Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Darian, Avennorians, whalebone-structures, Klinsor etc  (Read 4263 times)
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« on: 17 February 2006, 10:28:00 »

I thought we need such a thread, so that these questions are not scattered over various places and tribe's entries...

Questions: Whaling is quite a hard business, you need big ships and learned sailors. So - which cities had such fleets? I tend to assume, that it was only Ciosa, but they had quite a busy time and could have caught a lot..  Klinsor lies to much away from the coast as does Marcogg. The villages along the Mithral coast are too small. Whaling in the gulf of Maraya may not be the best idea either (though the „Ravens“ might have tried it, but maybe the Varcopasians or the elves of the Zeiphyrian Forest didn‘t like the bloodshed in the gulf of Maraya, or the whalers did hinder the traffic between Varcopas, Chylikis and Elving...

Hey, look what I found!
www.google.de/search?hs=u...uche&meta=
I couldn‘t find what flensing means, so I searched finally with google!

More links for whaling:
www.historyshelf.org/secf/whale/13.php
follow links there...

***Astropic of the day***
"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 17 February 2006, 15:16:00 »

Go, Ciosa, go! :D

Well, Klinsor actually is meant to be the a town where major flensing business is meant to take place as far as I know, that's why a part of the town is called "The Flensery". People hunting whales would be off the coast for several days anyway, so they don't necessarily need to be that much close to whales. First works can already be done on the ships as well I assume.

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 17 February 2006, 15:26:00 »

We don't have an entry about Klinsor, where do you draw your information from??The flensery is on the map, yes, but they could just have to do the work without going to catch whales for themselves. But ther is the dock. So Ciosa and Klinsor are both have their own whaling boats..

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 17 February 2006, 15:38:00 »

Judy made quite a lot of descriptions for the Sorren game back then already giving detailed descriptions on Klinsor as far as I know. That's also why she wanted to reserve this town for an entry, because she could integrate all those things there.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 17 February 2006, 15:45:00 »

Ahh, I didn't know , that. Then I have to point her to this part of the tribe's entry as well - and I go looking out for more info on this town!  

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 17 February 2006, 15:57:00 »

You might even find it in the RPG Forums of the Dev Board... (only visible to Admins, though)

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 17 February 2006, 15:58:00 »

That is what I found,Judy didn't post more about Klinsor, had it in mind though..back then:

"Klinsor, in the new Tolonian Waist map, is also a whaling centre, with huge flensing docks, and a major 'port' and transit city. Anyone going north or south on the continent will inevitably pass through Klinsor.

Tolonian Heath - low curving hillocks and smooth rises that run into the Auturian Woods to the north, and the flat sludgy clay of the Marl to the south. It's a rich moorland environment, with our heather-equivalent, low junipers, soft grasses and lots of wildlife.

Greifen Marl is a flat, white-clay area that extends south of the Tolonian Heath. Many clay pits are sunk into the landscape here, and the chimneys of the large kilns are constantly belching the scent of wood smoke as they bake the ivory-white building bricks for which Greifen Marl is famous. (could they get their wood from the southward Sharadon Forests? Obviously the elves of the Auturian won't be letting humans turn their urban trees into firewood!)"

Greifen Marl has changed its appearance drastically, I would say, so this can't stay any longer. I hope she doesn't have anything against my new idea...

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 17 February 2006, 16:08:00 »

Look here (visible to admins only).

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 18 February 2006, 19:00:00 »

Wow, that is a lot! Not much which contradicts what I have written.(haven' t read all though, it is 1 am)

There is one thing though, apart from Klinsor. True to Caphers entry I described some of the buildings as ornamented with shells etc. None of the Marcogg buildings has mentioned anything, not the thane's palace/castle..

There is another reference for the Griffin's marl with white clay bricks..markets

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 18 February 2006, 23:54:00 »

I'll have to go and read it all over (my old stuff on Klinsor as well as your new housing post, Talia!) which unfortunately I don't have time for right now... I have to go to bed before it turns into tomorrow!

But it looks fabulous even with a quick scan  - I love the suggestions - and of course I can add to or edit the Marcogg entry as required!

Just remember - KLINSOR IS MINE!   (grin)

Good night, all...

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #10 on: 19 February 2006, 02:20:00 »

I certainly do - tried to read your stuff for the game back then... and fell nearly asleep so much is there already!

Edited by: Talia Sturmwind  at: 2/18/06 14:34

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #11 on: 22 February 2006, 09:29:00 »

Gean - to the Ravenpot Houses being constructed with the gey granite (not marble) of the Caeytharin Mountains - Ravenport is roughly 500 strals away, and that is not a task too big, if you really want to do it and show you off - and I assume the founders were quite mighty and wealthy merchants from ciosa and Klinsor. The Griffins marl would not be suited too well, for (if Judy agrees) I just converted it from a white clay plane to a volcanic rock cone like described in the link above. This material is VERY hard and not very useful for stones, nearly impossible to cut with normla means. I would prefer to add another structure to this mointain, the slates, so that we have a source for these for all Avennoria - where needed.

If money runs out in Ravenport  and the poorer want to have houses as the rich (as in Varcopas), they could invent a type of house which looks similar:  either a black plaster or covered with dark cheap shells or blackish painted wood etc...

A sign for being rich could here be to have houses out of granite - have not even the Shneerin (??) imported some stones from the Haweye Quarry?

Gean Firefeet
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 13

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 26 February 2006, 10:13:00 »

Talia, I'm making mental notes of this thread, when I'll get to Ravenport I'll keep this info in mind. I'll have to change the Shneerin entry a little, for now the marble is taken from Griffin's Marl, but that's not a big problem :thumbup  

040705-110705. My Inspiration.
"I could be bound in a nutshell and still count myself king of infinite space" - Shakespear's Hamlet
Unofficial Typolice of Santharia

"Blessed is the man who calls an aj his friend."
- Shendar Proverb
"If music be the food of love, play on; Give me excess of it..."
- Shakespeare's Twelfth Night
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]