Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Cor'hm martial arts?  (Read 2877 times)
xerampelinae deicida
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 29 April 2006, 00:40:00 »

I was thinking of doing a weapon based on a Butterfly sword to be used predominately be the Cor'hm Elves. I want read about their martial arts before I start but I cant find anything

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 29 April 2006, 00:53:00 »

I'm not very happy, that just in the moment where my Shendar sword is about to go up another weapon is created which is used with both hands, even if it is on another continent. *sigh*

The entry says, their main weapon is a scimitar.

Just mail Viresse, what she thinks about it, maybe you get an answer.

***Astropic of the day***
"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
xerampelinae deicida
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 April 2006, 14:37:00 »

Sent her an email.

I don't intend to change their main weapon I just intend to make this one of the weapons they conceal on themselves.

Mina
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 April 2006, 22:32:00 »

Ah, butterfly swords.  Nice weapons.  I don't think they're suitable for the coor'hem though.  It's a very distinctive Chinese weapon.  I just don't think they feel very dark-elven, whether in terms of appearance or in the way they're used.  They're also not very easily concealed in coor'hem clothing, I think.  The Chinese used to wear loose silk robes, while the coor'hem wear tight leather clothing.  I think they're more likely to use daggers and stilettoes as concealed weapons.  

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 01 May 2006, 03:07:00 »

Xera, not that we could not have and probably will have at some point similar weapons in our world, especially on two different continents, but please before starting (regrdless what for trbe you may find) have a look at the Double Kilij for the Shendar.

They are not hidden, but the "double blade" is here - and this is the fascinating part.  

***Astropic of the day***
"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Coren FrozenZephyr

Gained Aura: 157

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 May 2006, 07:25:00 »

Xera - what did I tell you? I was going to pick your next entry - please don't rush into things as it gets very difficult to scoop you out afterwards ;P

The butterfly sword is actually the characteristic weapon of Wing Tsun. The Zhunite martial art "New Spring" was modeled primarily after Wing Tsun with four other styles integrated. However, the entry is very disorganized as it is and still needs me to make some major changes.

So: please do not start right away with this sword idea - maybe we can have it in the future. Right now, im me on what you want to work on generally (eg. herbarium) for the moment and I will come up with a few projects for you. That way we will both get some important gaps filled in Nybelmar and you will be doing entries that will help improve your style.

How does that sound?  

"Everything should be as simple as possible and not simpler." Albert Einstein

"Is he allowed to do that?"
"I think that comes under the rule of Quia Ego Sic Dico."
"Yes, what does that mean?"
"'Because I say so', I think."
"That doesn't sound like much of a rule!"
"Actually, it's the only one he needs." (Making Money by Terry Pratchett)
xerampelinae deicida
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 May 2006, 18:28:00 »

Mina has a good point about the clothes.

I didn't take this into consideration when I suggested this weapon.

After considering what Coren said I think this would work better as a Zunite weapon.  Its best to wait till after the new spring entry is straitened up.

I have quite a few Ideas and some of them are more complicated then the last one I did or have major problems so I figured I'd float the idea thru this forum before I start anything

Coren FrozenZephyr

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 May 2006, 01:13:00 »

Xera, as I said before, you first need to send me your areas of interest... Only then can I come up with a project for you to work on. And only then - and ONLY then- can you begin your next entry - that is if you want uri-checks from me...

xerampelinae deicida
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 May 2006, 19:22:00 »

I've got several Ideas mostly plant and animals I'll send you a basic description of them sometime so we can figure something out. My general intrest is in making Nybelmar more dangerous

Coren FrozenZephyr

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05 May 2006, 03:14:00 »

Xera will you actually listen and respond sensibly for once? "Making nybelmar more dangerous" hardly is an area of interest in this context. I want to know which type of development you want to continue (beasts, plants, places, people etc). My main interest is places. As I said I would uricheck and help you out with your first smaller proposals even if they are beasts/plants - even though I am not very interested in those categories. But in order for this apprenticeship to work, you 1) Have to listen to what I say and try to understand it and not just follow whatever you have in mind and try to patch it into a format you think I would like. It doesn't work that way. Feel free to continue in that direction but then a) I won't be checking those entries b) They won't be going up. If you want to peddle endlessly and uselessly, feel free - but I won't be wasting my time with those anymore.

2) You need to have an idea of what you want out of this apprenticeship. That implies having a project in mind. You do not yet have to define what your masterwork will be exactly,but you need to have a rough idea so we can decide what "groundwork" entries you need to work on before you can successfully tackle such a massive master-work.

My specialty is places - villages, lakes, towns... That is what I am here to mentor. If you have no interest in eventually working at a places entry (and this is in fact why you should be writing those beast and plant entries: to prepare the setting for a grander idea), then I'm sorry but i am not your guy. Doing random, unconnected entries and waiting for me to nod my head and correct them for you wil not do. That is not the purpose of an apprenticeship. That you can do on your spare time when you improve enough to be a member. My job here as you rmentor is to prepare you up to that standard we ask at member works - and do that as efficiently and quickly as possible. I am here to hone your skills not colour mark changes on every idea that pops into your head.

Being responsible for all the entries of a person is very taxing - and extremely time consuming. Uri-checks are just as fun as doing an entry of your own. Now I did agree to sacrifice a great portion of my online time by becoming a mentor to guide newbies to the Dream and help them integrate themselves into the greater context. BUT I am only willing to do that if the other side is "receiving" and learning. Otherwise we need to stop this mentorship. I will not waste my time trying to teach if you have no interest in learning and see me only as someone "obliged" to comment on your entries and a "step" you need to walk over to get entries on the site. It doesn't work that way.

Mentors are not chained slaves bid to read, comment, check and whenever they do not feel like it themselves finish the entries of their apprentices.

xerampelinae deicida
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05 May 2006, 10:48:00 »

I'm going thru each of the groups that live in Nybelmar and coming up with some ideas then grouping them by who they are most relevent too. As of now my list includes animals plant, weapons and places. Some of the places are deffinately more complicated thoughan probably better left for a master entry. I'll send you the list after I finish it then we can discus what I'll do next.

Affter I have some idea of what I'm going to do next I'll post some relevant questions on the apropriate boards so you don't have to reign in my wild Ideas as much. Making it a lot easier for you to check my next proposal.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]