Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Ava'atenes - yet another 'magik' group ....  (Read 2893 times)
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« on: 29 September 2001, 02:25:00 »

One thing this world does not yet have is some sort of social/psychological strata of society.  To clarify...who heals people, mentally or spiritually?  We seem to have the beginnings of a plan for clerics, we have apothecaries, and we have sages.... but what about therapists? (obviously not by that name).

To clarify:  I'm thinking of the type of people who are emotionally sensitive to others' needs - good counsellors - almost 'psychic' in picking up their feelings and emotions - who would be employed in soothing hurts, repairing relationships, restructuring twisted attitudes, and so on.

Kind of a cross between a psychologist and a masseuse?

Let's try to elaborate for a preliminary Compendium Entry...

These people - let's call them Ava'atenes for now - could come from any race or level of their society.  They are marked by an early sensitivity to others' pains and feelings, and even as children try to comfort those who are crying or upset around them.  As they become adolescents, they often experience extreme emotional swings while they try to adjust to their rapidly more powerful abilities.  In early adulthood they often seek out others of their kind to learn from.  A young Ava'atene often apprentices with an older, learning his or her craft and some practical applications, before travelling to a community where he or she can be of use.  Generally a village or town will jointly retain an Ava'atene, so that the townsfolk can consult him or her free of charge, but the Mindsmoother has a steady income.   However, in large cities there are often a glut and they are forced to set up shop on their own (this unfortunately encourages charlatans, bringing down the general reputation of the Ava'atenes) offering a variety of services to attract customers.

Some highly skilled Ava'atenes are widely-renowned and sought out for counselling, while others have carved out their own niches by becoming entertainers, masseuses, matchmakers, and so on.  A very few cannot stand the constant emotional pressure and become recluses, living deep in the desert or high in the mountains, dealing only with the clean, uncomplicated feelings of the animals around them.  Mindsmoothers are respected and appreciated, although treated with some wariness by most people who see them on a social basis.  

OK, I'm done.  Can I get your feedback, critique and comments, before I elaborate this for our Great Sage?

Thanks!
Bard Judith

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Ralhag Silverskin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 29 September 2001, 02:33:00 »

In my ignorant opinion,

I think its great, and I am wondering why noone else thought of it sooner??  But, are there certain "recruiters" who go on annual trips to find these young healers, or how are they discovered??? just by themsleves?? It might say so in the post above, and i can't read, but its just an idea/question anyway, if im slow mentally, just pat me on the head and ignore me.

At yer HUMBLE service,

Ralhag

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 29 September 2001, 07:37:00 »

I'd suggest, since we already have more formal 'schools' for mages, and recruitment officers for this Weavers idea that's just been suggested, (very cool, btw...) and so on....

that the Ava'atenes are a much more loosely structured group - in fact, not really a group or 'race' or anything like that, not even a guild.  I mean, they have certain abilities - probably fostered by magic, but in a way natural, the way that some people have more fast-twitch muscles and  quicker reaction times which predispose or allow them to be better athletes.  The Mindsoothers (a handy folk title) are like that - people who are just naturally better at something we can all do a little bit, or learn to be better at.

People who are sensitive would normally want to hang around with other sensitive people, in the same way as the 'artsies' and 'jocks'  and 'computerheads' collect into their own groups in any college campus.  Ava'atenes (may become Ava'enes) know each other by that same 'sixth sense', only more finely refined.  

So no, Ralhag, it's not a dumb question; it's allowed me to give a bit more detail about these people.  Thanks! (smile)

"Seek and ye shall find / Knock and the door shall be opened unto you..."

Bard Judith

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Capher
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 5

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 September 2001, 07:44:00 »

Something like an empath Judith?  If so that is an interesting idea.  I like the concept but as Art always says needs more detail.

With deepest regards,Capher

I live to but to serve my Goddess Seyella and Talon Hawke; son, heir and Wizard of the White Tower-defender of the lands and peoples of Caelereth!
Tarquet Galbar

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 September 2001, 11:56:00 »

I like it, and Ralhag is right, someone should have thought it up sooner. Keep up the good work!

"Shut It!"-Ancient Illinoisian Saying

Xarl
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 September 2001, 18:02:00 »

Okay, factoring this into the magic stuff i've been working on.. How about the Mindsoothers have passive Telepathy, and can usually call on a small amount of Alter Mind, for the purposes of Soothing. If threatened, they may reflexively unleash a Mindlash. More later.
Okay, I lied. No more.

Edited by: Xarl at: 9/29/01 1:25:52 pm
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 03 October 2001, 07:07:00 »

Great! Works for me, Xarl.  Again, I emphasize that these people don't think of themselves as 'magic-users' like the wizards, mages, and so on.

They don't overtly cast spells, study books, or investigate 'formal magic', as they call it.  In fact, there is a sort of superstition that formal study will invalidate their gifts!  They are not averse to learning nonsupernatural (if I can call it that) skills, such as art, dance, massage, and even some simple medical treatments.

Passive Telepathy, drawing on Soothing, and reflexive Mindlash is exactly right for their abilities.  Thanks for the detail there.

Bard Judith

"If you will listen to this lay but a little while now,
I will tell it at once as in town I have heard it told,
as it is fixed and fettered
in story brave and bold,
thus linked and truly lettered,
as was loved in this land of old."

J.R.R.Tolkien, 'Sir Gawain and the Green Knight'

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 03 October 2001, 13:13:00 »

Yeah, good idea, Judith! Would like to see it elaborated for the Compendium;)

An additional comment from me:

I guess Ava'atenes are appreciated by many people and sometimes people may even travel far to find them and get healed etc. On the other hand I would also propose that there also may exist a lot of suspicion about their talents (maybe at certain regions only) and that some would even go so far to hunt these "medieval psychotherapists". They could as well be seen as witches (e.g. in case one such Ava'atene sees too much in the soul of a regent who ordered her to help - could be a good story also: Ava'atenes is lynched for her knowledge, which proves true etc.) Just wanted to point this side out as well.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
SmurfStormcrow

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 October 2001, 17:13:00 »

I like the idea. While everyone is able to do magic in some way, if they spend enough time, some have innate magic that is much more powerful. This would prevent most from becoming too powerful of a mage. I've heard a few different names for these sorts of people, namely "Changelings," and "Naturals." What would these be translated into elven?

Stormcrow

Psychotic Wizard-Type

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 05 October 2001, 07:05:00 »

OK, guys, FYI, here's the polished and revised entry I sent our Great Sage.  Note the name change...I thought Eyasha would be a much more appropriate deity as patron for these people and their gifts.

----------------------- -----------------------------------

The Eyashenes - Santharia’s Mindsmoothers

Scribed by Ju’Dith JuAalYeh for the Tome of Sorren

Eyashenes, or Mindsmoothers, are a group of people who share a common ability to sense and sooth emotions.  They are marked by an early empathic sensitivity to others' pains and feelings, and even as children try to comfort those who are crying or upset around them. As they become adolescents, they often experience extreme emotional swings while they try to adjust to their rapidly changing abilities. They can come from any race, or level of their society, although they are more common in some races than others.  Most elves, for example, have some faint mindsmoothing skills, while  Thergerim’atene (dwarven healers) are few and far between.  It is not unusual to have a higher proportion of female Eyashenes than males, in adolescence; however, the genders usually rebalance by early adulthood.  Some human males have not recognized their Eyashene abilities until forty or fifty years old, while mermaids, on the other hand, display talents very early - sometimes as young as three or four years.  

In late adolescence Mindsmoothers feel an inner urge to seek out others of their kind to learn from.  A young Eyashene often apprentices with an older, learning some practical applications of their craft, before travelling to a community where he or she can be of use.  A very few cannot stand the constant emotional pressure and become recluses, living deep in the desert or high in the mountains, dealing only with the clean, uncomplicated feelings of the animals around them.       

They do not think of themselves as magic-users (such as wizards and sages) but rather as healers.  They don't overtly cast spells, study books, or investigate 'formal magic', as they call it. In fact, there is a sort of superstition that formal study will invalidate their gifts! Eyashenes are not averse to learning nonsupernatural  skills, such as art, dance, massage, and even some simple medical treatments - anything that they believe will help them help their clients.  They are invariably good listeners, strongly pacifist, and, interestingly enough, vegetarian.  Often they gravitate, on their own initiative, to neutral-coloured clothing; soft greys, pale greens and tans, or off-white robes.  As may be guessed by their title, they tend to pay devotion to the Goddess of Peace and Tranquility, Eyasha, and sometimes wear her threelobed clover symbol as jewelry.  However, there is an aversion on the part of Mindsoothers to be seen as a faith, sect, business, or even the most loosely organized guild association, so they avoid anything that smacks of uniformity.  

A few wizards have had the chance to study Eyashene talents from a distance, and speculate that they possess a passive form of telepathy as well as very faint mood-altering abilities (soothing and relaxing emotional tensions).  It has also been observed by some people that threatening or physically harming an Eyashene will result in instant illness, with symptoms ranging from nausea and vomiting to violent headaches and even temporary blindness.  Again, wizards postulate that this might be a result of a defensive involuntary Mindlash.

Every fruit has a stone, as the plainsfolk say, and so it is that Mindsmoothers are often respected and appreciated, but  invariably treated with some wariness by most people.  In a few societies they are regarded with fear and suspicion, and there have been cases of Eyashenes who were hunted down and imprisoned, or even stoned to death. Although the story is not well-known, even among Eyashenes, if you hunt through the judiciars’ records for Caelum, at the Bay of Skies near Ximax, you can still find the name Miranna of Thalun* inscribed in ink the colour of dried blood.  

Generally a village or town will jointly pay an annual retainer to an Eyashene, so that the townsfolk can consult him or her free of charge, but the Mindsmoother has a steady income. However, in large cities there are often a glut and they are forced to set up shop on their own (this unfortunately encourages charlatans, bringing down the general reputation of the Eyashenes) offering a variety of services to attract customers.  Some highly skilled Eyashenes are widely-renowned and sought out for counselling, while others have carved out their own niches by becoming entertainers, masseuses, matchmakers, and so on.

---------- -------------------------------------------
*  Miranna of Thalun and the Corrupt Regent; a Story of Truth and Betrayal

one such Eyashene sees too much in the soul of a regent who ordered her to help: she  is lynched for her knowledge, which proves true.  (Story idea from Artimidor)  It will be fleshed out when I have time!!!

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #10 on: 05 October 2001, 12:22:00 »

Just one word: Perfect, Judith!

Now we've already entry number 10 for this weekend:)  

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]