Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The Innkeeper  (Read 2211 times)
Smith in Exile
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 4

View Profile
« on: 11 October 2003, 16:13:00 »

There are several NPC's of importance for all the developers. This means that their dialogues must contain certain lines "caused" by other dialogues in the game or by the story itself. Such NPC's may be seen as "information offices" :)   , the innkeeper, the historian, the barmaid and/or the tavern owner, probably the smith too (because we need to know what items he will be selling or identify).
I think it would be a good idea to make a special thread for each of these NPC's so we can gather every piece of info we need to get them done.

I could write the dialogue for the innkeeper (seems the one with less "responsabilities") so first I need to know several things.

First of all we have two choices: either the inn has been around in Nepris for quite some time (because the trade with dwarves was "around" for quite some time) - and then the innkeeper would inherit the inn from his father and so on - either the inn is a recent facility in Nepris (because the trade with the dwarves just got relaunched - the letter which makes the intrigue of the game could be a clue for that) so then the innkeeper was a former sailor that because of an accident at sea was forced to retire and to decide to open up a "business", the inn.

Second, the innkeeper should tell a little info about each of the characters staying there. So I need to know if I have something special about the dwarf (btw, is he the one that would join the player?), about the trader, or about the historian.

Third, I guess we should somehow force the player to buy a room at that inn (like "resting in public places is not such a good idea").

Fourth, the innkeeper could also be one of the storytellers (so we would have the crazy woman pass story and Norgerinth story left, or we could move one of Andulf's stories in the innkeeper dialogue)

Edited by: Smith in Exile at: 10/11/03 0:16
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 14 October 2003, 13:44:00 »

Okeydokey... As you've mentioned, Smith, the dialogues must contain certain lines "caused" by other dialogues in the game or by the story itself. So depending on a certain state of a quest, characters need to have new options to talk about. This also requires that we have already a rough outline of these quests, where they will play a part in. I've started with the rough concept already, and will see to finish the whole Chapter 1 storyline more or less (at least "on paper"), so that we can make the characters fit in.

In general you always have to decide: Is the character
- a "quest giver" (a quest is given in the course of a dialogue)
- a "quest participant" (once a quest is given to the player by someone else, the character has new options) or
- an independent character (who just has his own dialogue)

Basically most characters can be written as independent ones, and the "quest participant" part can still be added later. This is the case for example with the innkeeper. Keep the threads talking about the inn and the question the player might have about asking for the merchant he's seeking seperate. First finish the basic dialogue, then add another part, triggered by a new question, which will be available, once the player is in search for the merchant.

Ok. So now to your question, about the inn:

1.) I personally thought the innkeeper could be a descendant of Ibbon Alnasray. Read more details there. I thought about putting Faugar's portrait in the inn, which the player can examine (suggest perhaps to describe the room first!). Of course you can use another story as well, but I guess Ibbon would fit in here perfectly.

2.) The people in the inn: Well, the dwarf (Dhren Rockfaith) will join the player in part 2 of the story,l a dialogue excerpt can be found here already (he will be in the tavern obviously). That's all I know about him for now. The historian is Llian Aarchim (see entry here). He does some historical research about Annils Norgerinth (as has been already mentioned at the Andrus Voltmer dialogue somewhere, I'm sure you remember if you have played through the game). Still need to make up some details about the trader, though,

3.) Yup, inn as resting place sounds fine. Player should be forced to rest only at special places (another one would be the fireplace to the south),

4.) Storyteller: Well, we have the Ibbon story for him, if you want to use the Ibbon guy:) -  What do you say, Smith?

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Smith in Exile
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 4

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 October 2003, 15:28:00 »

ok, I did some readings and it should be np... I hope I can get it done by the end of this week.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]