Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: To be tacked on somewhere...  (Read 4895 times)
Xarl
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« on: 15 August 2003, 20:44:00 »

Room Name/Number
Room #?? - Wizard's Hut

Introduction
You can't help but wonder how a little house like this came to be in the middle of this dark place, but no matter. There's a glimmer of a fire inside, and a plume of smoke rising from the chimney. Maybe someone's inside? But wait a minute... the door doesn't have a knob, there's just a knocker. What is this?

Long Description
At the end of the little trail is the stone house. Grass growing at the base of the stones tells you that the house has been here for a while, and the small craters outside, one of which is still glowing with magical heat, tell you that the inhabitant has done his best to keep it there. Oddly enough, the door has no knob. Instead, there's just a knocker with a face on it.

Short Description
The house looks to have been here for a while, and the craters in the ground back that up. The door to the little cottage doesn't have a knob; instead, there's just a doorknocker.

Characters
None

Static Objects
Doorknocker (intro)
The knocker on the door has a face underneath it, and it seems to be looking at you, puzzledly. Then it smiles, and the knocker seems to swing forward the slightest bit.

Doorknocker (quest neutral)
The face on the door squints, somehow managing to convey amusement and suspicion at the fact you've come back. It then lets the knocker swing out of its grip so you can use it.

Doorknocker (quest started, no wizardleaf)
The face on the door is frowning. Heavily. Its eyes are looking down meaningfully, and you notice that there's some green mist coming from under the door.

Doorknocker (quest started, wizardleaf)
The doorknocker is grinning more than last time, and its arm seems to be swinging almost happily.

Inventory Items
Glowing Rock (Examine crater)

Special Texts
Talk to doorknocker
Through an elaborate set of facial motions, the doorknocker seems to be conveying the words "I don't have a larynx, lungs, or even a tongue, dingus!"

Use doorknocker (no quest/have wizardleaf)
The doorknocker's face winces as the weighted metal arm connects with the plate carved to look like its teeth, and the knock sounds out through the woods. The door opens.

Use doorknocker (don't have wizardleaf)
Your fingers can't seem to grab the knocker from the little face's mouth. That, and its metal is getting uncomfortably warm...

Edited by: Xarl at: 8/19/03 2:42
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 16 August 2003, 14:27:00 »

Hey, that doorknocker is great - but what are you meaning with craters? Where are they from, wizards experiments?

***Astropic of the day***

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Xarl
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 August 2003, 22:59:00 »

Yeah, or something along those lines.

The purpose is that there'd be a couple of glowing rocks scattered around the RPG, and if you could give the wizard enough of them he'd make you something good. That, and you'd only be able to find them if you looked at the long description.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 18 August 2003, 06:18:00 »

Having a wizard's hut with some weird stuff somewhere is a nice idea, we need a wizard anyway (maybe the apprentice can accompany the player).

If you'd like to do the inside rooms as well, Xarl, and perhaps a dialogue for the weird wizard guy (*hehe* Xarl-like type sounds cool to have), I'm sure this would turn out pretty funny...

How about it?

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Xarl
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 August 2003, 14:05:00 »

I'll see what I can do.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 18 August 2003, 14:14:00 »

You can treat the house plus wizard more or less independently from the rest of the game if you make him some sort of hermit, maybe only having a connection with the village through his apprentice (?) bringing him food etc., and in the houe itself a lot of typical Xarl stuff could go on.. *grin* We have another waterfall down south, so maybe he has his house in this region? Well, these are just a few ideas of course.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Xarl
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 August 2003, 13:28:00 »

The next room.

Introduction
You've heard wizards can mess around with space. Too bad whoever designed this house never learned that. Every single inch of the house is crammed full of oddly-shaped glassware, strangely smoking vials, and... what look to be discarded lunches. Speaking of the designer, he's looking at you. Annoyedly. And his fingers are sparking. Maybe it'd be a good idea to explain why you've barged into his house?

Long Description
The inside of the wizard's house is covered in esoteric glassware and discarded food. The earthen floor is almost completely covered in what you'd rather not ask. On the other side of the room is the wizard, in front of his chair by the fire. The smell, a mix of decay, smoke, and whatever his most recent experiment was is impossible to describe. There is a crystal ball with a crack in it on a table, and a little thing that might be a menial Imp working in vain to try to clean up its corner of the terminally messy room.

Short Description
The inside of the wizard's house is covered in glassware and discarded food. The smell is impossible to describe. Noticable are a crystal ball and an imp.

Characters
Thalanis Fizzlefist

Special Scripts

Examine floor
The spot under your feet is... glowing. And there's purple grass growing out of it. Maybe it'd be best to look away now.

Examine crystal ball
The swirling mists within would be a whole lot more mystic if it wasn't for the crack in it.

Use crystal ball
You stare deep within the ball, vainly trying to discern a shape in the silvery smoke that fills the orb. Wait a second... the mist is parting...

There is a gigantic eye staring at you. Rimmed in pulsing blue flesh, it seems to be trying to tell you something... OW!

You've been kicked in the shins by the imp who you suddenly realize was looking at you through the ball. For good measure, he walks over to you, kicks you in the shins again, and hands you a little card. The card says: The ball's broken, moron. Guess why the damn crack.

The imp returns to its never-ending battle to clean up a tiny portion of the room.

Examine imp

The imp is about three feet tall, pointy of head, and bright blue in skin color. It only wears a small belt, and it has nothing for other clothing to cover.. That, and it lacks a mouth. It is reaching in one of the little pouches on the belt for something... it hands you the card it was looking for, and once you're done reading "Yes, I'm an imp. And I work for him. Now stop staring." it steals the card back.

Talk to Imp

The imp pauses, stares at you politely, and hands you a small card with the following words on it in miniscule handwriting "I have work to do. Bugger off, bigjob."
While you are reading this, he kicks you in the shins.

Use Imp

You have the imp in your hands when suddenly it starts to feel almost like a liquid... it's running down your arm, down UNDER YOUR SHIRT!

The imp is back at what he was doing the moment before, and you have decided that having a half-liquid Imp grab your sides and push them together with crushing force is not an experience you want to repeat.

Attack Imp (physical)

When you come to, Thalanis is lifting some vile concoction from under your nose. He is also holding a mirror up to your face. As you read the words "Don't mess with me, human" they evaporate in blue smoke.

Attack Imp (magical)

The imp suddenly grows a mouth, opens it impossibly wide, and eats the spell. It then gestures in your direction, and your heart stops. For ten seconds. You get woozy, and then the incredibly welcome feeling of a heartbeat returns. You almost black out, and in the sparks dancing in front of your eyes you can almost discern the words "Seriously, kid. Don't mess with me."
Then the imp is back where it was the moment before, trying to excavate a strata of glowing ham.

Edited by: Xarl at: 8/19/03 3:23
Xarl
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 August 2003, 14:54:00 »

Meet Thalanis Fizzlefist. Critical to have one psycho mage, innit?

The wizard: The short, dirty-blonde man is wearing robes with a few burn holes scattered around his wrists. He's a strange looking guy... his face suggests a thin man, his arms a fat one, and the robes can't tell you anything about his torso. Oh yes, and you can tell why there are burn holes near his wrists. Sparks are dancing around his fingers, which are shaking spasmodically as he speaks.
"They kick me out, fine. I walk around the woods for a few weeks, no problems! Then I build this place, and suddenly all of creation shows up. What do you want?"

Vhatss'is Nayme: "I was just looking around, and I saw your house, Mr..."
(No choice here.)

Wizard: "Fizzlefist. Thalanis Fizzlefist. Guess why the name." The sparks grow deeper as he gestures.

Vhatss'is: "...Fizzlefist. I'm curious, so I came in."

Thalanis: "Huh. Well, guess it can't hurt for you to visit. I'm working on a project, and maybe you can help me."

(Conversation branch: Who's They, Project, Bye.)

Vhatss'is: Someone kicked you out? Of where?

Thalanis: "Ximax. And yes. Oh, occasionally torture someone to relieve your irritation at your job, you're Archmage material. Blow the whistle on 'em, it doesn't matter what you're working on, they won't let you show your face again. That and the business with the flying monkeys. So now I'm here."

(Branch: Flying monkeys?

Thalanis: Oh yes. Great idea of mine. Make great scouts, taste more like chicken than chicken, and all they need are winged bananas. Too bad about that initiate, though...

Vhatss'is: Guess so. Hold on... did you say something about torture?)

Vhatss'is: "How'd you learn that?"

Thalanis: "Hah. Hard to ignore when you're on the recieving end. Oh, sure, they might have said they kicked me out because poor Fizzlefist's finally cracked, because he started singing heathen songs while running in and out of the laundry pool... but we know the reason, don't we."

Vhatss'is: "Uhh... guess so."

Thalanis: "You still here?"

Vhatss'is: "You mentioned something about a project?"

Thalanis: "Glad you asked. You saw my doorknocker?"

Vhatss'is: "Yes. Nice little thing, I thought." (/Is it a demon?/That was your doing?/DEAR GODS, WHAT IS THAT BEHIND YOU!? *run*)

Thalanis: "Took me three months to make that piece of kack. I've been working on the next step in development, and what I need to finish the project is wizardleaf."

(Branch: Wizardleaf? Gotcha. (Skips next line.)/Okay, I'm out of here.)

Vhatss'is: "Wizardleaf?"

Thalanis: "It's a magical herb. Got four leaves with a blossom on top that's different colors for different areas. Doesn't grow around here anymore. Picked the damn place clean. I know it grows where wizards died, and where there's a lot of background magic."

Vhatss'is: "How much do you need?"/Do you know how hard it is to find that stuff?/Whatever, y'psycho. I'm gone.

Thalanis: "Hah. All I need's a sample. Then I can get the rest whenever I feel like it."

(Branch: Why and Bye)

Vhatss'is: "Why haven't you gone after some?"

Thalanis: "Well, I can't leave Sidney alone for as long as it'd take me to find some, could I?" He gestures at the doorknocker; it's on this side of the door too. It smiles happily.

(Branch: Sidney and Bye)

Vhatss'is: Sidney!?

Thalanis: "Yes. You have a problem with that?" Sparks are flying from his hands again.

Vhatss'is: "Been nice meeting you, Thalanis."

Thalanis: "Don't come back without some leaf, remember. Sidney won't let you in if I'm at a delicate stage. Oh yes, and don't leave me hanging, unless you like burn holes through the torso. I'm a bit nasty that way."

Edited by: Xarl at: 8/19/03 2:57
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 19 August 2003, 12:04:00 »

Looks already quite nice... Some things concerning dialogues, though:

- Please note that the player can quit a dialogue whenever he wants, unless he's needs to answer to a selection (Yes, No, Maybe) etc. Therefore you need to make sure that the questions the player poses are always understandable if they stand alone. E.g. "How much do you need?" needs to be something like "I can bring you some wizardleaf if you want. How much do you need?"

- Try to integrate alternatives the player can select from, even if you don't branch much in the dialogue according to the alternatives. E.g.

Thalanis: "Glad you asked. You saw my doorknocker?"
A: "Yes. Nice little thing, I thought."
B: "Guess so, it's right at the door, huh?."
C: "You mean this annoying head at the front door? Made me quite nervous..."

Even if the program then always continues with the answer: "Took me three months to make that piece of kack. I've been working on the next step in development, and what I need to finish the project is wizardleaf." - at least the player gets an impression of interactivity.

Of course giving different reactions from the wizard makes it even better.

So maybe you can adjust the dialogue a bit in this direction and maybe expand a bit here and there.

---

Room: How about if you place some interesting magical (static, unmoveable) items the player can examine and maybe get some weird reactions (crystal ball etc.)? However, please note that you can't destroy the room or something too much, which would affect the room description etc.and it also shouldn't affect the wizard directly, so dialogue would need to change majorly.

But you could do such things in a seperate room for example. Here's an idea what could be interesting: You could add perhaps a bedroom of the wizard and place some items in there. You could blow something up accidentally, the go out, get the wizardleaf. Upon returning the wizard could complain to you that as he had to get some reagents from the other room he discovered that one of those visitors lately made a whole mess in there (and he unfortunately doesn't recognize you etc.) So I guess there would be some funny things possible. Always remember the more things the player can manipulate and experiment with, the more interesting it gets.

Edited by: Artimidor Federkiel at: 8/18/03 20:06

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 19 August 2003, 13:54:00 »

Now that I made so many rooms, reading Xarls I have one question:

I always thought, that if you have an introduction, the player reads first the intro, then the long descrption when he enters the room for the first time. When revisiting, he reads only the short description, but can click to read the long, the intro is gone however. Right?

If so, then your rooms need some smoothing out from intro to long descrption, not that the player has the impression to go back in the text  - somehow.

***Astropic of the day***

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #10 on: 19 August 2003, 13:21:00 »

Yup, that's right, Talia.

Also, Xarl, you should avoid in the long description the reference to "cracked old man" and keep it more general, as you don't know precisely who's in there if you first come accross this house.

Edited by: Artimidor Federkiel at: 8/18/03 21:24

Xarl
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19 August 2003, 19:39:00 »

Alright, edits coming up. I'll toss in the alternate dialogues.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #12 on: 22 August 2003, 15:08:00 »

Let me know Xarl, when you think you're done with this completely, or if you still plan to add dialogue lines here and there etc. If you're done I can mark it for integration, but we need to make a path first of course which will lead to this wizard's hut...

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #13 on: 21 September 2003, 02:34:00 »

Ok, I'm starting with preparing these rooms and this character now... I might have some questions/requests, but I'll see how far I can get for now.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]