Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Drifting Woods project discussion thread. Updated!  (Read 15054 times)
Coren FrozenZephyr

Gained Aura: 157

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 12 April 2006, 10:44:00 »

BTW: When you say 'the northwestern forest will do just fine', do you mean the smaller one to the northwest of Moredien Kaerath or the larger two to the northeast of the plains?

"Everything should be as simple as possible and not simpler." Albert Einstein

"Is he allowed to do that?"
"I think that comes under the rule of Quia Ego Sic Dico."
"Yes, what does that mean?"
"'Because I say so', I think."
"That doesn't sound like much of a rule!"
"Actually, it's the only one he needs." (Making Money by Terry Pratchett)
Miraran Tehuriden

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #16 on: 14 April 2006, 12:19:00 »

Elves;
-Elves are the typical inhabitants of the forrest.
-Elves are naturaly more inclined to keeping to themselves.
-Elves are, apart from the Brownies, the race most oriantated towards shaping nature to accomodate their needs, instead of removing it to make room for culturised lands.  And picturing Brownies in this setting just seem a bit strange.
-Elves are 'at harmony' with their surroundings. If anything would survive in there, it is the elves.

also

-There is no real reason NOT to allow the elves in, since they don't require the outside world, meaning they can be designed as a tribe possibly 100% different from their kin in other places. These guys have been here for aeons, without bothering to keep in touch with their relatives. Their habits and customs might have changed completely.
-And hey, imagine an exotic fantasy forest, and picture its inhabitants..

admit it, its Elves, isn't it?

-Words to Worlds-

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Coren FrozenZephyr

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 14 April 2006, 12:45:00 »

:speechless   It's KREAN of course!

Elves should be fine for now or? If anyone has objections we can also discuss it when the time comes to write the tribe entry.

Edited by: Coren FrozenZephyr at: 4/13/06 20:56

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #18 on: 14 April 2006, 12:52:00 »

Quote:
-There is no real reason NOT to allow the elves in, since they don't require the outside world, meaning they can be designed as a tribe possibly 100% different from their kin in other places. These guys have been here for aeons, without bothering to keep in touch with their relatives. Their habits and customs might have changed completely.

Miraran, we don't like this exclusiveness very much, for many come and want to set an elusive tribe without connection to the rest of the world somewhere in the wilderness. If we allow anybody new to do so, then we have a lot of independent, not communicating and trading tribes in a world which has nothing in common. These elves shouldn't be too different to what we have - their relations to their origin should be visible somewhere. We don't have any kind of darwinism here, though we do allow some adaptation to the environment.

Your arguments about why you want to have elves are fitting, but Coren is right as well - humans can adapt to ANY environment, maybe better than elves. You can shape them as well as you like, so if Coren doesn‘t want to have elves there, please accept it, for he is the ‚master‘ of this region.

@Mina: Not sure, if we should not let the islands undeveloped as well for now.

***Astropic of the day***
"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Coren FrozenZephyr

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 14 April 2006, 13:02:00 »

I don't really mind whether they are elves or not. My main concern is respecting Koldar's original concept for his continent; he always imagined humans on the shores and elves in the interior.

Talia is right about taking the easy 'isolation' way instead of having to research thoroughly and try to relate a tribe into the already existing matrix of the world. I am fine with these people being seclusive but to the degree of 'no trade or contact with outsiders. This tribe is a self-sufficient one'. Maybe they do trade/interact with 'outsiders' because they are forced to barter for some resources/luxuries that can't be found in their forests, but that is much less than the other tribes. Also maybe they have a certain 'sour attitude' when they are dealing with the 'outside world'; maybe they wear a special kind of clothing / veil their faces / some sort of 'I am doing this but know that i am not enjoying it' ritual / certain phrases, actions, movement etc.

But that is for later. Nevertheless carry the concept in your head - who knows, some brilliant ideas might sprout sooner than you expect!

Miraran Tehuriden

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #20 on: 14 April 2006, 14:35:00 »

Well.. I'm going to get in, so they obviously have some way of communicating with outsiders...  but one can wonder whether that might be a recent thing or not. also, we know they have a trading relation with the Nybelmer, and i was planning on devising a way for them to trade with inlanders as well, wihtout actualy having to deal with trading caravans and the like.

As to the location Coren, it depends.. the 'double forests' on the east side of Kaerath have, verry promising, a river flowing through, and acces to the maren nybeth, a place the nybelmer might find comfortable.. the only 'but' here, is that i'm not sure whether the river is completely enveloped by the forest, wich is just not shown on the map near the mouth for readability, or whether the mouth of the river lies outside of the forest... because the latter option makes a this kind of environment rather unbelievable. Would this be the case, i will have to use the western, smaller one, and probably need to incorporate some of the knowledge already generated on the inhabitants of the plains adjactent since somewhat under 4000 square km isn't large enough to keep out the neigbouring ecosystem.

-Words to Worlds-

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Smith in Exile

Gained Aura: 4

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 14 April 2006, 18:52:00 »

Just a note: the maps are symbolic - not exactly satellite maps, you know... :)  So don't worry too much. You should choose one of these two regions: Kaerath or Julsten. I think I know what Coren has in mind as he was mentioning somewhere in the timeline a human tribe from southwest that migrated to the north. Anyway, I'm fine with either, but elves would make more sense in Julsten (and the northern shores of the Inner Sea) than in Kaerath.

Now, if those elves are Sarteran off-shoot that's not quite isolation, as there is a lot of history to be integrated there. Same with humans. Your choice. To stay true to the original principle yes, Kaerath would mean humans, Julsten would mean elves (though when we speak of Kaerath we really speak of a remote place, rarely visited by anyone)

Coren FrozenZephyr

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 15 April 2006, 04:13:00 »

No!

Moredein (Plains) Julsten >>>> Elves, possibly an expansion of the Sartheran elves. Open for suggestions

Mountains south of Moredein Julsten >>> Sartheran Elves

Coastline north of Moredein Julsten >>> Humans. Yes, those that have migrated from the southwest following the Breaking.

The last two are not open to changes at this point, I'm sorry. But I'm getting a little tired of repeating myself.

If you want Merfolk in the Inner Sea that can always be arranged. We don't need to shift this project to the Julsten area for that.

If we must have humans in Kaerath, maybe they could be an offshoot of the Krean. Forced to move there after the horrors of the Breaking. More anti-social, less friendly, erratic and well more 'weird' in general. Probably in all those centuries they have changed beyond recognition (especially culture) with the main tribe (Krean).

But let us first focus on the ecosystem! Usually it is the geography that affects the people living in the region not the other way around

Miraran Tehuriden

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #23 on: 15 April 2006, 04:59:00 »

Then i will write this as befitting the river-crossed forest in the northeastern point, this allows a more gradient transition, starting as a normal Nybelmarian forest, and turning in to the mangrove a fter a few stral...

I'll assume the final tribe will be elven in my entries though, something that can easilly be adapted in the case it'll have to be Humans.

First start at writing flora entries in progress.. a real 'support' to the floating forest.. the Pillar Tree!

-Words to Worlds-

Avrah Kehabhra

Smith in Exile

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 15 April 2006, 07:03:00 »

@Coren: lol, "No!" what? We're talking about the same thing.

@Miraran: try to avoid the "people" sections in your entries for now - just use "coming soon" or something. Don't try to work on too many levels (ask Coren, as he learned it the hard way :p ). Just start with the rainforest and the respective entries. That should take you quite some time. After that, we'll get to a tribe concept as well (hopefully as we will do more work on the timeline too...)

Coren FrozenZephyr

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 15 April 2006, 07:10:00 »

@Smith:

Quote:
You should choose one of these two regions: Kaerath or Julsten.

That's what I said no to :)  No Julsten.

I think we're having communication problems in this thread :p  Basically we're either all saying the same thing or taking someone to mean the exact opposite of what they actually have said :confused

I think Miraran's forest has already begun to show its strange effects...

Smith in Exile

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 15 April 2006, 07:18:00 »

cool... :smokin

(for me that area north of the Inner Sea is all Julsten for the lack of any better names - until we find names, meaning until we develop the areas, I'm just taking the closest name on the map and use it; btw this is also a nice way to test the names, to see if people, including yourself, the one using it, are able to remember it, spell it right etc.)

Miraran Tehuriden

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #27 on: 05 May 2006, 12:08:00 »

There... this project is now officially up and running, with two entries either in progress or awaiting comments, and a whole list of ideas already put into my dev scedule.

To clarify things;

- I have claimed the largest of the two forest sections of the Moredein Kaerath, namely the one with the river flowing trough, on the northwestern point of the Kaerath, close to the Essalui Thareliath.

- I have named this area the Drifting Woods in Tharian, and devised the Styrash equivalent Phédán'lón.

PLEASE tell me if anyone objects to these actions, since i CAN change it if the need arises, (although i'd rather not, this location is perfect.) And changing it will be a lot harder once the entries start going up.

-Words to Worlds-

Avrah Kehabhra

Coren FrozenZephyr

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 06 May 2006, 06:51:00 »

All is fine with me. And I like the name - at last something comphrehendible appears on our map!

Miraran Tehuriden

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #29 on: 06 May 2006, 11:18:00 »

Pointers on Dristing Woods climate;

-Average setting, tropical. This is archieved by several features->

- No solid ground-> the forest floor is made up from entangled roots, combined with fallen leaves, animal and plant remains, etc, etc... at many places, this layer is thin or non exsistend, other such places are strong enough to carry great trees. warmth from the sea currents can travel along the entire lower side of the Drifting Woods. ( The Tanglewater)

-Geothermal active seabed-> The seabed here is a 'hot spot', where the magma below is close by. this rises its temperature slightly, and enable s thepresence of small cracks, resulting in submersed  'hot springs'.. a number of these will be covered by an organism for the time being going with the working name HACT, wich essentialy releases water vapours in the forest atmosphere, making it a damn and warm place to be.

Mineral food sources are delivered by the river flowing into the area from the Moredein Kaerath, wich also negates part of the salty influence of the sea on the water levels.

Rain is probably plentiful, being surrounded by sea on two sides.

The flora is basically a big, tangled mess.. paths on the ground are as common as ones through the canopy, and water and ground alternates frequently. It is a rather damp forest, and its entire ecology is aimed at the water-forest interactions. Trees interact with the watery environment, and the odd soil structure ( Pillar Trees, and the future Tangleroot entry are such structure-trees ), where animals have adapted to profit from both habitats

-Words to Worlds-

Avrah Kehabhra

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]