Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Drifting Woods project discussion thread. Updated!  (Read 15882 times)
Miraran Tehuriden

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« on: 11 April 2006, 11:11:00 »

Topic has been renamed to have its title resemble its new function, now the project has actualy been started.

Estimated list of the Project Requirements;

5-10 new tropical trees, at least 4-5 exclusive to the forrest (3 done)
about 20 new types of fish, 40-50% exclusive (2 done)
a dozen new birds, some exclusive, 30-40% in some way related to water (1 done)
about 40 new animals, many exclusive, and at least 75% dependant on water. ( this includes bugs, reptiles, amphibians, and mammals ) (5 done)
at least 20 new other plants, many of wich live on, or under the surface . (amongst others, these will add to the knowledge about the Mer, as many of these plants will be usefull to them, either as food, or as another kind of resource) (2 done)
an Human tribe, the Ter'ei'vikh
A Merfolk tribe, Nybelmer. (Probably including various sub-tribes all along Nybelmar) (In progress)
Human capital of Mûn'ti place entry.
Human settlement place entry, the Gates of M'aghin, a trading post on the woods edges.
A main area entry. (done)

A complete list of all entries directly related to the Drifting Woods;

Places
The Drifting Woods

Flora
Pillar Tree
Waterfruit Tree
Strangling Vine
Giant Marsh-Oak
Gunthreed

Fauna
Fish-Tick, Water Beetle
Oloy, Aquatic Mammal
Chorakee, Tree Fowl
Mogo, Fish
Driftspider
Mossmounds
Mosschildren
Archerfish Written by Drúadan
Eingana Whelp Written by Cirra
« Last Edit: 11 June 2007, 05:15:18 by Miraran Tehuriden » Logged

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Smith in Exile

Gained Aura: 4

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 11 April 2006, 14:53:00 »

Define "redraw the coastline"... :)  

Such a place could work on the shores of that western Inner Sea - maybe NW of it, or N. The elves in question might be Sarteran, or Sarteran in origins. The Merfolk that you mention might be a problem, as their entry says nothing about Nybelmar.

However this is a really big project, as it involves tribe development as well. But I guess that you could start fleshing out the landscape and the individual herbarium/bestiary entry first and then we'll see. Also, remember that Nybelmar (especially west Nybelmar) is supposed to look exotic from a Sarvonian point of view - so even if you use a rl structure, let your imagination run wild, really wild. Think of this as initiation test :p  

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 11 April 2006, 14:58:00 »

So this makes all in all more than 100 entries to have a mangrove tree standing somewhere eh? :lol  

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Coren FrozenZephyr

Gained Aura: 157

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 April 2006, 15:00:00 »

Please wait for me to respond to this thread before you begin anything. I have a number of concerns but it's getting very late. I'll try to find some time tomorrow. Thanks.

"Everything should be as simple as possible and not simpler." Albert Einstein

"Is he allowed to do that?"
"I think that comes under the rule of Quia Ego Sic Dico."
"Yes, what does that mean?"
"'Because I say so', I think."
"That doesn't sound like much of a rule!"
"Actually, it's the only one he needs." (Making Money by Terry Pratchett)
Smith in Exile

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 April 2006, 15:08:00 »

Hey, don't discourage the man lol, let him try :)  

Miraran Tehuriden

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 11 April 2006, 15:33:00 »

I'm a big biology fan and, well, i'm good at practical ecology... the current herbarium& beastiary entries are a hodgepodge mixture, so i thought that if i realy wanted to build something intricate, and consistent, like a real ecosystem, i'd have to start from a clean slate. Of course, it won't be finished this week.. or this year, but hey, it keeps me off the streets.

By redrawing the coastline i mean i want to have an important part of the forest to be afloat.. without land beneath it. so i either have to take the map, and make the coastline recede beneeth one of the forrests, or expand the forrest without draggin the coastline along, since as it is, there are no forests resting on water.

And trust me.. you will have all the exotics you want..

-Words to Worlds-

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 11 April 2006, 15:33:00 »

Don't make them too exclusively! In the far future I need some for Aeruillin, for there will be a strange forest . If I could build on some trees already invented, that would be great! Mangroves (?) grow all over the world, if the climate is ok.

***Astropic of the day***
"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Miraran Tehuriden

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 11 April 2006, 15:36:00 »

Talia
I meanth exclusive to this particular type of environment :)   One Aeruillin develops mangrove-like forrests, we can expand territory sections on those species that would be able to travel that far.

-Words to Worlds-

Edited by: Miraran Tehuriden at: 4/10/06 23:45

Avrah Kehabhra

Smith in Exile

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 April 2006, 15:41:00 »

Well, you don't need to redraw the coastline for that. You could cut off a piece of the larger map and add more details into it, but hmmm... that's harder than it might seem, you know...

Anyway, if Coren has issues :confused  with the area around Moredein Julsten or the Inner Sea, you can try Moredein Kaerath. Both of them have forests extending to the shores, plus Kaerath also has some islands around.

Coren FrozenZephyr

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11 April 2006, 23:36:00 »

Please please please people consult me before making any definite territorial suggestions concerning western Nybelmar... I'm trying to define the overall concept for the west but that is extremely difficult if everytime I turn around something totally different to what I had in mind creeps up... Could I - selfishly - ask that when there is anything regarding western nybelmar in the future, can somebody IM me on the boards?

That being said: I actually DO like the idea! And it is always very pleasing to see someone take the reign in hand and accept responsibility for a region within (western :P) Nybelmar. I am very glad you are interested and plan to stay Miraran!

Just give me some time to think this through... I promise to come up with a place for your forest.

Cheers!

Smith in Exile

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12 April 2006, 08:36:00 »

He needs elves. Elves are mostly concentrated in the eastern forests with no access to the shores. In the north-west we have only Sartera. Julsten and Inner Sea means that we can stay true to this concept. Kaerath is a far-off, less explored place - we can put some Sarteran off-shoot or Sarteran themselves there. I personally prefer the Inner Sea version, and since he's beginning with land descriptions I would also favor a more recent timeline position. The Inner Sea version would also mean a more Nybelmarian specific version of Merfolk, and a nice addition to the Inner Sea's specific itself.

Mina
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12 April 2006, 08:44:00 »

Take a look here and see if the Ale'lon forest, perhaps with some modification, might be suitable.  First thing that came to mind when you mentioned 'mangrove' and 'elves' together.  Of course, that's not exactly in Nybelmar...

From the entry:
Quote:
To the northwest, where the sea elves of the Alé'lón (Styrásh Alé'lón: "Singing Wood";)   have their primary domain, one can find their wonderful forest/sea dwellings along the Efferin river, a magnificent view indeed as the elves of the Alé'lón are said to be the most versed tribe all over Caelereth regarding the construction of gigantic wooden structures in the sea and over the arms of the Efferin.

By the way, if anyone is interested in developing this, additional information may be found here.  

Edited by: Mina Aylwin at: 4/11/06 16:50

Coren FrozenZephyr

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12 April 2006, 09:11:00 »

I don't agree. I can't see why elves specifically are needed. I think a human tribe can just as well as a trading partner and gives us more diversity in interactions. They can be tailored more easily to suit whatever Miraran requires.

More so, I already have a concept worked the Sartheran elves. For the Sarthera I only need that mountain range east of the Inner Sea, Miraran can have the plains and the forest to the northeast. I also reserve that emboridery-like coastline above the Julsten plain. Everything else in that region is available more or less. And I also like the idea of havin a Nybelmarian variation of merfolk - maybe they migrated to the Inner Sea from that river flowing into it from the west above Naezshan (Desert) Kaerath?

After that is worked out, can I also have a very special mangrove forest in the southernmost peninsula Miraran? I will provide more details for that when you are available, is that okay?

My greatest concern is making the north - or even the middle part of the continent too tropic, humid or hot. If it's typically tropical that far in the north how are my Krathrians able to live in those southern jungles!? But of course we can have a patchwork of climatic patterns instead of a North-to-South one, which could be explained by several "void phenomena" :lol

What do you say Miraran? Would you prefer the Inner Sea or Moredein (Plains of) Kaerath? Unlike Smith, I personally would much rather see your concept in Kaerath btw.

But please do not give up on the idea AND DON'T LET MINA STEAL A VALUABLE AND MUCH NEEDED CONTRIBUTOR FROM OUR BELOVED NYBELMAR SO NEEDY OF RESOURCES!

:: shoves Mina away before he is turned into a monster-rabit :: Now off with you...

Miraran Tehuriden

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #13 on: 12 April 2006, 09:42:00 »

@Coren
I'll just be patient then...and keep the pre-designing going.. images and ecological opportunities are just piling in :)

@Smith
Having the Mer available would be fun, and add a lot of 'usefulness' to the submerged flora and fauna i'll be designing. Also, the Elves would, be my preference, be.. odd, shutting the outside world out as much as they can, prefering to limit their contacts to trading with the Mer below, and the 'Others' outside of the forest.

@Mina
Interresting, but not quite what i had in mind. The elves have adifferent mindset, and the image of the forrest described is not even close to what i want to create.

@Coren, again
( i had a realy long piece written here, but it got lost.. il make it brief now)
Location; Kaerath, it actualy has a forest, and acces to the sea, meaning more seacreatures, and an easier way for the Nybelmer to get in and out. I won't realy need the plains though, the northwestern forest will do just fine.
Elves; Offshoot of the Sartheran elves. Allows me to make them think the way i want, and to be secretive and mysterious to the extreme, as far as the outside world is concerned. Also allows for more adaptation to their surroundings.
I'm not going anywhere with this Coren.. Nybelmar is the perfect place for this idea.. and of course, your 'special' mangrove forest is open for discussion.

-Words to Worlds-

Avrah Kehabhra

Coren FrozenZephyr

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 12 April 2006, 10:38:00 »

Sounds fine. But the same question again: Why do you need 'elves'? A human tribe can be as secretive... We can also modify them to dwell in the forest in a more mysterious mode of living than the typical 'house'.

Whatever you decide, I need to hear reasons first :p  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]