Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Pallaeion Vaenath  (Read 1972 times)
Lucius Helvil
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 25 March 2006, 22:29:00 »

I am currently in the process of developing the Vaenath Plains. I will post my overall ideas about the area, if you see anything that needs to be changed let me know. Though, this is mostly for my orginazition. I'll list off what I currently have come up with for the region.

Big river in middle of plain runing north to south. Long mountian range to the east and a small cluster of mountians to the west. A bit past thoes mountians is a big inland sea. Just south of that is a large desert.

The plain is mainly governed by the nomadic Benderran tribe. The tribe travels across the area following the route of the animals that they hunt. The tribe is in fear of another attack from the Chyrakisth Orcs. They are considered barbaic and ruthlessly evil by all. During the Dry(or)Wet season the orcs live in(or)over the mountians off of the supplies they raided in the Dry(or)Wet season. The Benderran tribe lives in covered wagons pulled by some exotic animal.

As you are already aware there are two seasons, the wet and the dry season. In the wet season there are large thunderstorms that rampage the area often (two or three such storms a week). Along with the storms come the threat of tornadoes, downpours, hail and floods. A Downpour is where it rains on a small, concentrated area. This can cause severe flooding and damage to wagons, plants, and animals. During the dry season the threats are much different. There are large dust storms that are created by the winds blown in from the desert. Fires are also prevelent, espicially near the end of the Dry season, when some plants have lost all thier mostiure.

The plant and animals are in the same style as thoes found on the African Savana. There are a great varity of grasses that are only accessible or edible by certain animals. Many of the grasses and plants have adapted to store water for the dry season. The animals migrate in a large circle around the plain. Though some smaller animals can still be found elsewhere, the large animals follow the circle. They migrate for many reasons. One is so they have a constant supply of food, which would be unaviable if overgrazed. Another is so they are away from the river during the wet season, wich can be dangerous with the flooding. Another is something to do with their mating and giving birth and all that(havn't worked out yet).

If you spot any problems with it please let me know. Coren, on the map in your Karath entry I noticed that the plain was spilt in two politicaly. Is that just an old map or is there something specific about that?

Coren FrozenZephyr

Gained Aura: 157

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 26 March 2006, 05:11:00 »

I assume this is the description of Vaenath as it is today, right?

There are several nomadic tribes in the region, one of them is the Doimo (check the site). As for the others... pangs of guilt, pangs of guilt... we need to finish the timeline...

"Everything should be as simple as possible and not simpler." Albert Einstein

"Is he allowed to do that?"
"I think that comes under the rule of Quia Ego Sic Dico."
"Yes, what does that mean?"
"'Because I say so', I think."
"That doesn't sound like much of a rule!"
"Actually, it's the only one he needs." (Making Money by Terry Pratchett)
Lucius Helvil
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 March 2006, 10:32:00 »

Yes this is current. What about that map?

Smith in Exile

Gained Aura: 4

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 March 2006, 18:56:00 »

If you're doing the landscape and flora+fauna, you don't need to worry about the nomads. The Doimo are living in the Zhunith desert, though we might be forced to move them elsewhere, we don't know that yet. Also I'm thinking that there are more than just one Benderran tribe, but it's too early for that now. The Chyrakisth would descend in warbands from the Zharkanions.

The only thing is the climate. If Coren's peninsula has a mediterranean climate then what would be the climate in Vaenath? (also judging by the huge mountain range in the east - Zharkanions - and the mountains to the south (Benderra) plus the western inland sea...)

Lucius Helvil
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 March 2006, 21:11:00 »

The weather can be explained by the winds. During the dry season the winds blow from the Desert from the west. During the wet season the winds blow from the south. They blow from the large bay in the Zyloth Sea, and go around the mountians. This brings alot of mostiure. During the wet season winds also blow from the inland sea. They go north around the mountians, also bringing mostiure with them. The cross winds cause tornadoes and downpours.

Anyways overall I am simply developing the area as a whole. Trying to come up with a cohereant concept. After that I will make entries about the specific parts.

Why might the Domino tribe need to move? Is it because of the time line? What do you mean there might be more than one Benderran tribe? For what specific reason?

Also with the Orcs that was my idea that I posted above. Must have been a misunderstanding. But that is the same idea.

Smith in Exile

Gained Aura: 4

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 March 2006, 00:05:00 »

Doimo: we needed to take over their area, by placing there the original Orcristh and some of the Benderran tribes - which will be removed by Krath. After the Year of Darkness the area becomes a desert - the Zhunith Desert. You are writing on Vaenath => don't worry about Doimo, we'll see what we'll do with them.

Benderrans: those plains (Vaenath) and the Benderran mountains are a "pool" of nomadic humans. From that "pool" the early Pagans (that will become Anpagans) and the Kassites migrate to the eastern realms, for instance. They will have a sort of a kingdom once or more - definitely once before the Year of Darkness, as Coren needs a "vasal" state there :)  They should have a fair amount of horses though.

I don't particulary like the idea of wagons yet, but the whole thing is very vague yet. Anyway, if you start with the landscape and flora+fauna, then we can build the tribes after that and according to what you write there. Let's see. Just don't restrain your imagination, go for as much exotism as you can :)  

Lucius Helvil
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 March 2006, 01:43:00 »

About the wagons. I'm not too fond of them either, but it will all be worked out in the end. Keep in mind for their shelter they need something semipermant, because of the extream weather.

I was going for the exotic for flora and fauna. They are suited for the lack of water in the Dry season, or the fires, or floods, many various addaptations. Does the whole migratory idea work? Anyway I will keep dreaming up some more.

Coren FrozenZephyr

Gained Aura: 157

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 March 2006, 03:16:00 »

Quote:
The only thing is the climate. If Coren's peninsula has a mediterranean climate then what would be the climate in Vaenath? (also judging by the huge mountain range in the east - Zharkanions - and the mountains to the south (Benderra) plus the western inland sea...)

The Zhunite Plains have a mediterranean climate. The peninsula is covered in typical rainforests (centre downwards), so that suggests a sub-tropical climate. (is that right btw? I'll need to do some research).

I promise to get on to the climate but I am too sick of seeing the Krath entry for now. I need some time :  

"Everything should be as simple as possible and not simpler." Albert Einstein

"Is he allowed to do that?"
"I think that comes under the rule of Quia Ego Sic Dico."
"Yes, what does that mean?"
"'Because I say so', I think."
"That doesn't sound like much of a rule!"
"Actually, it's the only one he needs." (Making Money by Terry Pratchett)
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]