Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Cor the Shadow  (Read 5689 times)
Isilhir
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 17 June 2004, 10:52:00 »

Here he is folks... the big badass himself...
brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr -PSCHH!

(click on image to enlarge)

Stay tuned for (ready?) more Ulvur things!:fish    

------------------
"You can't be a Real Country unless you have A BEER and an airline-it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a BEER."
- F. Zappa

Edited by: Artimidor Federkiel at: 6/18/04 22:40
Kikhku

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 17 June 2004, 11:29:00 »

o.o!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm scared ::hides behind whoever posts next::

It looks like something out of an alien movie,  Only differance is I wouldn't want that thing for a pet.  Great contrasting colors, but the blue seems a little akward in there.  Awesome pic though!  :clap  

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 17 June 2004, 12:10:00 »

Great as always, Isilhir, though in my vision he was always darker - or maybe not darker,but coming out of a pitchblack background.... the reds are aweful..

***Astropic of the day***
"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Isilhir
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 June 2004, 12:29:00 »

thanks!:)  

well, I did several sketches originally intended to show him far more darker... but it just seemed so dull and boring.  In my opinion, there are more sides to the shadow than just darkness, and I especially got that image from the description of Cor. The description has a paradox: it describes the dark god as a great shadow, yet he is also the embodiment of fear, wrath and hatred, and also described as a god of chaos. In my opinion, such strong feelings can't be represented by darkness alone, but also strong colours; hence the contrast. I can't see evil in complete blackness, I reckon there are more elements to it.

Awe-ful or awful..? :lol  

------------------
"You can't be a Real Country unless you have A BEER and an airline-it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a BEER."
- F. Zappa

Edited by: Isilhir at: 6/16/04 21:47
Isilhir
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 June 2004, 12:39:00 »

Ok, I made an alternative version in... Photoshop*shrudders* to make him darker... I personally like first version better, but if you still want a more traditional picture you can use this one:

(click on image to enlarge)

------------------
- F. Zappa

Edited by: Isilhir at: 6/16/04 20:39
Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 June 2004, 13:07:00 »

I like the first one better despite it seeming too bright for the Lord of darkness. `The blackness takes too much attention away from the head.

What I was wondering - and don't beat me for that philosophical question - should we illustrate Cor and Av? For me these two are more like abstract concepts rather than real creatures with body etc... it just seems limiting for these two, at least for the elven interpretation of them?

Though we have his manifestations as Cor Melr but I don't know if this means he was taking the precise form of some Netherbeast or something then. And what the humans might imagine is beyond me, the painting nearly looks too scary for the Santharian devil.;)

The painting is amazing though! Great work, Isilhir!

Koldar Mondrakken, Knight of the Moonlight

Isilhir
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 June 2004, 13:43:00 »

Thanks!

Well, I don't know about whether or not keeping Av and Cor as abstract essences.. as I recall I asked Arti for a bad guy to illustrate, and he said that Cor only had an old black and white picture and that I was welcome to make a new, coloured one.
However, I do think that the prime divines should be somewhat elusive and erie, and that was partly what I tred to do in the picture.
As for Cor Melor(sp?), I got the impression he had the appearance of a wicked man or man-like creature.. this picture is probably a bit too extreme for him, but I dunno...;)  

..and I orginally planend to just copy a picture of Goerge Bush, but I think that would have been TOO scary:speechless  

------------------
- F. Zappa

Edited by: Isilhir at: 6/16/04 21:52
Drogo
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 June 2004, 13:50:00 »

Definately another great pic Isilhir.  I agree with Koldar on this, perhaps say this is a representation of a certain so and so's vision during SWIII or a manifestation of Coor supposedly seen at the Dark Winds portal, something like that with the addition that "none may ever truly know what Coor is, for he comes as that which we most fear."  

Dirg'mystrume of the Helvet'ine Kuglim.  
Lord of the North

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 June 2004, 14:16:00 »

Quote:
... for he comes as that which we most fear."

Cor looks like the Marshmallow Man?!?! :veryconfused  

Koldar Mondrakken, Knight of the Moonlight

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 17 June 2004, 16:11:00 »

Ok, sorry for taking so long to comment, I first watched EC and then had to go check out the location where my the building with my new appartment will stand in a year or two.

Ok, back to the topic: The picture is magnificent, seems like a crossing of an Alien by H.R.Giger and Diablo - and it combines the power and might in both very well:)  Very detailed, pretty frightening and I like also the idea that it isn't precisely drawn as a clear figure, but that the lower part is somehow only hinted at... Fantastic job, Isilhir! Time to move my teddybear version into the eternal pit of nothingness:)  :thumbup :worship

Oh, BTW: How large is the original picture? A closeup of the head could come in handy perhaps somewhere...

Concerning the dark parts: Yes, though the different colours add a new quality to the picture, I definitely have a clear preference for the dark version. At least it is the picture of Cor the Shadow, and as such the second version where the figure emerges from the darkness is the most effective. Version 1 gives a way too much of his mysterious nature for me. Picture 1 has a very different quality, yup, but this quality further away to the idea of the God, so I'd prefer no. 2. But let's hear more voices here.

About the depictions of elven Gods: Elves are very much focussed on beauty and perception, on what the Greek would call "aisthesis" and from which we derive the word aesthetics. So I personally would see depictions of Av's beauty as an integral part of elven belief, not in order to worship a certain face, but to try to re-produce the perfect beauty in praise of Av. Elven religion cannot be compared with the e.g. Christianity and it's common depictions of God as a wise Grandfather with a long white beard or something, where it is actually said that depictions lead away from true belief. Elven belief is quite the opposite - picture help you to reflect and dive into the divine world, which you experience also in nature. Av and Cor aren't abstract principles, the elves basically see how they appear in the world!

Cor BTW is the ultimate realisation of Av and therefore is seen as a reality, a materialisation of the High Goddess. Dark Elves therefore would see a depiction of Cor as pretty normal, but not an elf, I assume, who'd only use an Av picture to find back to his Goddess, while a Cor picture leads away. Cor (under slightly differnt names) is also the 13th God of the humans, so the image most probably is drawn by a human.

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Isilhir
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 June 2004, 16:20:00 »

the full version is the biggest version, since the original is only an A4 in size. However I can just rescan the picture and save a cropping focusing on the head... hold on:)  

------------------
- F. Zappa

Isilhir
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17 June 2004, 16:27:00 »

Here's the head, with some shadows added...;)

------------------
- F. Zappa

Zdoth Natterath

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 17 June 2004, 21:46:00 »

I like the 1st one best

Those eyes are nasty, i REALLY dont want to meet him in a dark alley....*shivers at the thought*

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #13 on: 17 June 2004, 23:30:00 »

I meant indeed awe-inspiring! :)

I would like to see him darker, but not the way you did it in the second pic. I wished you could not just add dark spots, but make the painting itself darker in some places.What might irritate me, is the bright spot next to his face. But that's just my opinion - it is always difficulty to draw such a thing, if everybody has already his own image in the head.

The head itself is great, so threatening

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #14 on: 18 June 2004, 00:15:00 »

Dearest Isilhir, I know,I'm a nasty person, but I couldn't but try out to add more shadows just with using the ?? brush which darkens without adding color.
I have the problem again, that with mac and flatscreen, I can't really see, how the pic should look like or how you will see mine.

Here is my try - I didn't do anything with the face or hand - for comparison:

This looks so different when posted , compared to when I see it directly at my comp

So I did a darker version as well, this time using a filter for intensity and brightness as well

So, you might :fish    me now for screwing up your pic, but it is just so tempting! (Hey, I wouldn't do it, if it wasn't a great pic anyway!)

The first one is still not dark enough when posted :(  , but the bright spot next to the face looks very good now, when the rest is darker (like you are looking into hell :lol  

Edited by: Talia Sturmwind  at: 6/17/04 10:15

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]