Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Defining Santharian Priorities  (Read 19049 times)
Koldar

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 09 February 2003, 03:37:00 »

Little warning:
I'm currently working on about half a dozen entries of Nybelmar(minimum!) so you might get swamped by medium priority entries soon...

still need some rest so I'll not say that I'm back already but will see what I can do to come back asap.

@Talia:
Current problem is that there are as many mods as there are veteran contributors, but sadly there are still mod places open.
In a way Silfer's suggestion would make sense, when we don't get enough mods to do the jobs (esspecially when mods get beaten up by reallife from time to time) why not call for some self-responsibilty of those that are already here some time and should know how it works?
Maybe it would be enough for a start to promote your work in the general forum so you can get some input by people and get at least some feedback before you annoy Art who has to go over it all alone?
Even this is often hard enough for people...
Of course this is not an optimal solution but sometimes there are just none...

btw: Hey, Talia, you belong to my Order!

Silfer Darkflare
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 09 February 2003, 17:37:00 »

Hmm... instead of posting finished works in thsoe threads- why dont you let people post their works in progress?

that way, they wont be lost when they are done, either

I am the King of Chaos

Tyrian Jadewalker
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 11 February 2003, 08:53:00 »

my only comment about the "let the people who have been around a while do it" suggestion is that that they should ALREADY be mods...i mean if you have someone who you feel is good enough in a certain area to post in this thread why shouldn't they be mods in the forums anyways?

as for your nybelmarian posts koldar...and the overwhelming amount of entries that arti is starting to get...i have finally found a much better way for me to help him out...the past couple of weeks i have been waiting til thursday night...basically i am going to go in on monday now and look around to see if there is anything for me to do...then i will do as much as i can and send it to art...so if you want me to prepare your entries just send me a message and tell me where they are and i will get to it...i just don't have the expertise to tell when something is done...

Tyrian Jadewalker

Dala Valannia
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 3

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 25 February 2003, 23:15:00 »

why not call for some self-responsibilty of those that are already here some time and should know how it works?

Feels somewhat guilt-stricken now after reading this! Koldar seems to be pointing a big fat finger at me *scuttles around*

However, I know myself very well and while it's no excuse but it's the only one I can offer to Arti, I do have enough self-responsibilty to know that I do not have the discipline or stamina to juggle working in a full-time job, doing a part-time degree programme, chores, RL, writing and a modship simultaneously. As it is, I have to give up a lot of leisure time during evenings to study now that term has begun again and PLUS I have to go for lectures and tutorials after work >__< I don't get home until 11pm after a class and tomorrow, I still have to wake up early to crawl to work again. And I work Saturdays too *sigh*

So, in the end, I will end up neglecting my modship, unable to update entries regularly, those who made the entries would be unhappy at the delays, and I'll rather avoid that.

I know it sounds harsh and I love Santharia, being able to be part of a team that creates something out of nothingness, and it's given me a chance and scope to develop my fantasy writing skills, but if it comes down to a crunch whether I have to finish an assignment for school, a project for work or updating an entry for intergration, I'll do my assignment and project first and the entry last :-(

Alright, better people than me have been able to do what I'm doing and add in a modship as well, however I admit honestly I am not a better person.

Grousing a little here, I'm sorry, been feeling swamped lately, but I just wanted to let Koldar know that there's a difference between not wanting to take more responsibilties and unable to take on more Santharian responsibilties.

Edited by: Dala Valannia at: 2/25/03 5:31:14 am
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #19 on: 26 February 2003, 13:56:00 »

I fully understand, Dalá. It's really not easy, and as we started the project nobody could have guessed what develops from it in the course of time, not even myself. It's just natural that the project developped around voluntary members and contributions and that is the good side of it, on the other hand this brings us in difficulties when the amount of things to manage exceeds our time resources. There's also no realistic way out, cause I can't simply quit my job in favour of the project, and making the site commercial (in order to finance my life as a webmaster) is completely out of the question, this contradicts the whole concept.

So I'm happy with everybody who is part of our Dream, and I know that it's extremely valuable to have e.g. you on board, Dalá, cause like several others you are one of our columns on which the Dream is built. Though you may be stressed every now and then and try to handle everything at the same time, you have returned regularly and have written fantastic stories, which are embedded magnificently into the rest of the site, so you know about what you're writing as you know the Dream very well:D

We all have to cope with the fact that we're doing an amateur-thingy and make it as professional as can be. But we should also keep in mind that it should be fun to develop for Santharia and that there are natural limits of real life we have to deal with. We all try our best, I'm sure, and I'm glad to have the current amount of support from all of you at a project done by volunteers only. We shouldn't take it for granted, but see it as a blessing that it has all worked out so well and for such a long time already. So thanx again to all of you who try to work on various aspects of the Dream! It is not complete, but we're on our way.

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 26 February 2003, 14:12:00 »

Feels somewhat guilt-stricken now after reading this! Koldar seems to be pointing a big fat finger at me *scuttles around*

Eh, that was not what I was doing. I was emaning when someone can write an entry it should pose little of a problem to ask for enough feedback to correct things and then bring teh finished piece to the attention of our webmaster Artimdor.

I explicitly meant the entry writers cause my situation is no better when my time schedule gets crowded I simply cannot check my modships anymore without severe health problems. (And I'm speaking here about halluzinations and stuff from monthgslong sleep shortages!!) :)

BTW: My fingers are elegant and nimble, not fat! :b  

Koldar Mondrakken, Knight of the Moonlight

Dala Valannia
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 26 February 2003, 21:12:00 »

It was a proverbial big fat finger, Koldar! :b  

I think I snapped, very very little, but a snap all the same, yesterday :  Must have been having one of Koldar's hallucinations.....

Thanks, Art, you always know the right words to say to unruffle housedragon scales *gives a stuffed bunny cushion to the Great Sage* I just wish I could do more for Santharia, you know? So the outburst yesterday was probably a manifestation of my guilty conscience!  

Dala Valannia
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 15 March 2003, 20:17:00 »

Excuse moi but I'm kinda tired of seeing my name as the last person to write on this thread and on the very top of this section! I'm strange that way, d'oh.... >__< Can someone else post something, anything?!

Atrii Redwood

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 15 March 2003, 21:37:00 »

like this? there that's something;)  

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #24 on: 16 March 2003, 02:32:00 »

:lol  

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Faugar
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 108

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #25 on: 18 March 2003, 05:42:00 »

Dala wrote:
"However, I know myself very well and while it's no excuse but it's the only one I can offer to Arti, I do have enough self-responsibilty to know that I do not have the discipline or stamina to juggle working in a full-time job, doing a part-time degree programme, chores, RL, writing and a modship simultaneously. As it is, I have to give up a lot of leisure time during evenings to study now that term has begun again and .."

oh.. oh.. I SO know how you feel! It must be the dragon character or something..
I also feel guilty all the time, that I dont contribute and get involved enough, I'm messed up in my head I think, and have this odd character, and dont like to talk about things I'm passionate about (yeah, I already know I'm weird) somehow.. :(
So if I ignore all your posts at the forum, it doesnt mean I dont care.. it's some odd form of fatalism mixed with depression. :o

Now - are you happy Dala? It's not you that made the last and stupidest post ;)  

Only         when you awake, will you know you fell asleep..          

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #26 on: 18 March 2003, 12:20:00 »

*pats Dalá and Faugar on the head*

Hey, you two, don't worry too much, you're both doing great. It's not the purpose of Santharia that you all work your *beep* (Artimidor-censored to keep the Forum friendly) off... Having real life and feeling depressed every now and then is nothing unusual, so just take it easy - or do you think I'm running around all day long being friendly to everyone as I should be? :x :lol  - Updating sometimes also isn't really easy, e.g. especially at this weekend when you see that things are going terribly wrong in the world and all I can do is updating Santharia, which is just a small sign I can state in order to bring people together, even in times of madness.

But you've jumped in in time in your moderating role, Dalá, which is very much appreciated, and you, Faugar, have contributed 3 portraits in the last weeks alone and are still working on the Nyermersys column, so we all know that you do care, even though you have to deal with real life issues and might be different in the one way or the other. But that's just what makes us such an illustruous group, which somehow fits so well together though;)  

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #27 on: 05 April 2003, 14:27:00 »

Just a short note: I'll add the "arrow down"-icon (first on the top left when you see the reply textbox) from now on to all those entries which are approved and will definitely be added in one of the next updates. Once they are prepared, I'll substitute the icon with the "thumbs up" one. This way it should always be clear by seeing the icon what's the current state of the entry.

Viresse
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 07 April 2003, 23:02:00 »

What an AWESOME idea, Arti! That's really smart!

*pokey de Viresse at viresse@santharia.com* - Adventures of Sorren Administrator
The Santharian Dream - Home sweet Home...

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #29 on: 08 April 2003, 12:45:00 »

I want to repeat here what I've already written in the reply to Viresses tribe:

I'd like to emphasize that I want to see projects in the future, not single entries, to ensure consistencies! Which means: If you want to do a tribe, you have to take care that other things related to this tribe are developed as well (either by yourself or someone else). Without this guarantee I don't see many reasons why we should put things on the site, which are not connected to the rest, unless you plan to connect them.

In short:

1.) First define the project (consisting of at least 2-3 additional entries) and post it in the appropriate continent thread, then work on these things bit by bit. Projects can always be expanded later.

2.) A project needs someone who takes over responsibility for his project, a project leader. He/she should manage what's going on: who does what when and why etc. The project leader should make sure that entries elaborated in the context of the project are commented as well by other project members, so that consistency is ensured.

3.) Single entries can be done, but need to stand more or less in direct relation to something already elaborated.

4.) Members can be part of several projects, e.g. do a beast for Aeruillin while in fact mainly working somewhere in Southern Sarvonia. However, keep your involvement in too many different projects at a minimum.

5.) Projects aren't always place related, e.g. projects to elaborate a religion, a certain kind of spells (Wind Spells etc.) can be made as well.

6.) If you work on a project, post all project related discussion in your project thread and do not post e.g. Places entries in the Nybelmar Organization area. Post it in the Place Forum and make a link to it in your project thread.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]