Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: The Duchies and Fiefs of Manthria  (Read 12102 times)
Mirmec Rethindor

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 29 November 2006, 10:48:25 »

last looked to be a nice map, and as fate had it one of the few artworks i have looked at after i found this site to day was Quellion's folder.

its still not clear to me the level of depth folk are going into to describe places and what not. but i think it very important in your page entry as you call it to explain the name of the Road the fortress guards and why that particular road/pass is important, cause as you know trade defines a region.

also as most folk know territorial areas are defined by social/cultural as well as geographical waypoints.

anyway, is there a system whereby if you clicked on a players name you can see access to all pieces (artwork, music, writing) that they have added to the Santharian project? cause you could use that as a self referencing tool to allow yourselves to have an internal organizaion of projects you work on. you probably already have some verison of this?? i'm just a complete newb right now so am not sure how to navigate the site yet very well...

~~Voice of music's heart wrung from the wood.~~
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #16 on: 29 November 2006, 20:21:42 »

Yes, you can do this. Go to the main site (if you have just the forum displayed like I have now, then you will see to the left top side these icons - swap menu - and there is the chain. Click, and you have all members listed and access to the teampage.

Then we have on the board the shedule forum where everyone posts his future plans and what others should not touch before asking. But this is quite a lot and so it is better to ask before someone starts with a submission. If you are abit around, you will know people and what they are doing. So we have a Aeruillin queen (Artemis), which is a bit busy currently, so I'm the one to address. As my title says, I'm the "Lady of the South", so don't do anything with my baby, the southern desert , the Ráhaz-Dáth  before asking me... it might collide with the ideas in my head - but otherwise, I welcome sensible writers to help me out! :D
So, everymain developer has preferences, you can find out more about them in the mentor's list.

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Mirmec Rethindor

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 02 December 2006, 15:33:28 »

yes i was so new i did not understand how it all works. i'm getting the hang of it now. i just discovered the "replies" to posts made option on the sign in, so i'm working my way down that right now.

so far all i know about Landre is he was born in northern Zhun on Nybelmar (part of the reason why Landre has come to the Royal Library here in Santharia is to learn clues about that place) and he was raised by Gorbas servants in the Southern side of the mountains south of Orcal, northwest of "the Great Gate" area.

the maps are very nice but i'm having a hard time reading some of the mountain range names, and so what is the name of the mountains that separated Krath and Orcal, if you have that name handy?? if not i'll run across it eventually. i cut and pasted some basic notes about Landre's background, i think it may be in this excerpt:

"Nybelmarasa, as the only region not caged in by mountain ranges, served as Krath’s portal to foreign lands, hence the epithet “The Grand Gate”. There is also a less romantic story for how the expression came about: When the Empire expanded towards the north from Zhun, Nybelmarasa became the “Gate” through which the Krathamar expelled the tribal black orcs and human nomads to arid wastelands of Orcal and Vaenath respectively. The open plains were the ideal place to station and manoeuvre the Empire’s gargantuan army. Hundreds of outposts dotted Krath’s new borders, protecting them not only from Orcristh attacks in the west but the reckless assaults of Chyrakisth warbands and barbarian raids to the east; mighty citadels watched over his hidden treasures."

so it may be Nybelmarasa or very close to there

well i cant find it exactly though. it had to do with a description of the area south of Orcal and a map associated with it. anyway the more i read the more i will understand.

its a shame we dont have a master map, and on that map would be dots with the place names and authors, like this format Landre/Great Gate on Continent of Nybelmar for example, on the continent of the respective area they are working on. in this way we would have a visual and easily accessible way to see who is working on what region, so we could confer with them without scrolling through all the development lists. i know we already have some excellent maps of the known continents etc.. so it doesnt take much to make such an overlay on that. plus and this iis very very far ahead, but if you had absolute coordinates, you could plug them into animation programs later to show "the spread" or migration of peoples and cultures.

i know thats what the compedium is for, but for those newer, they may not realize that for example that Kimbar is northeast up the coast from Cusca on the southern coast of Nybelmar.

another way you could cross reference it is if you made an overlay grid of all of Santharian dream, and then gave coordinates in parentheses, for each entry/author submission. again an easy way to see how all the pieces fit together, and who is working on what.

anyway, i know who has the time for all that?? but these are tools which would greatly help clear confusions up or make clearer certain people's "turf" so to speak.

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #18 on: 02 December 2006, 17:54:07 »

Landre, there are not this many developers that it would rectify the work to put the authors name on it. And that may even change! You can see it partly form the mentors list who is interested in which regions. But I will do a list for you, so you can see it easily.

As I see, you are looking into your own history - are you thinking to do a persons entry of your character (well, that is not needed immediately and time enough once you are a member and we can be sure you will stick a bit longer  - I did mine only this year) OR do you want to do a char for the RPG? Then you should post this on the RPG-forum.

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
Mirmec Rethindor

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 03 December 2006, 09:56:58 »

no just trying to flesh out Landre's character. i have found a good way to learn stories and they place names is to come up with simple plots and then explore all the details needed in the plot.

It has to do with the Theory of Names which i certainly don't want to bore anyone with. But basically until you know where a person is from, or the location of an item, there is no relation to the larger world around it. I will probably not rpg, i'm just using Santharian writing to fill in the time between my travian turns  grin

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #20 on: 03 December 2006, 13:46:26 »

Ahah!   Travian, eh?  Well, if you appreciate the ferocious Gauls, the quaffing of magic potions and gobbling of wild boars that occur in Goz & Ud's version of that historical timespan, perhaps we can lure you away from Travite-temptation by offering you many more barbarian tribes to develop, a wide variety of potions to quaff, and a veritable - um - Bestiary -  of wild beasts to hunt down, spit, roast, and devour!

We cannot let Landre the Literate languish in Outer Hibernia when the Duchies of Manthria would welcome him so generously...

:)

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Mirmec Rethindor

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 04 December 2006, 14:45:38 »

What a nice compliment, Bard Judith. Honestly Talia is right i have got lazy not using capitals at the beginning of sentences. Travian version three is so slow and boring i really miss version two these days, so i may have to move on from there. i'm just down to having about twenty towns now to check on every day, a few months ago i had sixty in about seven servers  :D

Also is there not a button i can press that gets rid of the sidebar? i think alot of my typos are happening when my words go off the rightt hand side of the screen?

I'm not really sure about all this, i'm somewhat torn about participating in the Santharian Dream as the concept of a world as a dream, was in stories i wrote many years ago, and i certainly don't want to confuse my ideas and philosophies with Santharian errata. Still this is one of the best sites i have seen for idea development. part of the reason why I quit writing the cycle of "stories' i had is for the very complexity of the self-reference, cross checking details of the world which i had created, and it was too large for one person to try and keep track. Anyway i'm a great starter but not a great finisher, so i have more plot outlines, and ideas etc.. that really will never be finished. So here it would be fun to actually parse it out and work on an entry here and an entry there for you folk. Plus my "stories" as i call them it turns out aren't like true stories, they are more visual recountings of actions not like a bestseller you would buy at a newstand. So i want to take this new project slow and just enjoy all the stories and the reading materials before i ever try an entry so i can make sure i keep the areas separated in what i write here in the Santharian Dream.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #22 on: 04 December 2006, 15:58:26 »

Sidebars(s): Click on the claws on the top of the Forum to make them appear or disappear.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Mirmec Rethindor

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 05 December 2006, 02:31:55 »

hmmmm must be my interface. the bottom claws will switch between the two menus. but the top claws that flank the Site menu word do nothing.

unless that is not the claws you are talking about?

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #24 on: 05 December 2006, 02:51:28 »

Bottom claws? There's only one claw on the top right of the Forum and one on the top left. Don't know what you mean with "bottom". These claws operate the menus (the bird thing below is just for decoration). Anyway, if you found the claws that make the side menus disappear, you've found the right ones.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Grunok the Exile
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 19

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #25 on: 02 January 2009, 13:42:54 »

Hi all.  Any progress on making this official and getting it up on site?

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #26 on: 02 January 2009, 17:32:50 »

I just had a look at this after a long time and it occurred to me, that Ravenport has no influence on this map at all. Should it not have an own duchy? Maybe the Tolonian Heath would fit, but it sits at the border of the both western fiefs, so this might not fit. Could there be such a thing as a "Free town", which doesn't belong to any fief, duchy? I think it is as important as Marcogg
« Last Edit: 02 January 2009, 17:35:12 by Talia Sturmwind » Logged

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #27 on: 02 January 2009, 17:39:12 »

@Grun: You mean the map? That's actually on site already, see the Manthrian map, fourth toolbar button.

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #28 on: 02 January 2009, 18:21:46 »

Thank you for ignoring me, Art.  evil

Grunok the Exile
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 19

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #29 on: 02 January 2009, 18:50:29 »

@Art:  Oh good!  Very useful!  

@Talia:  I don't think it necessarliy needs to have a seperate duchy.  We haven't said yet when these boundaries were drawn, although I would imagine it was very early in the history of Santharia, at the time when the provinces were drawn.  I think this was during Santhros' reign, but I'm not sure.  As Ravenport is not yet written, we can just say that Ravenport was not a big city when these boundaries are drawn.  

If it was already a big city, then it still doesn't need its own administrative area; Ravenport could just be the biggest city in the Duchy of Margulf, and probably the seat of the Duke.  

Either way, Ravenport's attitudes to not having its own administrative area could be an interesting section in a corresponding person or place entry!

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]