Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: The Duchies and Fiefs of Manthria  (Read 12091 times)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« on: 01 April 2004, 12:14:00 »

Here's Judy's concept for the Duchies and Fiefs of the province of Manthria... Will comment later, as football is on TV, but you can already take a look in the meantime and perhaps comment:)

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 01 April 2004, 18:07:00 »

Ar-TIM-i-dor!  You turned down a chance to comment for... (shocked inhalation of breath) FOOTBALL?  :jawdrop :speechless

I'll try not to hold it against you ;)  ...

Anyhow, here's a preliminary outline of the possible contemporary rulers, their titles and names.  Comment and critique is appreciated, and if other Areamasters could give a similar outline for their areas (Talia - what about down south?  You have all kinds of cool concepts but most are still in your head - come on, share! 8)  ) that would be great.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
MANTHRIA – Thane Swanhild, ruling from Marcogg
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Duchy of Marcogg - Duke Swanhild - The largest and arguably wealthiest of the Duchies, it stretches from Grensa Post in the north to the western coast and down to the Mashdai river, including the city of Marcogg and the great range of the Mithral Mountains.  Duke Swanhild, a taciturn urbanite, relies a great deal upon his subholders and Graves to provide information and keep the trade routes open.

Duchy of Twynor - Duke Jhondath Meyhan -  "In this illustration Duke Jhondath is sitting in session to hear some local disputes between farmers as to where the boundary lines of their fields are... behind him we see construction proceeding on the new town hall....” (Faugar's #4).  He is simply dressed, as is his wont, and spends a great deal of social as well as administrative time with his Graves and smaller landholders, taking his duties regarding the fertile farmlands of Twynor quite seriously.

Duchy of Tolonia - Duchess Sarissa Truefaith - A lean woman of about forty-five, Duchess Sarissa has never wed, and is said to be a devotee of the goddess Ava.  Her lands are on the western coast, overlooking the Gulf of Maraya.  She holds the small and rather bleak Heath of Tolonia without Grave assistance; rather, her few barons report directly to her regarding clay mining and brick production, the duchy’s main source of income.

Duchy of Caeytharia - Duke Harald Gryndiffyr - Duke Harald is a wealthy man and favors silvery silks which set off his extensive collection of pearl jewelry rather well.  If they seem incongruous on his two-ped tall, burly frame, you are welcome to chuckle; the Duke has an easy laugh and self-deprecating humour that belies the tight grip he has over his prosperous duchy. He is a direct descendent of the early Avennorians who first developed the pearl farms and fisheries along the coast near Ciosa.  

Duchy of Huiscen - Duchess Alana Rittmark         - Huiscen’s grassy plains and grazing lands are well-watched by Duchess Alana, a strongly-built blonde woman who spends most of her time a-horse.  The Rittmark family is new to the nobility, as many a sly court lady of Santhala has noted, but it cannot be gainsaid that Huiscen prospers under her earthy guidance.

Duchy of Margulf - Duke Pelenni Margulf - This duchy was given to the Margulf family for some great deed of assistance to the Crown in the past and has been held by them since time out of mind ever since.  The salt-washed strip of coast along the Gulf of Maraya, hemmed in by the Auturian Woods, holds little attraction for Duke Pelenni, an urbane socialite who spends most of his time in the capital.  He has been heard to jest, not without some bitterness, that the duchy of Margulf is a family curse, rather than an inheritance.

Auturian Stý'cál - The Auturian Woods - The Elven Wood demesnes are not subject to human rule.  

BRENDOLAN – Thana Merilee Shendsong, “Archbard Shendsong”, ruling from Bardavos - The Thana holds the highest artistic title that can be granted by the Bardic Academy.  Often this is a courtesy designation, but in Shendsong’s case it comes very close to truth.

-----------------------------------------------
ENTHRONIA – Thana Rett Grondesheim, ruling from ***

----------------------------------------------------------
NERMERAN – Marshal Kaldwyn Drenn III, “Governor Drenn”, ruling from *** - Military officer of the highest rank and ruler in person. The northernmost border is of major militaristic importance and therefore under the guidance of a militaristic governor.

--------------------------------------------------------       
SANGUIA – Thane Adan Vel Narwis, “Steward of Sanguia”  -The right hand of the Santhran. The Santhran has of course great influence here but most governmental issues are dealt with by the steward.

-------------------------------------------------------------
TRUBAN – Thane Elando Va, “Va Tristin” - The ruler of the southernmost province.His or her title is derived from Drafas Tristin, the founder of Strata.

---------------------------------------------------
VARDÝNN – Thane Manc Selmidor

Milkengrad         - Anactar Bren Wyvernbane       
Duchy of ** - Duke
Duchy of ** - Duchess Elena da Enesti               

------------------------------------------------------------
XARAMON – Xeuátan Henethor Estariol, “Archmage of Ximax”  - The highest ranked Xeuá Archmage of Ximax.
Leads the Ximaxian Academy and the Archmages’ Council.

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 02 April 2004, 14:37:00 »

:lol  Well, the Austrians played pretty miserably yesterday anyway... ;)

Will get to more detailed detailed comments later, only want to point out for now Manthrian related dwarven things we should take care of soon, which I already mentioned in my last mail:

- The Mitharim Coat of Arms, which is also of importance in the Manthrian context. We've talked about the Coat of Arms, or more precisely, the Orestamp also already a while ago. Here's Quellion's pure version of the sign:

This he also put on the Avennorian ship of Brok. If we could nail it down on how the orestamp looks like precisely, then we can get another important aspect of this culture done. Along with a dwarf picture, we could brush up the Mitharim entry with some more graphics:)

- The Anvil/Tower sign at Quellion's picture. In the same respect we should think about details on this sign on the shield you'd like to use for the Mitharim. The Mitharim sign could be the Anvil in general. Maybe this sign could be the sign of the town of Kor Mithrid, then we should think about some sort of tower outside of the mines of Kor Mithrid perhaps.

---

In general I think that with such a map will look very fine if we apply some sort of background like the one Talia used for her Baveras Shrine sketches. She has provided me with a bunch of scanned background pictures to choose from, so I'm sure we could find a decent one to make the final map look pretty cool... So give me some time to look through the material you have accumulated here, then I'll get back to you;)  

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Mina
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 April 2004, 15:58:00 »

I think there can only be a total of 6 archmagi at any one time, one for each school/element.  

Also, I'd like to know if it is always the Archmage of Xeuá that leads the Ximax, or whether that position can be held by any of the other archmagi too.  I personally feel that the second possibility makes more sense (though I think the archmage will probably almost always be from the Xeuá or Ecuá schools, since they are, apparently, held in higher regard by those who follow the Ximaxian magic system).  

There is no emotion; there is peace.
There is no ignorance; there is knowledge.
There is no passion; there is serenity.
There is no death; there is the Force.

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 02 April 2004, 16:36:00 »

Uhmm, yeah, Judith, you are so right - after the holidays! Right now I'm a bit stressed with the pre-holiday-preparations.
I like the name you gave the ruler of Brendolan! Va is a bit short though..
Maybe I'm just too tired..

Hmm, maybe you leave the names for MIlkengrad to Curgan, he has his own head how the names should sound...

***Astropic of the day***
"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

Edited by: Talia Sturmwind  at: 4/1/04 23:39

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Fluffy Ramblers

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 April 2004, 10:58:00 »

Some things from my Underground entry to integrate:

1) Are the little areas lands of the gravens? If so, we need to split Fief Tyrsan into two parts. Southern one would be Kolbruk, as I made its owner a hillgraven. :)

2) Fief Mashdai I propose to give to the Heth family then.

P.S. The Marcogg area seems way too big for a city for me. Maybe you should call it "Marcogg and surroundings".

-----
Squee! Narf! For the Cheese!
The ratty story

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 03 April 2004, 11:59:00 »

Thanks, Fluffy, exactly the kind of feedback I need.

I haven't assigned the names for the Graves yet, so knowing who you have in mind for certain areas is just perfect.  And this thread is the place to collect them!  I'll divide Tyrsan on the next version of the map.

Talia, thanks - I will check with Curgan.  This is a PRELIMINARY list to get exactly this type of discussion and input going!  (Can you have a look at the Papermaking entry under Miscellanous, by the way?  I need some help from you and Wren there!  )

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 04 April 2004, 16:18:00 »

Okeydokey, here I am as well with some comments...

First @Mina: Well, sure I guess the position could be held by other mages except the Xeuatán. Though it could as well be some sort of unwritten tradition that the Xeuatán takes over. Depends maybe on the time we're in. At times of war Fire Mages would be more likely to lead Ximax, etc. However, I guess we have to leave these details now. I saw various attempts to try to get something done in Ximax concerning spells, formulas, magic schools, tower design etc. - fact is, we didn't get anything completed at all here. So if I don't look into these things personally we get nothing done, and that's pretty sad. So all I can say here: Problem understood, but I personally don't have time for detailed Ximaxian decisions at the moment. I repeat myself, but that's how I see it. Manthria first, here we have some dedicated contributers.

@Judy: Ok, so back to Manthria. Nice concept with the map:)  I think our ultimate goal should be the entry on the Province of Manthria, which should contain this map plus the descriptions/border details of the Duchies and the names of the current Dukes/Duchesses, just as you mentioned them already. Though not everywhere in these paragraphs borders etc. are described in detail yet. So we'll need some general info for Overview, Trading, Climate details etc. I guess this can be pretty general then (details are contained in the single entries anyway), so not necessary to explain everything until the last detail. So this would be the long-term project we should keep in the back of our heads.

Some more detailed comments on the map. BTW: When I go through the single Duchies and think on why things are this and that, then it is really good to see to get this regional foundation - makes a lot of sense...

But here are the detailed comments:

- Names are quite fine in general, all fine here. Our UFOs (United Women of Santharia) also get several women in important positions, that's also quite nice, as to have this equality established here at governmental levels fits the idea of the Dream in general:)

- Final decision was to use the word "Gravens" instead of "Graves" to avoid some possible necrophilic connotations, so make sure to use this version.

- Margulf seems a bit small for a Duchy, especially as it isn't split any further. Maybe at least a small part of it could be given to the elven Stycál - I assume the elves always had direct access to the sea, at least in an outpost/port. Splitting the Duchy in 2-3 smaller fiefs also would be a good idea, I guess.

- Tolonia: Don't mind that we have Barons instead of the Gravens here, good to have the variety here. Due to the heath lands this is quite ok. Maybe place a stronghold here and there to mark the barons (at least the most important ones)?

However, Duchess Sarissa Truefaith being a devotee to the Goddess Avá sounds very unlikely, no? Avá is an elven Goddess only, you know...

- Caeytharia: Good idea here, stresses the Avennorian origins and that wealth had a major importance back then.

- Twynor: Any special meaning for "Fief Aut'aye"? If this is the most fertile land, I'd also suggest to split the Twynor Holdings in 2 more fiefs.

- Huiscen: Would also split Grass Steadings in ca. 3, cause the areas are still pretty huge methinks.

- Marcogg: Ok, the main thing we also need to decide here is if the Thane of Manthria is a different person from the Duke of Marcogg. I guess this could be very well one person. The other question is if there should be perhaps someone acting as Mayor of Marcogg itself, perhaps this is nominally the Thane, but he/she then usually selects someone for this position. And if so, what title do we give the town's mayor? Or how would you approach this issue? Any proposals?

Mina
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 April 2004, 22:01:00 »

Yeah, it seems no one is interested in Ximax anymore.  *sighs*

There is no emotion; there is peace.
There is no ignorance; there is knowledge.
There is no passion; there is serenity.
There is no death; there is the Force.

Grunok the Exile
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 19

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 27 November 2006, 13:19:27 »

Hey guys, what is the status of this thread?  I am starting work on Keep Mistrash and I would like to get it right with regard to this kind of thing.  I will get something up and obviously it can be commented on with respect to this, but I'd like to see this up on the site - it is some really valuable stuff, imho. :)

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #10 on: 27 November 2006, 15:04:58 »

I'm not sure, if we can finish it without having the history pinned down a bit better. But if there are changes - maybe your entry has to be tweaked then a bit later or history tries to incorporate what you have written.

Where is this Keep Mistrash?
« Last Edit: 27 November 2006, 15:08:01 by Talia Sturmwind » Logged

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
Grunok the Exile
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 19

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #11 on: 27 November 2006, 17:35:32 »

Keep Mistrash is a fortified castle, positioned low on the western slopes of the Mithral Mountains in Manthria. 
  ^ Sneak preview! ^

It's about two-thirds of the way down, on the left of the range.  I had Quellion's "#103 - Fortress" picture in mind to use for it.  So far I have a page or so on it, so I'll probably have something to post by the end of tomorrow (in 24hrs time) as I'm home sick at the moment.

I should get sick more often: it seems to be the only time I get to work on Santharia! :p

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #12 on: 27 November 2006, 18:05:25 »

What about working on Santharia to prevent getting sick?

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #13 on: 28 November 2006, 06:39:25 »

Yes, Grunok, we should get this map up on the site!  thumbup

I definitely would like to have this officially available once and for all, as it is really of importance for the Manthrian province, because so much development takes places here. The map just needs to be Photoshopped properly and show the original map through a transparent layer, but mention the key towns and such along with the duchies and fiefs.

Thanks for the pointer - this is planned now to get done at my Christimas vacation! pet

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #14 on: 28 November 2006, 07:26:05 »

I could do this - in the Christmas holidays, or even before. Shouldn't be too much work.

Shall I ??

« Last Edit: 29 November 2006, 20:24:37 by Talia Sturmwind » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]