Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Room & Quest Creating Templates  (Read 2426 times)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« on: 07 May 2003, 11:23:00 »

I've worked on defining a scheme for designing rooms, which we shall use in order to provide the necessary information for the programmer(s)/editor users.

Each room will get its one Word document. If you're designing a room and all it contains all you have to do is to make a copy of the template, rename the file and fill in your details, then send the version to me. Download the currently existing rooms here, there's the template included as well.

Here's a short summary what the section are all about:

Filename: room_019_grouchy_house.doc

Introduction: Contains a text you will only see once in the whole game: When you enter the room for the very first time. Good to make same atmospheric one-time statements.

Long Description: Contains the complete description of the room. You see this text when you enter the room for the first time (after the Introduction text). Unlike the Introduction text you can see the Long Description again by pressing/typing "Look".

Short Description: If you've been into a room already, and enter again, you only see a short description (1-2 sentences, not more!). In general I propose to copy text parts of the Long Description here which help to identify the room.

Characters: Mention here what characters (NPCs) can be found in this room, profession and race in brackets.

Static Objects: Mention here all objects you can manipulate, but can't take away. E.g. a lever, but also a dog or a goat which will always remain in this room throughout the whole game. Aside from mentioning the object, please provide also a description. In case a certain condition determines the display of a different description, please provide all possible texts.

Inventory Items: Put here all items plus description you can actually take away.

Special Texts: This section contains all those texts you can think of which are related to the room, e.g. the text should see if someone uses an item, opens something, and so on.

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

Edited by: Artimidor Federkiel at: 6/3/03 7:54 pm

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 07 May 2003, 12:32:00 »

I've already started with the re-work of Judy's rooms in order to adjust them to the final map (5 rooms done so far). In doing so I've added already a part of a quest here, making the dog an "object you can manipulate" (note: you should receive some bones for this dogs from the tavernkeeper). Here's how such a room document looks like:

Room Name/Number
Room #19 - Grouchy House

Introduction
None.

Long Description
This house stands directly at a small square near a well to the east. Its sturdy stone and wood walls are planted into the sandy grey soil with a look of permanence. A shady veranda juts out of the north side, while a front door faces directly onto the square to the east. Heavy stones are placed here and there on the slanting thatch, to protect it from the sea winds. A small dog watches you with an expression of distrust from the side of the house.

Short Description
This house stands directly at a small square near a well to the east. Its sturdy stone and wood walls are planted into the sandy grey soil with a look of permanence.

Characters
None.

Static Objects
Dog (no bones given)
The dog is a kardion, with short and rough brown fur, ears always pointed upwards. The dog's face area is nearly black, with only the snout part being grayish. The kardion isn't really big, and also doesn't look very dangerous, just a bit unfriendly, but one never knows…

Dog (bones given)
The kardion dog seems much friendlier now that you've provided him with some juicy bones. As you nod to him, the dog wiggles with his  tail, in expectance of more.

Inventory Items
None.

Special Texts
Talk to dog
The kardion dog doesn't seem to be too interested in longer discussions.

Give bones to dog
You put down your backpack, untie it and take out the bones the tavernkeeper has given to you. As the dog smells what you have in stock for him, he approaches slowly and eyes you expectantly.

You put the bones in front of him, and the dog loses no time to grab it. He withdraws in a corner and seems to be busy enough to not take offence in any further actions from your side.

You have gained experience (+200 XP).

Upon entering the house (unfriendly dog)
The kardion dog suddenly starts to growl angrily and seems to be ready to jump at you if you go a single further step towards the house. You decide not to try this feat.

Upon entering the house (friendly dog)
The kardion dog wiggles his tail as you approach and puts his paw on the remains of the bones you've given him.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 04 June 2003, 11:47:00 »

Here's a proposal on how to handle quests within the game. It's just a small sidequest which should serve as an example. The room description additions allocated to a quest will be placed in the rooms, quest related text should be integrated directly in the dialogues.

Important note: Note that you can also simply substitute the text of a prior quest step instead if adding a new text. In this case, simply add the information in brackets in front of the text, e.g. [Replacement Step 2]

Here's the general template first:

Quest #1 - [...]

Step 1 – [...]
Quest Entry Title: [...]
Quest Entry: [...]
Script Actions: Set Quest 1, Step 1. [...]

Now copy further steps and increase the step number etc.

Ok, here's an example to explain a quest in detail:

Quest #1 - Send Pinn Home to Mommy

Step 1 – Talk to Ilbeth Derkhan (Pinn)
Quest Entry Title: Ilbeth is searching her son
Quest Entry: Ilbeth Derkhan at the Prosperous Farmhouse told me to tell her son Pinn to come home immediately. He should be playing outside somewhere, probably at the southern shore.
Script Actions: Set Quest 1, Step 1.

Step 2 – Talk to Pinn Derkhan (Go_Home)
Quest Entry Title: Pinn wants his ball back
Quest Entry: I’ve talked to Pinn at the Rocky Beach to the south, but he refuses to go home. He claims his dad had made him a ball to play, which he accidentally dropped into the sea a bit north and he can’t reach it anymore, because the rocks are too hight to climb down. He’s afraid of going home without the ball, but if I can bring him the ball back, he promised me that he’ll be back home in no time.
Script Actions: Set Quest 1, Step 2.

Step 3 – Use Ball with Net
Quest Entry Title: Pinn's Ball!
Journal Entry: I’ve used a fisherman’s net to fish Pinn’s ball out of the sea.
Script Actions: Set Quest 1, Step 3.
Add ball to inventory.

Step 4 – Talk to Pinn Derkhan (Ball)
Quest Entry Title: Pinn back home
Journal Entry: Pinn was very excited as I gave the ball to him. Delighted he took his ball and scurried home as promised.
Script Actions: Set Quest 1, Step 4.
Move Pinn Derkhan to Room 57-4 (Kid’s Room of Prosperous Farmhouse)
Allow Miniature Ship to be picked up.
Experience: +150

Step 5 – Talk to Ilbeth Derkhan (Pinn_Back)
Quest Entry Title: Thanks from Ilbeth
Journal Entry: Ilbeth thanked me for sending Pinn home to her and even offered me a plate of fish soup for the favour. Ah well, nobody can tell me anymore that the common fishermen lack hospitality...
Script Actions: Mark Quest 1 as completed/remove Quest 1 from active quests.
Experience: +200

Edited by: Artimidor Federkiel at: 6/3/03 7:53 pm

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]