Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Just an idea  (Read 2703 times)
Amberlian

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 16 October 2003, 18:32:00 »

It would be a grand idea if you added a voice message within each icon info (races, people, places, history, herbarium, etc), so viewers who's struggling with reading or , they could hear the information that the members had written for Santharian.  :idea  

Amberlian

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 16 October 2003, 19:41:00 »

I guess when I pushed on the faces, it sent my messages right away.  I guess I won't do that again.  lmao!!!!  So like I said above, it would be a great addition to Santharian since I'm sure that there are some viewers who struggle with reading and others who aren't much of a reader.  I know that it can be done because I've went to a site that had that, but I'm not too sure how to do that, but I do have an idea how it can be.  Well, I hope this idea puts a smile on your faces.  

Drogo
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 October 2003, 22:26:00 »

Hmmm, that is a fine idea and would make the site more accessible as you mentioned.  The only problem that I see is that each icon is just a representation of page upon page of reading material for that item.  So, people challenged with reading would find just about every aspect of this site difficult.

Dirg'mystrume of the Helvet'ine Kuglim.  
Lord of the North

Amberlian

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 October 2003, 07:44:00 »

You do have a point there, but I must add that there are tons of info within the icon's menu, and it would be a great help for members who are a beginner.  Not only that, I know a professor who's quite knowledgable with computer, and he said that you're able to use the html code to automatically post the rpg message within the forum that each member had wrote into a separate page without doing it yourself.  Within a separte page where the story is held, there can be a voice story teller where viewers can sit back and listen to what members had wrote.  It would be a bonus if there's a movie addition within the history section where viewers can watch what happened many years ago, and allow viewers to have an option to listen, read, or watch.  I know there are tons of information within other espects of the site either than the site menu, and we certainly can't listen to people's message within the forum, but if would be a good boost if we added that feature within this site.  It's just a suggestion.    

Drogo
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 October 2003, 08:53:00 »

I think that would be a great direction to go in the future.  At the present time though it would simply take far too much work to be able to do that.  Our wonderful webmaster is already strained as it is and since this is a site run by volunteers in their spare time it is hard for anyone to have that kind of time to put into something of that magnitude.

Though I do agree it would be cool to be able to do that.

Dirg'mystrume of the Helvet'ine Kuglim.  
Lord of the North

Wren
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 9

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 October 2003, 09:02:00 »

Well as I see it there are two potential problems, one of which can be solved, the other I can't really comment on.

Firstly there is the question of quality. I have a fairly expensive and decent mic on my computer and if you listen to any of my draft song recordings the sound quality is appauling. So a voice over for a flash movie is likely to sound shocking if we did it on a PC.....the other down side is that much pc software has a time limit on it.

The way around this would be that I could record a voiceover next time I do a song recording session if someone supplied me with a script. I could even do it seperatly as speaking recording is far far cheaper than music recording..... cos I don't have to rent various instruments.

The other problem is sheer bandwith. SOundfiles, even mp3s are enormous. I don't know how much memory Arti has, but sound files all over the place tend would eat bandwidth like no ones buisness!

Plus please spare a thought for me with my aincient computer and 28k modem. If there were sound files embedded into every page in Santharia, can you IMAGINE what that would do to the speed of my browsing? It would just be too much for those of us with old computers......

Besides, most people I know who have reading or sight problems have a screen reader. The user takes a screen shot and a computer generated voice reads the text. I'm dyslexic and I have one. Multiple punctuation tends to get it into a bit of sckis but usually tit copes admirably with anything in the entries or on the boards.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 17 October 2003, 11:40:00 »

Yeah, Wren mainly said it all. The amount of work we'd have to put into this plus the bandwidth problems make this a nearly impossible feat. I don't know to which site you refer, but it could be that the site somehow has such a computer generated voice implemented, so that there is no recording necessary and the translation is generated that way. And even in this case such a software would definitely cause license costs, which we probably couldn't afford.

As Wren also said reading certain things (for example some selected poems) would be much easier to realize, though it still would cost money to make a good audio studio recording. Of course a reading would definitely make many poems we have on the site much more interesting, and perhaps we could try such a thing to a limited extent. But I basically still favour more of Wren's wonderfully recorded songs, and I guess I'm not the only one:D  - If you still haven't downloaded these songs, here's a link, I'm sure you'll enjoy them;)  

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Amberlian

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 October 2003, 17:26:00 »

Now that you stated the reason why it's slightly impossible, I do understand that creating it as in right now would be difficult, but if we do put our heads together and try to overcome a way to reduce the changes of bandwidth, and if volunteers help, placing this feature would be a possibility in the future and would be a great addition.  Well, if you have decided that this would be on the to do list in the future, I'll always be there to help for I know that pronouncing some of the words is a challenge, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.  lol.    

Roguehammer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05 November 2003, 22:11:00 »

I think that would be a great idea for the songs and such, but History is like ancient scrolls and that, ight? And besides, Tolkine WAS a writer. I' know lots about Tolkien. I've read biographies about him, a lot of his works, and even learned a couple of his languages. Most people have just read Lord of the Rings, and not many have herd of his older Silmarillion and Valinor works, not to mention The Adventures of Tom Bombadil.

I'm not saying everybody out there hasn't read these, or that its not just a good idea, but I think it's better as a reading thing. I mean the movies take care of most of that ancient times stuff, and the whole bandwidth thing is a huge argument. You'd need a lot of heads to put together to acheive this feat.

It might be kind of cool, but there's a high risk it'll end up being rather annoying. Does anybody here know what I mean that can put it across in a better way than I can?    

There was no Peace, no Security, nay, there was only Hatred and Misery and Pain. Before Roguehammer.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]