Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: What's Free to Do / What's Taken  (Read 8443 times)
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« on: 06 July 2002, 19:46:00 »

Post your 'dibs' here so we know what is currently being worked on!

Gremsa Post (trading post for humans and dwarves to exchange their goods and services) , Chondra, Nathemby are up for grabs in the Nekoma Valley Region.

I just posted the Adania Seacoast Region, and some new places are ready for mapping there too: here's some hints and highlights.

Ciosa is down south on Gebl's Nose Cape  - a pearl and whaling area for the Avennorians.

Fang Julin in Julin Cove is a well-known smuggler's centre - the authorities turn a blind eye when small ships and sail boats put in at the cove and unload tariff-free spices, silks, and imported brandy...

Cloud Falls, Spring of the Hart (a legend suggests itself here), Gopstone Point, and the Fens of Yanthai are all features of nature on the seacoast which could be described very effectively and interestingly.

Klinsor, in the new Tolonian Waist map, is also a whaling centre, with huge flensing docks, and a major 'port' and transit city. Anyone going north or south on the continent will inevitably pass through Klinsor.

Tolonian Heath - low curving hillocks and smooth rises that run into the Auturian Woods to the north, and the flat sludgy clay of the Marl to the south.  It's a rich moorland environment, with our heather-equivalent, low junipers, soft grasses and lots of wildlife.

Greifen Marl is a flat, white-clay area that extends south of the Tolonian Heath.  Many clay pits are sunk into the landscape here, and the chimneys of the large kilns are constantly belching the scent of wood smoke as they bake the ivory-white building bricks for which Greifen Marl is famous.  (could they get their wood from the southward Sharadon Forests?  Obviously the elves of the Auturian won't be letting humans turn their urban trees into firewood!)

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 07 July 2002, 16:18:00 »

Huuh, I'm not sure when what has to be done,but of course I would prefer to do the places I have or will describe...but in the moment I'm a bit timeless.....
Strata?
Uderza?

***Astropic of the day***

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Thuja
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 July 2002, 18:43:00 »

I will make an entry on Cloud Falls and put it on the main site if that is okay.

"In a place like this, the magic is all around you, the trick is to see it."

Wren
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 9

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 July 2002, 10:03:00 »

Will take the Zephyr and the Theahevil Estuary region (ahh...the Quallian. You know when this mud is up and running I am gonna live there!).....

I suspect I have a lot of work on my hands, perhaps when I begin to get a clear idea of whats here I can delegate a bit?

Contact The Elfy Secretary and Santharia's People Person
The Santharian Dream - Where fantasy dreams come true

Lady Tatiana VePiras

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 July 2002, 23:49:00 »

I will work on Ciosa. If anyone could give me any info that might need to be integrated into the town it would be helpful. Such as what types of whale are hunted by the natives, are the pearls they cultivate special in some way? And is there any local history also, like supersticions, legends, heroes, enemies? The size of the town...village,town,city? As for the shops that will be selling items...do I include an item list for when the mud is running? Any info that has to be included will be helpful. I don't want to get carried away and have the town be nothing like what it is supposed to be like. -Tat

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 11 July 2002, 08:12:00 »

Er...looks like you've got most of the questions that need to be answered, Lady T!

(giggles)

Well, if you read my note on the founding of the town - I just did a search on the main site for Ciosa, and that was pretty much all I got.  But have another look and make sure you integrate whatever references already exist.  Then check out "Trysters", "Oysters" "whales" "Avennorians", and so on.  You'll get a lot of information, some of which you can actually use in designing Ciosa.  Other things - hey, that's where your imagination comes in.  

And you'll just have to use common sense and some conversion tables (Human to Santharian, meters to peds ;)  ) for the size - it's the biggest town in the area, but the ecosystem and trade routes will limit its size.  Where does Ciosa get its wood/veggies/metals etc. etc. etc?  Have a look at the maps around the area, such as the Tolonian Waist - there are clay pits and brick factories there.  Or south, the Sharadon Forests could provide lumber.  And so on.

Good luck!  Town design is frustrating, involving, fun, and rewarding all at once.  What could be better - except maybe making brownies with your kids?

Regards from the Bard

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 11 July 2002, 15:16:00 »

Yup, Ciosa has the main disadvantage that there isn't developed much, or nothing precise at all. Or it could be an advantage as you can make up a lot with your imagination;)  However, make sure to read the entries Judith pointed you at -especially about the Avennorians, the tribe which settled there!

I'd also propose to do a map first as Judith did (just for general orientation) and later on add the descriptions.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Xarl
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 July 2002, 13:15:00 »

You're suddenly post-less... did EZBoard overload?

Me, I'll work on Ximax and eventually connecting it to the rest.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 12 July 2002, 13:33:00 »

Oh, I only teleported back in time, you know? Back again now;)  

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 13 July 2002, 15:43:00 »

I will do the Narfost plain,maybe help judith with Dasai and the south of the sharadon map, but probably not in July, but after our visitors have gone - no big summerholiday - my husband is going to HAWAI! without me!

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #10 on: 14 July 2002, 00:36:00 »

To Hawai? Without you, Talia??? You must have done something wrong... :lol  

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #11 on: 14 July 2002, 03:19:00 »

Bhhhhh

Infact I had to decide if I wanted to go to Hawaii with him this summer to use up his free miles or to accompany him next February to NorthernChili to see the big telescopes on the Paranal ---AND

the driest desert of the world, the ATACAMA!

I have been there already about 17 years ago - and it nearly rained, which occurs there maybe every 20 years.  (Oh, nearly 20 years are gone...NOOO)
Well,it was so wet in this year that I saw the desert flower - pink!

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #12 on: 14 July 2002, 06:13:00 »

I see... Desert studying of course must have topmost priority for our Rahaz-Dath mistress;)  

Myrik

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 16 July 2002, 02:13:00 »

In the near future we are going to need to build athe wilderness.  Consider the wilderness everything that's not inside a particular zone.  Basically it's outside.

We will eventually have movement points to make it so that people get tired (such as a days travels), as well as stamina effecting how tired you get in the short term(sprinting).

I am thinking about 550x1150 might do the trick.  That's 632,500 rooms of outdoors for us to put the other zones on.

The zone won't be created manually room by room, and it won't be quite like the other zones.  These will be the only rooms with a x,y position in a zone.  This zone will also be generated from a picture with each pixel representing a room.  Wilderness rooms will not have a room description but will have a map instead this map will be generated using the x,y coordinates of other nearby rooms.

If someone with photoshop, and a lot of time on their hands would like to do this please let me know.  It doesn't take a lot of literature type work, but coloring 600,000 dots manually can be time consuming.  This person will have to come up with roughly 30 room titles (one for each iniquely colored pixel).  Examples include A grassy field, a sandy beach, along a windy road, a well paved road, at the crossroads, a large river, a wooden bridge, and Inside the vast desert.

We are still a ways away from being able to import this map and use titles in this manner, but I feel that the time to start designing this most important zone is approaching quickly.

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #14 on: 16 July 2002, 16:00:00 »

Description of the Rahaz Dath is on the way....and who finances me Photoshop 7 Only  700$?

But then I have to stop play Sorren :(  

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]