Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Vocabulary for the languages of Nybelmar  (Read 4383 times)
Coren FrozenZephyr

Gained Aura: 157

View Profile
« on: 17 June 2004, 03:30:00 »

Krath-mélár'ián

A

Ackh (verb): To freeze.
Ackh'e (verb): To chill.
Ackh'ill [or Akhill in Zhun] (adjective): Frozen.
Ackh'ílh [or Akh in Zhun] (adjective): Icy.
Ackhár (noun): Ice
Ackh'ián [or Akian in Zhun] (noun): Something that is frozen.
Ack'hithár [or Ack'ithár / Ack'itár in Zhun] (noun): Frost
Akh (noun): Blade.
Akh'ían (noun): Small blade. Dagger.
Akh'oránn [or Akh'ránn in Zhun] (noun): Sword
Akhilliss (noun): Ice blade, "Blade of Ice."
Akhilliss [in northern Zhun only] (noun): Chill.
Akhilliss (adjective): Chilling.
Akhilliss (adjective/implication): Cold blooded - a term often used for non-Krath warriors and murderers. Accent on "kh".
Akhilliss (adjective): Swift (water-like) - like coldness spreading in one's body. Snakelike pronounciation of "iss".
Akhill'ián (noun): (waterlike) Swiftness (like the spreading of frost on water).

K

Khéin [or "Kéin" in Zhun] (adjective): Swift.
Khéin [no such usage in Zhun] (noun, if placed after another adjective used as a noun, or a noun. Irregular): Swiftness.
Khéir (always an adjective due to the "r" ending in the root word): Quick.
Krath-mélár (verb): To speak the Krath tongue.
Krath-mélár'ián (noun): The language spoken in Krath.

M

Mélár (verb): To flow in a vigorous way.
Mélár (noun. when used with another word to form a phrase, gets "án" / "ián" / "han" ending to specify that it is used as a noun): Current. Flow. Flood. [Note: Researchers believe the word originated from the Styrásh word "méár"]

S

Sácré [or "Sácre" in Zhun] (verb): Rune.
Sácré'án [or "Sácrétián" / "Sácréth-án" in Zhun] (noun): Rune.
Sácré-mélár (verb): To write or speak in the Sacred Tongue
Sácré-mélár'án / Sácré-mélár'hán / Sácré-mélár'ián [or Sácréth-mélár'ián / Sácréth'a'mélár'ián in Zhun] (noun): The act of writing or speaking in the Sacred Tongue. [Note: If the wheel pattern is used and the runes are placed clockwise to form the outer ring, then the phrase can be translated as "(To be)Speaking in the Sacred Tongue". If the pattern is started counter-clockwise the inscription would describe the writing process.]

T

Thork [or "Thorq" in Zhunith territories] (verb): Physical power.
Thork' (adjective if followed by an adjective used as a noun or a noun): Strong, burly.

Phrases

Aestera Kreankra Lillivear - The phrase "Aestera Kreankra Lillivear" can roughly be translated as "the Aestera and the Lillivear united as one". Since "Krea" in ancient Krath'mélar means "to link", the most up-to-date translation of "Kreank" would be "(something) that is linked", describing the state of being interconnected. This is in fact where one of the High Goddess' names originated from

Krath-esh'talath: "the Children of the Krath Lands" A term used to describe the in-Krunts (Krants)

Orio'lilith enk-raem shar'ath-zlar – "May the patient embrace of the Earth deliver you from fiery angst."

Quilya-mi'sis-t'okalin: "The Mirror(s) of Absolute Nothingness" and/or "the Mist(s) of Life"

Edited by: Coren FrozenZephyr at: 6/16/04 11:31

"Everything should be as simple as possible and not simpler." Albert Einstein

"Is he allowed to do that?"
"I think that comes under the rule of Quia Ego Sic Dico."
"Yes, what does that mean?"
"'Because I say so', I think."
"That doesn't sound like much of a rule!"
"Actually, it's the only one he needs." (Making Money by Terry Pratchett)
Mirmec Rethindor

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 06 December 2006, 10:54:35 »

ok, now as a newb to Nybelmar let me summarize what i know then point me in the correct direction.

Styrash is the Elven language. However on the continent of Nymbelmar the Dark Elves live. They are called Co'orhem, and i am guessing looking at the Styrash Tharian dictionary that Co'or was "the Dark God", so thus the Dark Elves would have co'or in their name.

Now Ava was the Elven Female High Goddess, from what i'm seeing in the vocabulary Co'or is a masculine Dark God. If Ava is life ( a play on Eve in Genesis ?? and the hebrew word for life which is Ava form), then Co'or blackness are we talking lunar darkness? As Nybelmar is in the West towards the setting sun distant from the rising light of Ava? What is the name for the sun in the Caelereth?

My question thus is i saw reference in the search to Nybelmar Styrash, aka language of the Dark Elves? What place names are ancient enough to be in Nybelmar Styrash and what places are newer and in other languages?? Why i'm asking is i'm interested int he Great Gate of Krath, and thus was it a human (Myrmmim) construct or older, far older made possibly by the Dark Elves for another reason? As you know in cosmology gates and pillars and their shadows are used to measure seasons and times and dates and months etc.. and so what i'm looking for is an archaeoastronomical connection to The Great Gate pass or is it more of a Great Gate in the sense of a passage through the mountains, a gate that can be opened and closed??

ok so anyone got any clues this is a complicated question i know, and one with not one answer, but a whole string of answers .

thanks.

~~Voice of music's heart wrung from the wood.~~
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 06 December 2006, 16:29:23 »

Landre, you got it totally wrong (the cosmology). Please do read more up about the basic before drawing any conclusions.

Ava "was" not the high elven goddess. Apart from that this is Elven Myth of Santharia which got more or less lost in Nybelmar it goes VERY roughly like that:

Ava is the one who is dreaming the whole world, who created it, who brought the 12 Santharian  gods to life through dreaming and everything else as well. In this dreams rose evil as well, but she was not aware of it, that is Coór, her dark side, if you want to say so. The sun's name is the Injèrá (female) , circles in front of Caelereth, the moon (male) at the other side of the disc.
The day Avá will awake, the world will end.

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Miraran Tehuriden

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 07 December 2006, 02:59:55 »

Also, to answer the gate question; The gate of krath is the valley through which krath once expelled their enemies; the horseman tribes of men, and the Orcs. It is not a litteral gate, but more like you could say a certain port or road is the 'gate' to an area. it is also the site of several strongholds, and parts of the plans are used for military practice, if i'm not mistaken. this info can all be found somewhere on the sit though.

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Mirmec Rethindor

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 December 2006, 03:03:04 »

ok thanks there Talia, that is alot clearer now. I will now go study the sun god some .

thanks again. i am reading alot, but there is more to read as you know. So guidance is good to see where to begin.

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 07 December 2006, 03:33:55 »

The Injérá is no sun god, Landre, it is  - after elven belief - made by one of the 12 gods, Foiros.

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
Miraran Tehuriden

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 07 December 2006, 03:39:54 »

Foiros, God of Flames and Heat

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Mirmec Rethindor

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 December 2006, 10:26:31 »

Also, to answer the gate question; The gate of krath is the valley through which krath once expelled their enemies; the horseman tribes of men, and the Orcs. It is not a litteral gate, but more like you could say a certain port or road is the 'gate' to an area. it is also the site of several strongholds, and parts of the plans are used for military practice, if i'm not mistaken. this info can all be found somewhere on the sit though.

yeah i saw that entry in introduction to the Zhunites, but i also saw another reference to a Great Gate elsewhere so didnt know if they were the same thing.

so much to learn my brain will .. explode.. (kablewiee!)

Coren FrozenZephyr

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08 December 2006, 02:48:59 »

The "Great Gate of Krath"? Where did you get the reference to this? I don't remember writing about one... (please in the future whenever you refer to something specific, include the entry reference).

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 08 December 2006, 02:56:17 »

Coren, could it be from your entry of the  "Grand Empire of Krath" ? There you mention a  Grand Gate

Nybelmarasa, as the only region not caged in by mountain ranges, served as Krath’s portal to foreign lands, hence the epithet “The Grand Gate”. There is also a less romantic story for how the expression came about: When the Empire expanded towards the north from Zhun, Nybelmarasa became the “Gate” through which the Krathamar expelled the tribal black orcs and human nomads to arid wastelands of Orcal and Vaenath respectively. ...

Landre, the site is much bigger than you think, then add what is still in the heads of the main developers and not written down..

There are not just the Coór'hém living there, but several other elven tribes, which are partly developed and which you could have found easily over the menue. You are assuming too much with not enough knowledge.
« Last Edit: 08 December 2006, 03:04:29 by Talia Sturmwind » Logged

Mirmec Rethindor

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 08 December 2006, 04:08:39 »

you are right, but i'm working on a tool to remedy that problem ;p

check me in a few weeks, i bet i know alot more...

Coren FrozenZephyr

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09 December 2006, 03:47:52 »

Yes, Mira is right. It wasn't meant to signify a literal/corporeal gate - rather, a description for the region

Rakshiri
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 7

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 09 January 2007, 01:03:21 »

Just a proposal but the term "Nybelmar" is either a Santharian or Santerran/Thangruil term, simplistic I always assumed it means something like "sea of fog" which would be how the ocean around the Santerran islands looks like and how a Santharian traveler sees this land for the first time.

Trying to add some stuff to the wordlist, if it conflicts your understanding, ignore it
Aca-Thangruil (Santerran tongue)

-Aca,...                      high, holy
-Amuneth,...              of the Sun (used on any territory owned by Korweyn

-Dolion,...                  mountains, mountain range

-Faellaenion,...           forest, woods

-huronor                   blinding

-kaneion,...                valley, canyon

-Mar-en, -ein, -eth,..    Waters, sea, ocean
-Moreden,...               plain

-Neytherrion,...           kingdom, territory, realm
-Naezshan,...             desert
-Nybe,...                  fog