Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Discussing Santharian Resources  (Read 9701 times)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« on: 27 June 2004, 01:58:00 »

Ok, this is the thread where all discussions concerning Santharian Resources should be placed. Feel free to talk about resources in general here, or announce what you have collected by searching through the site. I will then move it all into the main thread to complete the list.

As a first step I've added all typically Caelerethian minerals Judy has set up already quite a while ago to our list and added at least the names of a few other common minerals, which would still need a little description though.

Maybe we could define some sort of scheme for these shor descriptions, so that we see on the first glance e.g. how precious these minerals are compared to each other, how difficult they are to get or for what they are primarily used or something. Anyone got any ideas in this respect perhaps?

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

Edited by: Artimidor Federkiel at: 6/26/04 10:39

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 27 June 2004, 05:13:00 »

"Burning Stones" are ordinary looking stones with magical properties, found only in the vicinity of volcanos. When hit strongly enough they release heat, depending on size, type of the stone and the force it was hit with. They are useful for travellers, especially in regions were other burning material is rare. (From the entry)

They can only be collected, if the volcanos are active (like the Norong'Sorno), at non avtive volcanos like maybe Argor and Heckra none can be found anymore, because they are either already collected, or the vegetation has overgrown them.

Maybe we should add "active" to the description above.

So at every active  volcano these stones can be found, if they are really collected depends on the people living there, the environement. Though  the volcanos in the Celeste Mountains are dormant, there could still be found some, if nobody wants to go in this unhealthy region...

and so on

***Astropic of the day***
"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 27 June 2004, 06:04:00 »

Ok, I've added the Burning Stones to our resources list. I've added this sentence:

"If the volcanos are still active, the burning stones can be found in abundancy, at dormant volcanos they still can be retrieved, though they are more rare and have less magical power."

Hope that sounds fine:)

I see the only still active volcano in Santharia seems to be the Norong'Sorno, so this will definitely be the best place to find extremely powerful burning stones.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Erutan Argon
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 June 2004, 11:41:00 »

I would like to know if anybody knows the resources of northern Rimmerins Ring (the whole range above New-Santhala). Basically whats surrounding Thaehelvil River and some of the major resources in the mountain caves. If not, then I'll develope the Rimmerins Ring desc from scratch. Thanks..

Edited by: Erutan Argon  at: 6/26/04 20:06
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 27 June 2004, 21:29:00 »

Thanks for starting that list, Art - I had no idea we were still missing descriptions of some of our most basic metals! :o   If it's ok with you, I'd like to write a paragraph for each of them to be added to the list.  We really should have iron, copper, tin and silver, shouldn't we?

I assume you'll also want things like

sulphur
quicksilver (mercury's old name)
alum

and other chemicals which occur as deposits and can be mined?  I'll try to find some sort of list which would be appropriate for medieval/renaissance technology and nomenclature and post it here.

Regards from the up-too-late-again-bard, :x
Judith  

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 28 June 2004, 01:17:00 »

Yeah, having the basic minerals described in short would be very valuable, yup:)  I'd also go for ancient names like quicksilver and the like, this adds to the atmosophere we want to create here, e.g. sulphur could also have a more common name - even 2 or 3 different names at minerals would be possible and realistic.

I remember we also have the crystals roughly defined at the Thergerim Calendar, so I'll need to add them as well.

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 28 June 2004, 04:28:00 »

*arghhh*

Just wanted to say, that we have to add the jewels/gems...

Aren't other things resources as well? Wood, water, special plants? Is not a forest full of dears you can hunt a resources, the deer a resouce? Everything which is present somewhere in abundace, which other parts of the country don't have? So water is for Strata a resource of quite an importance, where it doesn#t mater elsewhere??

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 28 June 2004, 05:43:00 »

Well, sure. There are various different types of resources you can list here. E.g. lumber is also a resource we shouldn't forget. So maybe we should try to put them in catgories. However, if we treat every plant and beast as a resource we won't get very far.

So maybe we should work on this step by step - and focus on the treasures of the soil ("Bodenschätze" in German) first, defining minerals and crystals and the like and maybe mineral springs used for healing (uhmm... do we have oil  in Santharia?). This would be enough to be able to define a rough resources map and perhaps make a Flash movie out of it where you can decide what you want to see for easy reference. This basic map could still be expanded further according to our needs - but trying to realize all at once would be a bit much methinks.

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 04 July 2004, 21:31:00 »

Hope this is a useful addition!

:read   Note:  In terms of making a scheme for these entries, Art, I would prefer NOT to have it too clearly defined.  If you recall our discussion about chemistry/alchemy you'll understand why; some of these aspects are unknown, others are misunderstood (at least by twenty-first century Terran standards!) and still others are inimicable to our mystical, magical Dream.

I'd suggest that there be some minimum standards rather than a rigid scheme as we have applied to plants and animals - for one, it needs to be flexible initially so that we can decide WHERE some of these resources would logically be located before we set them in stone.  

So, here's a sample Resource Entry Template: :p  

Name of Resource (Alternate Name, Nickname, Non-Tharian Name...) -  appearance of substance (metal, rock, vapour, wood, etc.), where and how it is found, how processed, and what it is used for. Beliefs, superstitions, and other interesting details may be added at the end of the entry.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

NB:  The categories are given as they would be perceived in the medieval world of Caelereth, so that even though sodium is technically a Metal, being ‘unworkable’ as the noble metals are, it falls into the more diffuse category of Elements.   Also note that where the initial name is not familiar, the Terran chemical name is the last in the list of alternate names in the following brackets.

METALS

Gold – (already written)
Mithril – (already written)
Herne – (already written)

Brass-

Bronze-

Copper – (Sunflesh, Cupru,  Injera’s Bones)   A soft, reddish-gold material which can be smelted easily, worked readily and remains flexible.  It is found as a black ore with blue-green discoloured nodules throughout.  When processed, it takes on its attractive sunny shine, but will eventually tarnish back to that same blue-green colour unless polished regularly.   Heat travels very quickly through it, and for this reason it can be used to cover the bottoms of good-quality cooking pots.  Exclusively copper kettles are used by candymakers and by nobles’ chefs, as they claim it does not flavour the food as iron pots do.    Copper is essential in producing brass and bronze (see above)

Lead –

Tin -

Manganese – Occurring naturally in large, six-sided nodules, this is a dull grayish-white metal which can be worked like iron, but is very brittle and thus not suitable for weaponry or armour.  Also the dust produced in working it has been demonstrated by the Thergerim to be unhealthy for the smith.  In Sarvonia it is generally utilized in glass-working, added in small amounts to give a beautiful purple color to the glass.  

Iron (Haeme, Ferrum, Red Iron, Blue Iron, Black Iron) – Often found as a black sand, or as a rusty-red rock, iron is one of the most common and useful metals in Caelereth.  It is used for most metallic applications, from armour to plows,  cauldrons to nails,  hearth tools to sculptures.  Its only liability is that it tends to corrode when exposed to air and water, its surface breaking down into a reddish powder usually called rust.  This process can be slowed or even halted, some Santharian smiths claim, by adding vernik (see below) in the correct amounts to create a new alloy which they call ‘steel’.  Black, blue, and red iron are all forge-wrought variations on iron ore to produce different colours and levels of hardness/brittleness.  Black is the hardest but also the most brittle, while red iron dents easily but rarely snaps.  ‘Regular’, or ordinary grey iron, stands between blue and red.  Depending on the utility, or sometimes simple aesthetics, the Thergerim smith will choose which colour variant he desires by using different types of chemically-treated charcoal (available from the Gnome alchymists), various sorts of quenching liquids (again, often in collaboration with Gnomes merchants), and possibly trace amounts of other metals.  

Udzerene (Cobalt)  An unremarkable ore resembling iron, but harder and brittler.  Smiths are experimenting with mixtures of udzerene and ferrum to produce a stronger alloy, but so far have not been successful in producing a consistent result.  Mainly found in the lower regions of the Sarvonian continent, from Strata up to Antiragon, it is believed to be responsible for the intense blue of the famous Udzera pottery glaze.  In fact, scholars still debate whether the town took its name from the mineral, or vice-versa.  

Vernik  (Nickel) – A silvery-white metal which is used mostly in mixtures and alloys.  Heat travels well through it, and it is easily worked and forged.  When added to iron, it is supposed to slow down or even eliminate the corrosion of rust.  Added to glass, it produces a pleasant greenish shade.  

Zinc -

ELEMENTS

Alum -

Quicksilver (Tears of Etherus, Mercury) -

Brimstone (Dragon’s Sweat, Injeradust, Sulphur) – This pale-yellow, brittle substance is commonly found in the area around volcanoes and hot springs, such as the Norno.   Its characteristic odor is even more pronounced when burnt; it gives off a vapour similar to that which arises from some swamp areas or from eyren (eggs) that have been overboiled. It can be used in small amounts to cure dried fruits.

Lime (Calx, Quicklime, Calcium) – A very useful white substance obtained by heating limestone, then carefully adding water (this procedure is one of the few familiar to more people than the Alchemists’ Guild, so we reveal no secrets here…)  Its most common use is doubtless in the construction of various mortars, and, of course, calxement (Santharian cement).  A side note:  Some alchemists believe that our very bones are composed of calxement, claiming that they have performed tests which demonstrate the similarity of the materials, but of course this is ludicrous – how would it be possible for us to swim or float in that case?  Perhaps the dwarven race might have some comment here, however…

Potash (Soilspawn, Potassium)  - A lightweight, soft, blackish substance which can be cut readily with a dagger, and shows silver when first cut, potash should not be brought near water as it will either decompose or combust.  If submerged in a plant or animal oil, however, it can be preserved with stability.   It seems to be found more readily in areas where water has been, as where lakes have vanished or rivers have changed course, and rarely occurs where plants do not grow well.

Aquaragia (Oil of Pine, Turpentine) -

Pitch (Blackcaulk, Tar) -

Oil -

Coal (Khol, Burning Rocks, Firestone) - not to be confused with the magical 'Burning Stones' of the Nong'Sorno region, this black, crumbling substance, though it appears to have already been burned, will ignite readily and continue for a long time with a steady flame.

Sodanum (Silverfire, Sodium) -   A soft substance which floats on water.  It is a bright silvery colour, and can be formed in the hands, although this is not suggested as it is highly corrosive.   It can be destroyed very quickly by exposure to water, and becomes another material, the use of which is not known.  It may suddenly catch fire even though no heat has been applied.

Magefire (Magnesium) – A mithrilene-hued, light material.  Burns very easily and readily, with a bright light.  Caution must be taken when handling magefire, as water will not subdue its flames.

Coor’s Breath  (Ghosteeme, Soulsteal, Phosphorus) – This white rock-wax can be extracted from certain types of stones, but only with great care.  It is very dangerous to the alchemist, as it can ignite spontaneously even more readily than Sodanum, and merely touching the substance with ungloved hands can cause severe burns.  It can be kept safely by submerging it under water, however, and since it glows brightly in the dark without actually burning, is a very interesting and potentially useful substance.  

Fuller’s Earth -

Natron -

Antimony -

Lye (Water of Ashes, Tree-Urine, Lye) -

Tartar -

etc.

ROCKS

Quartz -

Emeraude –

Ruby -

Diamante –

etc.

VAPOURS

Wind – Such a common substance needs little description.  However, though it is common, it is essential, for every living being (save the seadwellers), whether sentient or no, on the face of Caelereth, requires this vapour to survive.  It is taken into the body by the bellows-like action of the lungs, and is pushed out again.  Other vapours are no substitute, nor can we inhale water.  In some way, flame requires wind to survive, for when it is completely cut off (such as when a glass jar is placed over a candle), the flame will die ‘as surely as a dwarf at sea’, as they say.  It also seems that plants and trees require wind, for plants placed in sealed jars also perish.   Thank Grothar, wind is present everywhere to nourish life on Caelereth.

Pitdamp (Cavedeath, Minesmother, Firedamp) – This heavy vapour is both poisonous to breathe and highly explosive; often found collected in pockets deep beneath the earth, it is thus very dangerous to the deep-digging Thergerim (who must be very cautious to use alternative forms of lighting when beginning new workings).  It does not have any smell and is difficult to detect or observe.

Miasma  (Methane) – This vapour can be found rising from the surface of swamps.  It seems to be caused by the many forms of vegetation below the water which slowly dissolve and release bubbles upward, although exactly how is unclear.  

Effluvia ( also a methane/sulfur compound  ) A distressingly odorous vapour which is produced in the innards of living things and emitted from time to time.  Its purpose, if there is one, is known only to Etherus as its emittance is always greeted with laughter and jest, at least by the less high-minded.  Cattle are a common source of effluvia, and although we hesitate to mention it, have been the subject of more than one boorish prank involving effluvia’s flammable nature.

Fume – the general word for any cloudy or visible vapour produced by the combustion of an object.  Commonly referred to as ‘smoke’ by non-alchemists.  However, ‘smoke’ should only be used for the burning of wood products and thus does not apply to most of the other vapours involved in applied alchemy.  The fumes which are given off in most alchemical tests and receipts are usually considered hazardous and breathing them should be avoided.  

Aether – the vapour which is believed to exist above us, past the surface of the sky and , some claim, beyond the Void.  An ideal substance in which every organism could exist, whether fish or bird or human or other life form.   Alchemists believe that if some of this substance could be obtained it would be an prerequisite for creating the (Avalith).  

Edited by: Bard Judith at: 7/4/04 22:32

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 06 July 2004, 01:38:00 »

Nice work, well, the beginning of it ;)
Just two remarks, no three

I would spare aether for a while, for one it is an earthen concept which was wrong, why don't we think of another for Caelereth? (can be wrong as well) And if we decide to add something similar, I would look for another name.As long as we have not decided, how the void should work, how it is experienced, we should not make statements how the people see itor what they have developed for thoughts about it.

Wind: Why not air or another name for it? wind is air in movement, and there are enough places and times without wind, so this might be a bit irritating.

Pitdamp= CO? Then they need the flame to detect it..

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #10 on: 08 July 2004, 14:41:00 »

Very nice, Judy:D  - I'll update the main thread bit by bit (I've only just started). I like especially such terms like Sunflesh, Injèrá’s Bones etc. - this symbolic character is precisely what we need here:)  

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #11 on: 12 July 2004, 16:39:00 »

Quote:
Ithildin (Moonsilver)
A close relative of mithril, but less valuable due to its weaker consistency. Found as fist-size hexagonal lumps pocketed throughout aggregate rock, it is porous and dull when forged into an item, and by sun or firelight appears a flat and unattractive leaden colour. However, some trick of its subatomic structure reacts when under moonlight to give a radiant reflectiveness, thus its common name “moonsilver”. Only used for ceremonial items and decorative jewelry, as obviously it is no asset for a warrior to ‘flash’ on and off when trying to creep up on his enemies by night...

subatomic structure?

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #12 on: 14 July 2004, 13:50:00 »

Ah yes, I corrected that above. This was from the entry on the site, which is now already several years old, and it somehow escaped my attention back then:)  - Thanx for pointing this out, Talia!

Almare

Gained Aura: 0

Fairies exist- I am one

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 14 December 2006, 06:59:35 »

do we have anything that would resemble say mudstone or brick? A resource that is easily found that is good for building with would be a valuble reasource for buildings.

Life is like a box of chocolates- You never know which ones are poisoned.
Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #14 on: 14 December 2006, 07:40:02 »

clay?

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]