Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Exact Nepris Room Map in Progress  (Read 4576 times)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« on: 30 April 2003, 13:36:00 »

I'm currently in the process of setting up a definite map for the whole region of Nepris (at least the outside), to which we should stick exactly during development. Talia marked the location of her shrine for me and the paths leading to it at the Nepris pic, so this all will be integrated into the map. If there are special places/spots which you'd like me to add at this map, please let me know.

I'll mark houses, main paths, small paths, forest etc. with colors and will also add connections between the rooms so that it is clear where you can move exactly. Connections which you'll have to work on first to open an exit will be marked as well as rooms where you can do something special etc. I also plan to add some caves here and there (entrances for now only), which we can expand to whatever size we need and some more dispersed houses so that you'll have to walk a bit to reach them.

Hope to have the rough map done at the end of the week, then we can think about placing the exact characters and where to place special things (like wells where you can climb into, doors you can open, secrets etc.)

I'll post it here as soon as I have it for general reference.

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

Edited by: Artimidor Federkiel at: 4/29/03 9:37:22 pm

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 02 May 2003, 07:04:00 »

Here's the work in progress room map of Nepris RPG adventure (mainly put for Talia to get the paths and the location of the Baveras Shrine right). Click on it to open in full.

Let me know if you have special requests on where what should be placed.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 02 May 2003, 08:39:00 »

A quick answer only:

you got it nearly as i imagined it as well, just two things maybe:

- I would have enlarged the map a bit to the left side, adding two additional squares from top to bottom between the third bridge (counted from the sea) and the Torin falls. I imagined the gorge(after the pic of quellion) of the Torin falls not to be exactly a gorge, but a very step mountain slope(steep incline, gradient, whatever) with the river (Torin's Creek???)running at the very bottom. After the falls the creek is relatively calm and not falling much in height till the bride - then again decreasing more quickly in height and entering a small gorge. Baveras shrine could then stand in a shallow part of the river , where it widens to a (very)small bay. The shrine could be seen then in the not so far distance, maybe 100 peds away , when passing the bridge to Norgerinths tomb and looking to the east(?, the mountains)). I thought a little path could continue on the right side on the river as well, leading near the bottom of the falls and then turning right to start with the really steep part to the Crazy woman pass, meeting the main path somewhere. The path leading from Norgerinths tomp to the Crazy woman pass should be only a VERY small path, where you need special equippement (get it)and skill(quest). Maybe you even don#t need a bridge there, or the bridge is just a tree over the water..

Ok, to make it short, Baveras shrine could be just to the left of the bride (one square, no number), near the cave, but not too near please.

I will try to get some more stuff concerning the map done this evening....and get my vocabulary right concerning mountains sides  

***Astropic of the day***

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 02 May 2003, 08:42:00 »

Art, tried to do a little description in the shrine entry

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 02 May 2003, 09:33:00 »

This is fabulous, Art!  You've put a lot of work into this in the last few weeks, obviously.  I'm freshly inspired to keep creating for this project...

Where is the map key, though, which tells us what the numbers represent?  

If I'm looking for the herbwoman's hut, for example... or for the old recluse's shack near the top right on the edge of the cliffs... I'll need to know where they are in relation to the other things.

Is that going to be posted soon, or could you send me even a rough word document if you have it?

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 02 May 2003, 13:24:00 »

I've just updated the map once more, the right part to be precise (see above).

As for explanations... Will add the rest as well, but here is it all in short:

a) The legend to the top right tells you if this is a path, a forest or a house, a cave entrance etc.
b) The numbers are unique and help us to identify the rooms. Though I had to make some changes so that you have to walk a bit more in the village (this was definitely necessary as I saw during development), the bottom right part is more or less directly what you've designed, Judy (see also comment below).
c) The connections between the rooms tell you from where to where you can go.
d) The circle represents your startpoint in the game (you're coming from the south).
e) If there's an arrow somewhere this means that you can enter a house or a cave in this room. Once you're in this structure you'll move to a new map (even a house is a small map, e.g. with 2 levels or even a cellar).
f) At some points you see little diamond shaped things. This indicates that there's something you can use in this room, e.g. at room 1 that is the sign you can read, or in room 87 this will be a tree where two children have carved a heart into the tree with their initials etc. Everything you can examine is marked this way. In general this refers only to items you can't take away. We'll add other marks for things you can grab.

---

Because Konstantinos was so quick with integrating, he was faster already with integrating various rooms as he saw it on the site's map of Nepris before I could finish the map. Well, I hope this map now helps now to organize things and define at least the location of the rooms once and for all. But the allocation between room number and room description still needs to be done, this will be my next step. We'll put it all in a master document and send things to Konstantinos then for integration.

However, because the map expands things here and there some descriptions may not be 100% accurate anymore and will need adjustments. Also note that at room descriptions you now should split between the typical description and items. E.g. you won't integrate what is written on a signpost , but will define an item called signpost and write a text on what you see when you look at it etc.

To Judy: You should be able to find the rooms you're looking for if you compare it with the map on the site and start with the signpost. The herbwoman currently is room number 44, which probably isn't ideal I think as we wanted to have her closer to the waterfall right?

Well, changes are of course still possible, no prob. If you discover something awry (or need something new), just try to mark that somehow and send me then changes and I'll do them to the main main. I'd like to have the main map finished as soon as possible, so that we have a clear concept and then can work on further room descriptions/character placement and the ghosttown starts to live bit by bit... ;)  

P.S. I've also a few further ideas how the story could go and where to place which guy, but one after the other.

Edited by: Artimidor Federkiel at: 5/1/03 8:27:05 pm

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 04 May 2003, 12:42:00 »

Map was updated, room numbers and connection on the top right were added. Guess I'll have to make the brown of the woods lighter cause the black numbers aren't very readable there...

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 24 July 2003, 07:56:00 »

.... a few questions from your negligent bard: :(

-  Could we make this a sticky thread, as I constantly need to refer to this map for room building?  ;)

-  Could we lighten the WHOLE MAP to increase the contrast between the coloured squares and the numbers?  I have been trying to make an enlarged photocopy so as to write the names on the squares (matching up the room titles with the room numbers) and even at the lightest toner setting the numbers on the purple (small building), pink (house), and tan (small path) squares are very hard to read.  And the numbers on the olive (grass) and dark green (forest) are impossible to read even in the original colour printout!  8o

-  Can you, or some master building, assign room numbers to the section of the map where Toran Falls, the cave, gorge, and tomb are?  That whole section is empty right now.  Perhaps we could start with 200 in the square that is just north-west of square 61 (Path to Tomb) and work across and up... OR start with 200 in the square that is directly west of square 99 on the main path to Crazy Woman Pass and work across and down?  :D

Also:  I have done descriptions for rooms 40, 41, 42, and 43, but they are not on the master list of finished rooms.  Should I re-send them to you, or is there some problem with them?  Likewise I was sure I had sent you 33, 34, and 35, but they are not listed either.  Please let me know, as my memory may be at fault...    :eek

Finally:  As far as I know, I only need to write descriptions for rooms 46 - 52 to complete that southwest section of map which I had committed to.  Can you please confirm that?  :o

Regards from the befuddled bard,
Judith

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 24 July 2003, 11:25:00 »

Glad to see you again in this area of the board, Judy:D     - Now about your questions:

- Sticky Map.
There's a thread in the General Discussion called "The Mysteries of Nepris RPG Project", or simply click here. Aside from explaining the project in detail this thread (sticky) is meant to harbour the latest stuff:

a) the most recent Legendary Tales Engine version
b) the most recent Nepris RPG Adventure version
c) the most recent map version

... and as we've moved the character list somewhere else in the meantime, you should also find the links to that there and to some other things I'll move to other threads as well. So that you can access everything you're interested in from this thread, e.g. seperate smaller projects in the whole game environement, like the Prosperous Farmhous section including map and so on. I will try to bring this thread up to date, work in your map suggestions etc. I will post there to inform everyone that the content of the thread is up to date.

- Map Readability.
I'll see to making the map better read- and printable. Indeed I'm also not happy with some colors, especially brown on black is exceptionally difficult to read. I'll see to that.

- New Tomb Rooms.
At the moment I'm quite busy with the Prosperous farmhouse area, but we'll get to the tomb room soon enough... If someone has ideas on how new rooms should look like exactly (rough draft), feel free to sketch them a bit. Always make sure to use the most recent map, which - as mentioned above - can be found here.

- Missing Judy Rooms.
Yup, you indeed mailed me the rooms 33, 34, 35, 40 and 41 back at the end of May, but in the mail you wrote that they are not finished yet and that I should take a closer look at them and send back comments, so that you can correct some things and get the rest right. This I did, so I'm mainly waiting for the final corrections. As usual, the rooms were great, only some adjustments here and there were necessary. So if you now have final versions of whatever rooms you have, just send them over here, and I'd be happy to check them and send them to Humangus for integration;)    

- Assigned Judy Rooms.
Yup, assigned Judy rooms are: From east to west: 35, 34, 33, 29 (outside of house, and some rooms inside), 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52. Room 53 (bridge) is done by now. Oh, and the dialogue for Andulf's wife, Meghrin, in one of the 29 rooms would make it all perfect of course... (you can simply write it in Word, and I'll convert it as good as I can so that LT can understand it)

- Terms of the Cooperation.
Hey, and Talia and Judy... Don't forget to finally agree to the Terms of the Cooperation! Not that I think you two would suddenly say: "It's all mine, mine, mine, and nobdy is allowed to use my works anymore!" - but I just want to get things straight to avoid just possible problems, you know;)  

Edited by: Artimidor Federkiel at: 7/23/03 19:59

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 30 July 2003, 08:21:00 »

I think we shouldn't put numbers in the rooms which are not elaborated yet. Lets do it while writing. Otherwise we end with another couple of 411a, 4011b f.e. It might be necessary to add one or two squares (Notice to Art: I said 1 or 2! ;)  )

***Astropic of the day***

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #10 on: 30 July 2003, 12:09:00 »

Yup, sure, no prob;)  

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]