Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: The Rain Forest of Nybelmar Project  (Read 9390 times)
Lucius Helvil
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 18 July 2005, 16:10:00 »

Now my first question is am I offically the head of this project? My second question is who Coren? He said
Quote:
Actually I would love that! I have tons of flower names dotting my entries and drafts that do not have entries yet.

But I need to know who he his to find his entries.

My order of business is what should the forests be named? There are the jungles on the Southwest Peninsula, Kaleman Islands and possibly the Anpagan Peninsula.

I would also like to mention about its "project" status. So far there are only 3 entries that have a place in these forests and one that is in progress. The rain forest will dozens of entries to fill the vast gap. There currently is no tree species for the rain forests. Therefore I have given this the "project" status.

Edited by: Lucius Helvil at: 7/18/05 0:45
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 18 July 2005, 17:25:00 »

Well, Coren designed this, you are still a newbie with not a single entry up and approved, so I would say, stick to Coren, and all will be fine.

Coren has no teampage yet, ohhhh! COREN, fill out your application form!

Ok, his full name is Coren FrozenZephyr  and he is one of the left Nybelmar experts who is currently available, besides Smith in Exile, but he is in the moment on a language learning holiday in France.

Let‘s see, if I recall all his entries (or at least the most important ones)

THE KREAN MILITARY OUTPOST KÁRÁKÁN
www.santharia.com/places/...utpost.htm

www.santharia.com/places/...wn.htm#Top

www.santharia.com/places/...tm#History

Here you might find something about the jungle
www.santharia.com/herbari...#Territory

I know, that he has written as well some persons entries, but can‘t find them, maybe Art knows a way to find them.

Ahh, lol, just found out, that you find of course all works of him with the search funktion, just put in Coren.

***Astropic of the day***
"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Smith in Exile

Gained Aura: 4

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 July 2005, 17:30:00 »

@Coren: Now you see why Arti was bugging you with that team page?

@Lucius: Coren generally deals with the southwest Nybelmar (the Krean people and Zhun)

About the forests. This continent is not as well developed as Sarvonia, but we're working on it :)  That's why the maps have many blank spots and unnamed places. The current names that are showing up are supposed to be in the Santerran tongue, so different spellings/translations are possible. Now judging from the entries dones so far and the general climate patterns for the whole world, I concluded that if we are to have rainforests in Nybelmar they would fit the southern peninsulas and islands. So even if they don't show up on the map that doesn't mean that they cannot be there. Actually the southwestern peninsula (which btw, doesn't have a name yet, I'd go for "Krean" though, like the people dwelling there) is supposed to be quite heavily forested. Also the Kaleman islands are supposed to look like those "tropical paradises". The Anpagan area has a quite large marshland in the southwest (see the Venlaken Enclave entry).

So, since you were the first to propose this, yes, we can say that you're "officially in charge" of this rainforest project :)   You can go ahead with naming things when you feel like it - when something doesn't really fit we will give you a sign.

Smith in Exile

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 July 2005, 17:35:00 »

@Talia: lol, we were typing in the same time.

@Lucius: just take it one step at the time, as soon as you start writing entries you'll see what I mean.

Lucius Helvil
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 July 2005, 19:14:00 »

Thanks for the responses. My first question is what is Santerran toung. I have been having trouble locating the places on the map that Coren made. So I have no reference as to how close these places to the Jungle.

I think I am going to start off with making a detailed map of the Southwest Peninsula, where I am going to concentrate the most of my effort on at the moment.

Lucius Helvil
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 July 2005, 20:41:00 »

How would I go about making such a map? I don't have Adobe so I can't do that. ? ?

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 19 July 2005, 00:35:00 »

Oh, map making is not easy, and it should match the other maps on the site. So why not describe the place/plants first and maybe later a map can be done as well?

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 19 July 2005, 00:43:00 »

Lucius, try to contact Coren or go through his main entry and look there for plants mentioned. It is always better to describe needed and already  mentioned things, than to develop new ones, otherwise it will never be something "whole".

Lucius Helvil
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 July 2005, 06:44:00 »

Quote:
My first question is what is Santerran toung. I have been having trouble locating the places on the map that Coren made. So I have no reference as to how close these places to the Jungle.
-Me

You still havn't answered these questions.Could you please be so kind as to answer them.

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 19 July 2005, 09:08:00 »

"Santerran toung" ?? no idea, what you mean - language??

Lucius, if you want to work in this region, you have to look up Corens entry, at least read the parts you need to know. Before writing something , a lot of research and reading you into the world is needed!
You find all you need in the entries themselves, f.e.

Flora. Sáh is edged on the west by great deciduous forests – as well as a small ring of evergreen trees growing in the higher slopes – of the Deep Stone Hills. It is also possible to find a wide range of bushes and will flowers that do not thrive in the hotter southern lands within these woods.

Description. Náráh or Nárvá is the eastern district of the Krean metropolis Síhítárá ("Star-Pride"). Like the other wards of the city, the district looks like a giant rhombus of cleared terrain within the vast jungle from a bird’s eye view. Within this district are located the Midsummer Palace, the mayor’s and the province governess’ quarters, nineteen gargantuan trade posts, three harbors, and a plethora of storehouses and embassies. In the district of Nárvá, as can be seen, pounds the administrative heart of Síhítárá.

For easier transportation and passage within the ward the dense undergrowth of the southern jungles is completely cleared. Compared to the rest of the metropolis, Náráh has fewer trees and wildlife. In fact, the only green areas left in the Mayor’s City, as the district is sometimes called, are planned recreational areas, parks and springs. Even the handful of trees growing on the sides of the ward’s graceful boulevards and corners are planted to comfort the throngs of merchants and officers passing by with pleasant shades and scents. Sandwiched between the drives are red and white parcels of an intriguing breed of tropic oleanders. Throughout the entire district, these oleanders are shaped into mythological entities stemming from the city’s legends. There is no doubt that the priestesses of Ankriss, the Krath High Goddess of Earth, play a significant part in sustaining these stylish hedge rows. The opulent smell of the oleanders is further enriched by the priestesses to mask the unpleasant stenches rising from the storehouses and trade posts by engulfing the neighborhood in lovely fragrances. The scents of the flowers seem to be radically amplified as one approaches the modest shrine dedicated to the goddess in the mayor’s garden.

After the unification of the Aestera with the Lillivear under the guidance of the High Priestess, the two groups started to reside together in striking cities hidden deep within the Krath forests. Most united towns are surrounded by tall and elegant white walls and clear rivers on all sides. Although the Aesteran and Lillivear architects and rulers are most careful about the harm they cause to their surroundings, a large area of underbush around the cities great enough to be protected by walls is cleared. Since most such towns are located either in secluded areas with a geographical obstacle like a mountain shielding the city's rear or a waterfall, or on top of and around hills, the deforestation is minimized. During the process the plant life is slowly cleared, sometimes up to five or more years, via magic and the other most trees within the city's range are bent towards the direction of possible invasions to hinder the enemy's advance. The clearing also helps keeping a clear line of sight of the town's surroundings.

Lucius Helvil
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 July 2005, 16:09:00 »

Quote:
That's why the maps have many blank spots and unnamed places. The current names that are showing up are supposed to be in the Santerran tongue, so different spellings/translations are possible.

So what is the Santerran language in reference to this?

Smith in Exile

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19 July 2005, 18:22:00 »

It's the language used in Aca-Santerra, the human kingdom in the southeast Nybelmar. Those maps were supposedly drawn by them.

Lucius Helvil
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19 July 2005, 18:26:00 »

Is there any place I can find this language? Like where would I look on the site for information about it?

Lucius Helvil
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 19 July 2005, 20:57:00 »

Ok here is a basic feel for what I intend the rain forest on the Southwestern penisula will be like.

At the foothills of the mountians the outskirts of the rain forest would grow. Rapidly the jungle thickens into an unnavagatable mass. In order to pass through the jungle the vegatation must be cut, making for slow travel. Or you take by the way of the rivers; which quickly become a confusing maze.
As you approch the ocean the forest starts to thin but the land is saturated with water. The rain forest soon turns into a swamp; a large wetland with few passages through by water or by land. The swamp is dangerous and full of monsters and other unknown creatures. Finally the tropical wetlands open up into the sea. The saving sea.

I don't have names for anything yet or anything. I am simply setting the mood for the area. Is there anything contradicting about this or anything wrong or you would like changed.

P.S. My question from the previous two post were not answered yet.

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #14 on: 20 July 2005, 00:25:00 »

Now I got it! How much correct spelling helps! ;)  No, I don't think there is a section in the language forum explaining the outlines of the Nybelmar languages like you can find it for Styrash, the dwarven language, the Kuglimz or some other minor ones(where only a few words are listed), which give just a few words.
But I think, it is not necessary to elaborate these languages - who has the time for it? Just make up some names with Coren and Smith, which sound fine, then it will be ok.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]