Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: Drifting Woods project discussion thread. Updated!  (Read 15709 times)
Miraran Tehuriden

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #30 on: 06 May 2006, 13:31:00 »

Coren, is the Krean Cosmology/Magic concept still true? And if it is, would it be possible the humans of the Drifting Woods posess a magic based on the same ideas?

It would be the perfect way to allow them to shape the trees into their housings... select the possibility of a tree growing in the disired direction/shape...

-Words to Worlds-

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Coren FrozenZephyr

Gained Aura: 157

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 06 May 2006, 13:47:00 »

:: looks around slyly ::

Shhh! There is no such thing as Krean magic!

:: checks surroundings::

That concept is on hold for now (I need to finish off some Ximax related theory stufff first).

Quote:
select the possibility of a tree growing in the disired direction/shape...

That is easier said than done... Saying Krean magic happens by the substition of one piece of reality with an alternative possibility is like saying Ximaxian magic is achieved through a shift in the universal aura. Both are theoretically correct but the actual methods are quite more complicated and hard - not to mention the limitations in means!

However this is what I've been thinking: A lot of Krean went on a self-proclaimed exodus after the High Priestess (powers of a demi-god almost) went mad and caused the Breaking (Year of Darkness: 1649bS). This of course resulted in many splinter groups, which settled all over the continent. The thought here is to make the Krean some sort of an Atlantis -from which some tribes claim to descend today.

One of those splinter groups could have been the ones that settled in the Drifting Woods (and maybe they intermingled with the people there? Or (I think you're going to love this idea): On their way up north they passed through Moredein Julsten >>> lands of the Sartheran elves. So many they managed to add some elves on their trail. That would mean those who occupy the Drifting Woods today would be: Descendants of a mixture of: natives (Humans?) + Krean + Sarthera. That's what I would call a true compromise solution: Humans! No Elves! NOOOO! I SAID HUMANS! How about half-elves? Deal!

Btw the Krean are already very well-versed in shaping trees and using their magic to alter the flora >> see the tribe entry (also watch the races forum for additions; I'm updating the entry section by section)

"Everything should be as simple as possible and not simpler." Albert Einstein

"Is he allowed to do that?"
"I think that comes under the rule of Quia Ego Sic Dico."
"Yes, what does that mean?"
"'Because I say so', I think."
"That doesn't sound like much of a rule!"
"Actually, it's the only one he needs." (Making Money by Terry Pratchett)
Miraran Tehuriden

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #32 on: 06 May 2006, 14:00:00 »

*pounce*

*tackle*

*cuddle Coren*

I love you Coren, i realy do!

-Words to Worlds-

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Decipher Ziron

Gained Aura: 55

General Genius of Remarkable Modesty

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 19 May 2006, 13:34:00 »

I would love to help develop flora and fauna the Krean forests.

Laugh ,and the World Laughs with you.

Weep, and you weep alone.
Miraran Tehuriden

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #34 on: 19 May 2006, 13:49:00 »

Well, the real Krean forests are in Coren's hands, i suppose, as the Krean are his favored playthings. Phéd'lón lies on the outer edges of the Twin Kingdom, and i doubt they even feel like being part of such a thing at all..

*re-reads what he just wrote* Well, that was completely besides the point now was it? Anyway, talk to Coren about the Krean jungles, i don't realy know how much of their ecology has been developed ( although i suspect there is a lot still to be done there)

-Words to Worlds-

Avrah Kehabhra

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #35 on: 19 May 2006, 14:28:00 »

Decipher, just ask Coren, he is away for a week now though.  

***Astropic of the day***
"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Coren FrozenZephyr

Gained Aura: 157

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 24 May 2006, 06:33:00 »

I am back now!

@Miraran:
Quote:
Phéd'lón lies on the outer edges of the Twin Kingdom

Just out of which hole of ignorance did you dig that out from? The Twin Kingdom is in the southwestern-most peninsula (to the north of the middle jungle) whereas the Drifting Woods are in the very far north of Western Nybelmar! Read people read! :P

@Decipher: Wonderful to see my apprentice back! I hope your exams went brillantly!

Actually working on the Krean forests is a splendid idea, although I have more or less a vision worked out for their culture and cities, I must admit I never gave much thought to the actual ecosystem they lived in!

I think a mentorship is most beneficial if the apprentice picks a region for him/herself and focuses all of his/her creativity on that area. Limiting your apprenticeship works to one region does not mean you are stuck with only one type of entry btw! Even for a single city you first need to figure out the geographic conditions of the surroundings (Places: Environment), the flora and fauna that can live there and would add a refreshing flavour to the are (Herbarium, Bestiary), important, famous or strange people who were born or live in the town (People), the town entry itself (Places: Settlements), industries or items - mythological or traditional - of the town (Misc: Items, Weapons, Industries)...

If a single settlement can have so many "off-shoots", imagine the options spread out before you if you "focus" on a REGION!

I therefore strongly urge all my apprentices to choose a region and assume responsibility for that area! It makes things so much easier and enjoyable for both parties, trust me!

Side-note for Decipher: Can we postpone your Scarlet Drake entry until we have the main timeline finished? I don't want to find out after you finished the entry that the place was burnt down 3 centuries ago!

Also, I will go over your White Advisor poem this weekend!

"Everything should be as simple as possible and not simpler." Albert Einstein

"Is he allowed to do that?"
"I think that comes under the rule of Quia Ego Sic Dico."
"Yes, what does that mean?"
"'Because I say so', I think."
"That doesn't sound like much of a rule!"
"Actually, it's the only one he needs." (Making Money by Terry Pratchett)
Miraran Tehuriden

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #37 on: 25 May 2006, 08:17:00 »

Mrrh.. i was under the impression the Twin had expanded during more recent ages to cover most of western nybelmar.. My bad..

-Words to Worlds-

Avrah Kehabhra

Decipher Ziron

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 28 May 2006, 03:58:00 »

Postponing the Scarlet Drake would be fine with me

ps: If I am your apprentice might I have a plaque?

Edited by: Decipher Ziron at: 5/27/06 11:58

Miraran Tehuriden

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #39 on: 28 May 2006, 04:51:00 »

Post a plaque request in the mentoring thread up at newbie forums. You're already in the Apprentice list, Arti just forgot your plaque methinks...

Oh and Coren.. you go have a look at the newbie board too..still something you need to reply to..

Miraran Tehuriden..

'What the hell is he doing?!' - Ximaxian Fire Master, last words.

Feed the rats, leave a message!

Avrah Kehabhra

Miraran Tehuriden

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #40 on: 21 June 2006, 14:59:00 »

Coren, as the refugees that left the Twin Kingdom to settle in the Phed'lon left at 16-something BS, and the actual fusion of Aestera and Lillivear into the Kingdom took place in 5491 bs, how would the wanderers introduce themselves to others?
In other words, would they call themselves Krean, instead of complicating things by trying to explain the two-tribe system?  

Miraran Tehuriden..

'What the hell is he doing?!' - Ximaxian Fire Master, last words.

Feed the rats, leave a message!

Avrah Kehabhra

Elendilwyn
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 3

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 10 July 2006, 09:03:00 »

Oooooh I just saw this thread!!! Love mangrove forests - I live next to one. There mangrove ecology is extremely interesting and has lots of room for innovation since you are dealing with the intertidal zone where creatures there are adapted to both land and sea, not to mention it as a great migratory stop-over for birds since the soil is rich and there are always good pickings for a meal. Fishes that have feet, carnivorous shells (that eat other shells), seeds from trees that fall like arrows so they can anchor themselves in the water-logged soil. Perfect setting for fantasy creatures. Then there are otters sometimes as well as Komodo dragons... those big huge lizards whose hide is so thick, it isn't easy to shoot them if they are chasing you. Just don't anger them. :nod

I'm not sure if I went out of point but yay for mangrove forests!!! If you need information on mangrove ecology, I can help... I used to be able to explain it pretty well.  

The artist usually sets out — or used to — to point a moral and adorn a tale. The tale, however, points the other way, as a rule. Two blankly opposing morals, the artist’s and the tale’s. Never trust the artist. Trust the tale.
- DH Lawrence

For the uncharted and unexplored, for the world that is in creation and for the minds that bring it to birth - Terra Incognita.
Miraran Tehuriden

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #42 on: 30 July 2006, 01:51:43 »

Small note to self;
keep up with Deciphers additions to southern Nybelmar rainforests, lot's of things to steal there...

Avrah Kehabhra

Decipher Ziron

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 01 August 2006, 20:13:21 »

Miraran I think you could give this new tribe nicknames due to the way they walk. You could even create unique homes for them, why not have a whole town suspended from trees?

PS: This unstable ground, is it like a layer of dirt floating on water or just incredibly damp so things flow around?

Miraran Tehuriden

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #44 on: 01 August 2006, 20:50:20 »

Both Decipher, and a lot more variations (flooded lands, quicksand, mud, sinkholes, tunnels to the Darkwaters below the trees, etc, etc.)

And fortunately, the main settlement of the DW will be suspended. It is in my dev. scedule under the working name of Weaving. I will even dev. Helix Vines for contruction use.

Avrah Kehabhra

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]