Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Help needed building towns in the Santharian Mud  (Read 16803 times)
Gothballoon

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 01 July 2002, 06:26:00 »

We are looking for good writers to help with the Developing Santharian MUD. Any one who enjoys using creative writing, is good at making maps as well as people who are good with graphics. If it sounds like something you would like to work on feel free to let me know.

have a good one
Brad

Uragel

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 01 July 2002, 08:50:00 »

Sure why not?

Any more details?

~   ürÄGëL   ~
 ~ Character Description |   World of Klintorth

Complex and yet simple, kind and loving, a hint of humour
 with a dazzeling amount of charm. - That's ME!

- Me

Xarl
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 July 2002, 09:52:00 »

I can write, but I'm not that good with maps, and I only have an edition of Photoshop 5. However, every little bit helps...

Xarl Bluestride, Archmage of the White Tower, Master of the Magic Forum, Teacher of RP Sorcery and generally cool guy. All requests are to be written on the back of a ten-dollar bill (or equivelant thereof) placed on a dead ferret, and tossed in the sewer system.
Xarl Bluestride
Owner of the longest pure text sig in Santharia
And it's still growing....
For the non-ferreted... - Master of All Things Magical
The Santharian Dream - Where fantasy dreams come true... particularly mine!

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 01 July 2002, 10:01:00 »

If you want to directly build rooms in the Sorren MUD you should download 2 important things, the Sorren MUD Client and the dot net component thingy, which BTW has 20 MB, so not such a nice task for slow modems. This dot net thingy needs to be installed before you can start the client.

Don't know exactly yet where to find this dot net thingy (Goth?, Nate? - any link?), but the Sorren MUD Client can be downloaded at dev.sorren.com, then select downloads, MUD Client.

Contact Artimidor - Webmaster & World Development Admin
The Santharian Dream - Where fantasy dreams come true

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 01 July 2002, 12:50:00 »

The .Net Framework can also be downloaded at the sorren.dev server at the downloads section. Please download before starting the client.

Also I need to give Nate a list of people who'd like to help build the MUD or who want to walk around for testing etc. So if you're interested, please give me username (just use your santharian name) and a password and mail them to me. I'll collect them, and give it to Nate so that he can add you and you can enter the MUD with the client.

Currently Nate needs to restart the whole server to add a user, so better I have a punch of users/passwords which I can give to him, okeydokey?

Please discuss further MUD things in the Sorren Game Forum.

Edited by: Artimidor Federkiel at: 6/30/02 7:50:48 pm

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 01 July 2002, 15:11:00 »

*confused*

Gothballon is Nates admin, shouldn't he know all these things ???

***Astropic of the day***

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Gothballoon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 July 2002, 01:20:00 »

Yes Talia you need the client and .net Framework downloads as well as have admin accounts made on the server. but this thread is just to field for interest in the game development. any one who wants to join the team email me we will work out what towns to build as well as I will give you the basics on town building.

have a good one
Brad

Edited by: Gothballoon at: 7/1/02 8:22:17 am
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 02 July 2002, 08:41:00 »

Gothballoon:

I am very interested in writing descriptions of towns; however, I'm not the technical type, so let me just try a rough map of Nepris and some accompanying descriptions, which I will email to Artimidor.

If they are the sort of thing you are looking for, I shall be most pleased to continue with the next village, town, city, or area.

Regards from the Bard

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 02 July 2002, 11:42:00 »

Very nice what you've mailed, Judith! This is exactly what we need:)  Just continue on with the rest of the rooms (and put in the squares on your map as described in the mail) and we have the perfect Nepris. Can't wait to walk around in Judith-Nepris. Well, perhaps I will even met a certain Bard at the Pine Hostel there when she's resting from her long travels and have a good talk with her, and maybe she'll even sing me a song or two;)  

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 02 July 2002, 21:54:00 »

This is what I have so far.  I'd appreciate some help from Thuja on the Falls!  Everything else is, I think, in order.  Questions/comments/critiques?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NEPRIS - The Descriptions

Small Bridge

You are standing on a small hewn-log bridge, which appears to have been carefully pegged together and lashed with strands of willow.  A few peds underneath you the Raven River flows  from its western origin in the craggy Mithral Mountains down to the Adanian Sea to your east.    Looking east through the thick pines of this area you think you can just catch a glimpse of the grey-blue waters.    

To the south the coastal road stretches away, a thin dusty grey line that vanishes into more pines.  To the north you see some low buildings clustered along the road’s edge.
To the southwest you see a tiny farmhouse with some plants growing in untidy rows beside it.

Poor Farmhouse

You step  into the front yard of what seems to be a very tiny farmhouse.  Greying planks are pegged roughly together, and you can see gaps and warps in the walls.  A flat thatched roof angles downward over the two front windows, giving the building the air of a sullen lad with his hair in his eyes.  Heavy stones are laid here and there along the thatch, presumably to secure it against the ocean winds from the east,  which the pines only partly block.   You see a few rows of tuberroots, carrots, some sort of scraggly onion tops, and insect-eaten lettuces.   The only thing that appears to be flourishing on this farm are the Althz’onn beans which are planted along one side of the house, running up into the thatch and curling their tendrils around the crooked boards.

To the west there is a door leading into the farmhouse.  The top half is open, the bottom latched.
To the north is the south bank of the Raven River, thick with rocks and reeds.
To the east is the coastal road.
To the northeast there is a small log bridge.

Inside of Poor Farmhouse

Light comes through two small dusty windows on either side of the door, illuminating a single room,  which has been roughly divided with a curtain near the back wall.  You assume the curtain hides a bed and washing area.  To one side is a small fireplace and chimney, made out of rounded river rocks.  An empty spit hangs over the hearth, and an iron kettle sits beside it.  A rickety table, two chairs, and a series of shelves, all made from the same warped grey pine, are the only other bits of furniture.  Here and there farm implements hang on the walls, but it seems keeping them indoors has not preserved them from rusting in the salt air.   On the table is a basket full of wilting lettuce, a small bowl of salt crystals, and a loaf of black bread.

To the east there is a door leading out of the farmhouse.

Prosperous Farm

You are standing in front of a large building with a number of little outsheds and a large, invitingly shady veranda along its front.  The stone walls are straight and solid, going up one story to a slanted roof, angled so as to deflect the sea winds upward and out of the yard.  In front of the veranda a flock of Taenish are scratching and pecking at some grain which has been scattered for them.  Seashells outline areas of the yard in delicate white scallops and traceries, creating an attractive effect on the greyish soil of this region.

To the west the coastal road stretches north and south.
To the east is the farmstead’s veranda.

Farmstead Veranda

The farmhouse veranda consists of several sturdy poles set into the ground, supporting a wooden subroof.  Some sort of shade vine is growing up the poles, providing a pleasant scent from little white flowers.  An irregular stone paving is cool under your feet, while beside you two sturdy wooden benches on either side of a low table encourage one to sit down.   The veranda is well-situated to protect its occupants from the hot summer sun and the biting winter winds alike, and the view to the west looks out on the craggy purple heights of the Mithral Mountains.  

To the west the coastal road stretches north and south, beyond the well-kept yard with its fat Taenish hens and borders of seashells.  
To the north is another, smaller house, set back from the road.

Thrifty House

This house is small and tidy, built mainly of bleached pine planks, with a large stone chimney visible to one side. A small ducraer, the fishing boat of the area, lies across two low racks beside the chimney. Two tall poles stand about three peds away from the other side of the house, attached by crosspieces at their tops to the base of the roof frame.  Fish netting is carefully draped from the crosspieces, drying out.  Like other houses in the village of Nepris, the house roof slants gradually backwards to deflect the winds whistling in off the often-stormy Adanian Sea, and a small shaded area in the protected lee of the house serves as a restplace and veranda.  There are clean curtains at the single window, carefully made out of a recycled orebag - you can see the dwarven smith-mark of Tyr Ethran, a stylized lizard’s head, stamped near the top of the righthand curtain.  

To the south is a prosperous-looking farmhouse.
To the north is a rough storage shed.
To the west is the coastal road running north and south.

Storage Shed

This building appears to be a rough shack, and you can easily see inside through the gaps and crannies in the greyish pine wood from which it was constructed.  Bundled netting, floats, bits of wood, and other odds and ends of the fishing trade are piled high inside, and you wonder how the village folk open the door without everything falling out upon them.... if they open it at all.  It looks as if no one has bothered for months, and a heavy smell of old seaweed hangs around it.
Someone’s firewood, mostly pine logs with the resin still beading on it, is stacked carefully on the south side.

To the south is a thrifty-looking small house.
To the east are tall triangular racks, sitting at the edge of the beach.
To the west is the coastal road.
To the north is another cluster of buildings.

Fish Drying Racks

A series of tall, triangular frames stand dug into the sandy grey soil here.  Crosspieces provide places to suspend the drying carcasses of a number of lean fish.   The ocean wind swings the fish bodies to and fro.  Some tentacular squid-shapes are pegged to the racks as well, looking as though they were cut out of old yellow leather.  Salt crystals catch the light and glisten from the fish scales,  and a strong oily aroma fills your nose as you stand there.

To the west is a storage shed.
To the east is the grey-pebbled beach and the waves of the Adanian Sea.
To the northwest are two small huts and a billow of smoke.

Fish Smoking Huts

The overwhelming smell here is actually appetizing; a strong smoky flavour which makes your mouth water. Two sturdy huts squat side by side, smoke flowing out from the gap at the bottom of their single doors.  Firewood, probably oak from the foothills,  fills the space between the huts.  You guess that this must be where the Nepris fisherfolk process much of their catch.  

To the southeast are some triangular fish drying racks.
To the east is the grey-pebbled beach and the waves of the Adanian Sea.
To the north is a cluster of three buildings around a well.

Boats Drawn up on Beach

You are standing in the centre of a semicircular cove which sweeps away to the north and south.  The treacherously mossy rocks from which this cove takes its name come down into the water on the north side of the cove, while the rest of the beach is formed of a grey, flat pebble shingle that slides and grates under your feet.  White foam mounds up at the edge of the water, and the surf grinds and roars about twenty peds out into the bay, where some irregular rocks form a breakwater.  Some seemingly unused ducraers, the small fishing boats of the region, lie inverted on low racks near the edge of the beach.   Mounds of seaweed are drying or decaying here and there along the shore, giving the salt air just that extra bit of character.  

To the east is the blue-grey water of Mossy Rocks Cove.
To the north is more beach, with the rocky headland coming down to meet it.
To the west are some fish drying racks.

Well

You stand beside a pebble-dashed well, its edge level with your thigh.  A wooden cover sits somewhat askew on top, with a coiled rope and damp bucket set carefully to the bench on one side.  The well stands in the middle of what might be called a tiny courtyard, although that would be a grand name for a square of trampled sandy soil with some beach grasses growing at the edges, and three houses, one on each of three sides.  

To the south are some huts with smoke seeping out from under their doors.
To the west is a small fishing house with the shaded front veranda characteristic of the region.
To the north stands yet another fishing house, its door covered with grey cloth.
To the east another similar house, with a view of the beach and water behind it.

Grouchy House

This house stands directly at a three-way crossroads.  Its sturdy stone and wood walls are planted into the sandy grey soil with a look of permanence.  A shady veranda juts out of the east side, while a front door faces directly onto the crossroads to the west.  Heavy stones are placed here and there on the slanting thatch, to protect it from the sea winds.    A small dog watches you with an expression of distrust from the side of the house.  

To the south you can see a storage shed in the distance.
To the west there is a three-way crossroads.  The coastal road stretches north and south, and intersects with another road leading directly west towards the Mithral Mountains.
To the east is a small courtyard with a well and two other houses.

Sad House

You are facing a small fishing house set back into the thick pines.  Its beach-rock chimney is not smoking, and the door is covered with a thick grey cloth.   The windows are also covered with grey curtains, completely sealing off light into the dwelling.  From a small driftwood enclosure at the side of the house a goat bleats plaintively.         

To the west the coastal road runs north and south.
To the east the rocky headland of Mossy Rocks Cove comes down to meet the beach.  
To the south is a small courtyard with a well and two other houses.

Contented House

This small fishing house, like the others in the region, is built of stone and grey pine boards.  Its roof slants away from the salt winds of the beach on its east.  A lot of work has been done with humble materials to make this dwelling look comfortable and homely.   Large clumps of beach grasses have been transplanted around the edges of its tiny yard, and rounded boulders sit here and there to form simple seats.  A tiny veranda has been constructed from the ubiquitous grey pine and bits of gnarled driftwood have been carefully lashed together to form a decorative railing.   A lovely scent as of roast Taenish hen and fresh bread drifts to your nose, oddly mixed with the sea air.       

To the west is a small courtyard with a well and two other houses.
To the south you can see some fish drying racks in the distance.
To the east is the grey shingle of the beach, with the waves of the Adanian sea coming in.

Beach

Here at the far northern end of the beach the mossy rocks which give this cove its name come tumbling down from an aggressive stone headland to the north.  Grey pebble shingle grates and slides underfoot, the stones ranging from a fingernail’s breadth to a palm’s span.  Huge boulders sit here and there, the height of a man, their tops decked with ancient algae and festoons of seaweed tossed there by storms.  White foam rolls back and forth in the wake of the waves coming in from the Adanian sea, and far out over the water you see the purple haze of old stormclouds scudding along.

To the south some ducraer boats are pulled up on racks along the beach.
To the west is a small, tidy-looking house with grasses growing along its back wall.

Three -way Crossroads (good place to begin exploring!)

You are standing at the place where the road westward through the Mithral Mountains meets the north/south coastal road.   Packed greyish sandy dirt forms the surface of both roads, and thick sedge grasses grow along the edge.  About a ped or two back from the edge of the road the grass gives way to dense pines, twisted and leaning from the force of the sea winds.   North and south the road stretches away along the Adanian Sea coast.   Three carved signs stand at a crazy angle, but by tilting your head you can read the names on them.

“Tyr Ethran” reads the arrow pointing southward.  “Crazy Woman Pass” says the arrow to the west.  “Rentel / Tyr Donion” is carved on the larger arrow pointing north.

The few houses of the fishing village of Nepris are scattered along the eastern side, between the road and the beach which lines Mossy Rocks Cove.  A large building sits in the corner formed by the intersection of the two roads, with some vegetable plots opposite it.  A carefully painted sign swings in the salty breeze, declaring it to be “The Pines Hostel - wayfarers and wanderers welcome.”  A line obviously added later at the very bottom says in pinched script, “Dwarven Ale Served Here”.  

To the east is a sturdy fishing house, its door overlooking the crossroads.
To the southwest is the Pines Hostel, surrounded by the very same eponymous trees.
To the west you see a road stretching away to the purple and blue haze of the great Mithral Mountains.  
To the north you see a road heading into the twisted pine forests of the coast.
To the south a road meanders through Nepris, down to a little bridge over the Ravenwing River.

Pines Hostel (exterior)

This appears to be the only two-story building in sight, and its wooden clapboards have been painted a soft Gnome green that blends well with the thick conifers around it.  A wide porch with several benches and narrow tables is attached to the front of the hostel, and double doors are carefully carved with a pinecone motif.   Double chimneys, one on each side of the building, seem to promise a warm welcome, as does the odour of chowder seeping through a window somewhere.

To the north is the westward road to the mountains, with some small vegetable plots on the opposite side, carved out of the forest.
To the northeast is the three-way crossroad..
To the west is a tiny hut about a ped square, with the silhouette of a leaf carved in the door.

Pines Hostel (interior)

You stand inside the Pines Hostel with your back to the door, looking around.  A small common room meets your gaze, with more benches and tables scattered around.  A hearth with a pot of chowder on it is crackling and sparking to your left.  An open staircase on your right goes up to a loft with five doors, probably bedrooms, leading off a narrow balcony.  A bar takes up the back wall under the balcony, with a few liquor bottles, flasks, and skins arrayed sparsely on the shelves behind.  Three barrels sit prominently on the right side of the bar, with a stylized lizard head burned into their slats, and dwarven runes stamped on the barrel head.   Several wooden mugs sit on the bar, and a couple of glass tumblers which have obviously been made out of empty wine bottles.  

To the north the double doors carved with a pinecone motif lead out to the road.
To the west a staircase leads to the bedrooms.

Privy

This tiny building is about a ped by a ped square, and the door is pierced near the top with a cutout in the shape of a leaf.   Standing inside with the door closed behind you, a wide bench fills half the space.  A bucket of water with a half-gourd dipper in it stands in one corner, over a drain hole.  Two oval openings are cut into the bench top, which had at one time been carefully sanded but is now worn even smoother from constant use.  Between the two holes  sits a large box also divided in two.  In one half a whitish powder - lime, you think, from the odour - is heaped, with a small wooden scoop thrust into the pile.  In the other half is a generous pile of soft Nybellweave leaves, their beige colour telling you they are far from their tundra origin.   If you were of a mind to glance into the holes, you would see that previous users of the privy have considerately sprinkled a scoop of disinfectant lime down the hole after concluding their business, and you resolve to do the same.

Ravenwing Falls

Thuja - perhaps you could write a description here, as you’ve drawn a very clear picture of this area so far?  Same for the Raven River?  I had to invent that, because the water from the falls must obviously go somewhere!  Probably there is a deep cold pool at the base of the falls, which then runs off towards the coast.  I made it go southeast and pass under a small bridge on the coastal road before heading due east to the coast and spreading into a little delta at the beach.  See the map for further info.

Raven River

Thuja?  (hopeful smile)

Campsite

You are standing in a little area of trampled-down grass, with thick pines surrounding you on three sides.  To the northeast the Raven River races by over its mossy rocks.   There is enough space for a small tent, and someone has gone to the effort of fishing enough river rocks up to make a nice fire circle, even filling it with a hand’s depth of sand.   Two fallen logs sit at right angles to each other, serving as crude benches around the firepit.  

To the northeast is the Raven River.
To the northwest a narrow path goes away along the riverbank.  You can faintly hear the roar of a great waterfall in the distance from that direction.
To the southeast the path continues along the riverbank.

Herbwoman’s

A small clearing has been carved out of the pines here.  Grasses, wild flowers, and a profusion of unfamiliar plants, many with pungent aromas and odd shapes, grow in a colourful mass directly up to the door of a tiny cottage.  The building seems, like the plants, to have grown out of the ground, so overwound is it with vines and mosses.  You see creepers springing directly from the thatched roof and gourds hanging by the door, still attached to their vines.   Several sickles of various sizes are stuck into a chopping block on the front step.  Flat stones have been laid as a pathway from the door down to the river, and you see a tiny boat tied securely against the current there, the water lapping at its white-painted sides.  

To the northwest a narrow path goes along the riverbank, vanishing into dark green conifers.
To the southeast the path continues along the riverbank.

Regards from the Bard

“The three principal endeavors of a Bard are to learn and collect knowledge; to teach others; to make peace and put an end to all injury. To do contrary to these things is not usual or becoming to a Bard.”  
The Triads of Britain, medieval text

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Wren
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 9

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03 July 2002, 03:58:00 »

Now I finally have some concept of what on eart is going on I'd be happy to help with the elf forests and stuff....

Contact The Elfy Secretary and Santharia's People Person

Tyrian Jadewalker
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03 July 2002, 05:23:00 »

if none of you have played MUDs before that is the basic idea...what the bard provided is a GREAT example...you provide a description of the place...remember there may not be graphics to support your description so try to make the reader see the place...and as well provide which ways they can go....

Tyrian Jadewalker

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #12 on: 03 July 2002, 11:46:00 »

As soon as I get the final map version from Judy I'll post it here so that you can see how rooms are connected - you can take this map and the descriptions as a reference on how to construct rooms. If you could work on an elven forest for example, Wren, e.g. the Zeiphyrian Woods, this would be wonderful:)  

Tyrian Jadewalker
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03 July 2002, 11:49:00 »

The one thing that you will have to realize when constructing your areas is that you are going to have to provide several areas for entry/exit...your area cannot be completely contained otherwise we will have to remove a part of it to be able to connect it to the world...

Tyrian Jadewalker

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #14 on: 03 July 2002, 11:55:00 »

Are you familiar with the editor already, Tyrian? Cause we'd need someone to realize Judith's descriptions for the game by tomorrow when the final map and adjustments arrive so that Judith can work on more rooms without having to do the technical stuff.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]