief.

I don't know I'd maybe figure that a nature cult where certain places/events are explicitly connected to a certain spirit/deity might be interesting. Instead of a pantheon of gods located at a certain place(like Olymp) their gods wander the lands and whereever the Kaleman people find "proof" of their doings their build shrines to plead for their mercy.

The personification of gods and the resulting mythical history sounds cool, too!

Koldar Mondrakken, Knight of the Moonlight

Smith in Exile

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 June 2004, 18:33:00 »

Yes, that would be the "outstanding" thing: the fact that their gods are "evil". Well, evil is a bit too much said, I think, it's more like their gods don't really care about humans. Now in the ancient polytheist religions there was always some god or gods seen as being closer to the hearts of Men, the thing in Kaleman would be that there are no such gods. The Kalemans do not love their gods, but only fear or even hate them. In this respect, yes, I agree that the cause should be identified in their chaotic environment and not in their history (chaotic environment produced by their vicinity with the Etherial Void, I'd wager)

Hmmm... about the "nature cult". I think it's fine as long as we keep the personifications (I mean I don't think I like the idea of them worshiping a tree, well an "evil" tree lol - but instead I would prefer them to personify a certain phenomenon through a superhuman-like god; yet somehow I believe you were thinking at the same thing...). This is also cool, because there won't be any hierarchy of gods - perhaps different stories could present them as acting in some sort of alliances and under some leadership, but there won't be an all-father or all-mother, an Inthadin for instance. Oh, and now thinking a bit more about this, I guess this is some sort of "extreme" polytheism - without a fixed hierarchy and a coherent "division of labour" among the gods => the gods come and go, the pantheon being extremely flexible (being actually limited only by the power of their storytellers).

The independent nature of the Kalemans comes indeed, not as a cause to this religion but as its result: they feel that all the world is against them, yet they make from resistance the highest of goals - it's their belief that this is what makes them humans.

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 June 2004, 04:28:00 »

I agree.

I'd also consider to make their pantheon chaotic, meaning  their gods can die and others might take the place of the fallen one. If we add peronifications(a historical person being seen as a god) this might explain their deaths here and there (when they died violently for example)

Koldar Mondrakken, Knight of the Moonlight

Coren FrozenZephyr

Gained Aura: 157

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 June 2004, 04:35:00 »

Is the Arkhaeon guild active in these parts of the world?

And one last question, although not really related to Kaleman: Does the Guild have anything to do with the Venlaken Enclave, no?

About the historical figures koldar mentioned, are you planning to make them Korwenite? If you have any mages you know of that were alive around 3300 b.S pls send them my way :)  

"Everything should be as simple as possible and not simpler." Albert Einstein

"Is he allowed to do that?"
"I think that comes under the rule of Quia Ego Sic Dico."
"Yes, what does that mean?"
"'Because I say so', I think."
"That doesn't sound like much of a rule!"
"Actually, it's the only one he needs." (Making Money by Terry Pratchett)
Smith in Exile

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 June 2004, 07:24:00 »

No, the Arkhaeons wouldn't be active in Kaleman - is quite far away of the Murmillions interest area...

The Venlaken's connection with Arkhaeon is their originating book, Daedhir: Armand Da'Ran claimed that he was following the whispers of a "wise shadow" - that could be interpreted as a probable Arkhaeon influence.

Not all the Kaleman's gods are formerly historical figures, just some of them (the pantheon is chaotic), and these could be Kaleman, Korweynite, Anpagan or Santerran (those that in one way or another have some interests on those islands)

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]