Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Possesion  (Read 2855 times)
Felina Moska

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 31 August 2003, 03:45:00 »

Is it possible for a deamonologist to summon, then bind a deamon to a weapon? I ask this as i already know that a deamon can posses a person after all that's what one type of deamo wants. any info or guide would help thanks!:D  

Arancaytar Ilyaran

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 31 August 2003, 05:24:00 »

First of all it's either daemon or demon (yes I'm the spell-checking fanatic round here).

For the rest, best wait for one of our mages to answer, should be soon...  

Arancaytar Ilyaran

"When you start quoting yourself, it's a sure sign of senility" Arancaytar Ilyaran

Silfer Darkflare
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 September 2003, 14:23:00 »

Binding a demon to a weapon? Veeeery unlikely, I'd say... Maybe for a very short time, but I canot imagine how it would work... *imagines a demon on a leash bound to a weapon*

Aran, dear, it is demon as far as I know... at least in Caelereth...  

Arancaytar Ilyaran

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 01 September 2003, 14:35:00 »

Spellings vary between many fantasy worlds, novels and RPGs. Demon is more frequently used everywhere, daemon is archaic (and I *love* archaic spellings of all kind, so there). But at least it's definitely not deamon.

The demon would of course have no physical form that is leashed to the weapon; it would rather be some kind of spirit that possesses the blade, maybe making it swing of its own accord, or enabling it to talk, or distinguish between friend and foe (though you wouldn't trust that matter to a demon I guess). It's unlikely, and I'm 100% sure it's not in Caelereth as of now, but I could picture it, and it doesn't strike me as an unoriginal concept.

Point of this ramble: It's not available now, Felina, but if you badly want it, you can become a world developer and put it in! Do some research in this site's magic section to see how it would be feasible, and make a coherent entry describing it. Whether or not it's accepted is of course another matter.

Arancaytar Ilyaran

"When you start quoting yourself, it's a sure sign of senility" Arancaytar Ilyaran

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 01 September 2003, 14:36:00 »

Well, I guess if you mean with demon some kind of evil spirit that can possess people for example (cause demons can have very different appearances), then I think this can indeed be done. In fact it's not unusual in fantasy literature to tie spirits to things - there are several books where spirits of heroes are captured in swords through magic, and also evil spirits or "demons". I remember for example that the expansion set of Ultima VII dealt with such a demon sword.

So I'd say it's possible yes, but of course this would need a very powerful mage who can a) summon this evil spirit and b) tie it to the sword. So the mage would need to be exceptionally powerful.

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 117

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 September 2003, 00:29:00 »

Summoning a demon is Xeuá. Binding a demon to a weapon would probably be Xeuá, but it would probably require a very skilled Xeuá mage.

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Arancaytar Ilyaran

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 02 September 2003, 09:27:00 »

Demonology is a part of Xeua? I'd have thought it would belong rather with Fire or Ecua... but I'm not about to argue with a magic expert there.

The mage would have to have good knowledge of both demonology and binding (or imbuing) spells. Proficiency in two different areas of magic is rare (for example Jamliso could do good imbuing spells, but the spells he bound to the items were usually weak). But if both are Xeua, there would be no difficulty.

Arancaytar Ilyaran

Mina
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 September 2003, 10:27:00 »

Summoning is Xeua.  I suppose this includes summoning demons.  

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 02 September 2003, 13:25:00 »

Well, I'm not so sure if summoning is Xeuá, as Xeuá deals basically with creating stuff. We have a general summoning entry done by Xarl, see here and a typical summoning example by Lurtz, see here dealing with the summoning of a chasm demon. And we've allocated it to Ecuá back then.

Summoning basically means to call an existing beast from somewhere or - as Xarl puts it - "Summoning is the ability to summon someone or something from its natural habitat to its new master." So it deals with breaking of bonds, ripping a beast out of the Netherworlds (see Chasm Demon spell). The spell doesn't create a beast out of nothing.

I don't know exactly where we've mentioned that summoning iis Xeuá, but I think Ecuá would be correct.

Edited by: Artimidor Federkiel at: 9/1/03 21:27

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Mina
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03 September 2003, 05:16:00 »

I figured Xeua has to do with binding, and that summoning something probably involves binding it to the summoner.  

Speaking of Xeua, could you take a look at this thread?  I posted a question about Xeua there a while ago but haven't really gotten definite answer yet.  

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #10 on: 03 September 2003, 13:50:00 »

Ok, will do...

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]