Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: Sorren/Santharia - how might this work.  (Read 17797 times)
Nate of Sorren

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 25 June 2001, 14:27:00 »

I have been discussing with Artimidor the idea of Santharian and Sorren working together to better the development of both.

Santharia has a nice history, and creative resources amongst other things.  But is limited in it's ability for people to live in the world.

Sorren has an addicting online environment with thousands of active players.  But the land doesn't have a history.

When I had originally started to work on sorren it was to be a fantasy world.  A planet to itself.  I have continually made progress towards building this world.

Artimidor has a similar dream his work can be seen in santharia.com.

There isn't a human tongue name for his world.  Artimidor and I have discussed making that name Sorren.  The Lands of Sorren is a strategy/simulation game playable for free at www.sorren.com.  The Hero's of Sorren will be a 3d interactive world using directX in which players can use their Hero's to explore the town, battle, improve skills, and interact with one another.

Wouldn't it be nice if the history, background, beasts, calendar, and much more fitted with Santhoria.

Before we go about making the ties needed to bring the two together we are both asking players and fans for their input.

Please reply so that we know your input.

Faugar
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 108

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 25 June 2001, 16:12:00 »

sounds great to me! a true roleplay game, with 3d characters and ppl from around the world, set in the santhariam dream world, and free? fabulous idea!

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 June 2001, 16:28:00 »

To be honest, when I saw that Sorren is yet another "Utopia-like" Fantasy strategy game I was against it as I feared that the "World of Sorren" was not a very unique idea and that a strategy game not really fits to the Santharian Dream (we have a very fixed political and geographical landscape, you know:) ), but when you want to make a free RPG with Santharia as the playground I'm for it!

At least when we find a decent mix of Playerkillers and those preventing Playerkilling! I hate getting my hero wipped out just because I was watching birds! ;)

Koldar Mondrakken, Knight of the Moonlight

Dala Valannia
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 3

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 June 2001, 22:57:00 »

If it doesn't involve too much of internal change within Santharia, I don't see why not :)  The only objection I have, if applicable, about the integration of a RPG and Santharia is that I DO NOT wish to see role-players taking on characters that I created especially for Santharia as their personas without my permission. I think I mentioned this before in a previous thread, but no harm stating it again ;)  

Faugar
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 108

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 26 June 2001, 09:07:00 »

:)
to put it in Homer Simpson words: "do I have to do anything? no? then go ahead" :lol  

Gean Firefeet
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 13

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 June 2001, 12:50:00 »

I'll have to agree that the persona's we created in history would not return in the game as player characters, although I guess there may be possibilities that moderators take the role of NPC's to influence the course of the game, as is done in other MUDS.

The only problem I see is when this world is made into a game, it might be difficult to change things if we don't like certain developements of the world we wrote. After all, it's then already fitted into a game and the whole game had to restart if we'd make huge changes in history/appearances/anything.

On the other hand, it would give Santharia some welldeserved attention. I just don't hope this plays gets spoiled by thousands of players wanting to help in worlddesign, it just wouldn't go right...

But if you make us mods within the game, I'm all for it ;)

edit: I just read through your post again and went to the site, a question popped up: What you have at your site now is a strategy game like many others, though it has a better outlook then most I played. If I understand you right you're going to develope another game that works with directX and is instead a 3d adventure game?

Edited by: Gean Firefeet at: 6/25/01 8:20:23 pm

"Blessed is the man who calls an aj his friend."
- Shendar Proverb
"If music be the food of love, play on; Give me excess of it..."
- Shakespeare's Twelfth Night
SmurfStormcrow

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 June 2001, 12:56:00 »

It might be interesting. And, if a person wants to use their own character that they created for Santharia in the RPG, that would make it much more fun. Like integrating actual Santharian people into the RPG.  But you'd have to be quite strict at keeping to their character...

Also, I'd like to know how Sorren relates to the elements? Would it just be a separate name with no relation, or with a true meaning behind it? Finally, would original characters from the RPG work their way into Santharia? Would we use people's actual RPG characters as real Santharian people?

I'm a tentative yes.

Stormcrow

Psychotic Wizard-Type

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 26 June 2001, 14:20:00 »

Well, I guess we should keep in mind that it's a game, and the game has its own rules, so it is to be expected that many Santharian details might get lost. But that's natural. Keep in mind it's just a game.

Concerning the 3D role playing thing - Nate has something in mind realized through an "online 3D" engine you can experience at www.wildtangent.com/candy/racing.html e.g. (see the racing game). But this is a project which won't be realized too soon.

The next project would be something which you could see as "Strategy meets RPG with Santharian ideas" and will be based mainly on the current Sorren game engine, as far as I know. Correct me if I'm wrong, Nate!

Nate will incude links to Santharia on his site sooner or later in order to attract some attention on Santharian matters in his game world and we'll then see how people like the idea of joining the projects in a way. I think we won't received thousands of world developpers, but a few more couldn't be wrong:)  

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Greybark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 June 2001, 21:11:00 »

The tide seems to be coming in, whether or not we are ready for it, as it has before. The only way I can see to protect our sandcastle, is to include a line or two of whatever, stating that "The world of the Soren RPG is BASED ON the Santharian Dream by Artimidor and team". Anything else and I fear that our beautiful castle will be washed away........

Torek Ozzot

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28 June 2001, 11:43:00 »

It sounds really cool, but I gotta side with Greybark on this one. If we don't draw some lines, or make a few distinctions, we might be lost to the mob. Also I think that it's more then fair to ask that no one gets to play as people that we have already made. I think it would make more sense if people that we have made for Santeria are made into NPC's in the 3d world, that way no one can mess around with them. And I, personally, would love to see some of my mari's chowin' down on would-be heroes hehehehe.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #10 on: 28 June 2001, 15:41:00 »

On the other hand I also see the advantage of giving Santharia a certain direction, e.g. developing those things first which are necessary to make a world inhabitable for role players of every kind, e.g. finish the most necessary maps, a definite calendar system, a measure system, the Gods etc. All things we require for the development of the world too.

Jumping into a cooperation with a game system may perhaps lead to an unwanted washing away of the Santharian sandcastle, but I guess we can also profit from it in many aspects which will help us to build a Dream on more solid rock.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Dala Valannia
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 3

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 29 June 2001, 01:39:00 »

While I understand what you're saying, Art, about the advantages of integration with a game system and the prospect of more members, I'm still a little wary of the consequences. I guess I kinda develop an exclusive mentality regarding Santharia! I really feel that being a Santharian person is special and while the member list is quite small, it helps to engender a tight-knit community where everyone clicks well together. Sort of like a small town where everyone knows everybody's quirks and habits :)  Plus previously, Santharian has had quite a few people who walked in enthusiastically, afired with zeal, only to contribute a few things and then disappear quite abruptly. I don't like that at all, I might add :(  But at least so far, the influx of such members is still small and controllable but with a sudden wave of wanna-be members through the RPG games, things might just become plain messy, with people who doesn't really get the concepts and ideas behind Santharia but just like the idea of a fantasy world and start contributing contradicting entries cause they never bother to read about the existing foundations and when they find out they can't just re-write the elven history to their liking, they give up and move along. And we end up with an ever growing list of 'dead' members. Somehow, I don't think that's fair to members who have been consistently loyal, so as to speak, to Santharia and really make efforts to stay and help create a world.

I know you stated that it's just a game and maybe the whole joining thing won't go through.
Of course, the whole idea of Santharia belongs to you, Art, being the originator and creator so if you really want to go ahead with the merger ( shades of corporate takeovers! :lol  ), I'll respect your decision 100% and give you my support. But just hope you can perhaps give us, those who still have some misgivings, some assurances that even if Santharia were to become Sorren/Santharia, a few rules and boundaries can be laid down, even if it's just a game, to preserve the essential essence of Santharia? I personally feel our foundations for the sandcastle is strong, linked as it is by all of us here at the forum who really care and is interested in the development about Santharia. The growth may be miniscule but we ARE growing. We're not stagnant at all, just slow but steady :D  And we're a team! I just realise that! Wow, I'm actually part of a team! But can we still remain as a team if the existing sandcastle is washed away to make way for a new one? It might be bigger castle but will it necessarily be a better one?

Sorry, standing on my soapbox again! Anyone who think I'm an overbearing nag, please don't hesitate to say so. I promise I won't sic my demon ducks on them! Apologies for rambling on like this... :O  

Xenos Ravenbeack

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 29 June 2001, 08:41:00 »

Dala makes a very very good point, however lacking her skill with words I shall make my statement breif

in order to gain the suport of myself, as I see this as a possable threat to the dream, I have several... demands if you will... to be sent to uor little freind

1. this must be ROLE playing, not some hack'n slash 3d game, RP must be done, and thse who dont MUST be removed promptly and efficently, I will not have my creations, or arts, or dala's, or koldars, that have taken hours of our time reduced to little modles for some wanna be hero to hack up without appreicating the story behind it.

2. Applicants Must go through a short world getting used to training, so they have at least a basic idea before they start RolePlaying(see demand 1)

3. this not interfir with our creativity, I know that things such as measurement and currency are important but so are anchent heros, or varios wines, and things like that...

I have made my statement

Edited by: Xenos Ravenbeack  at: 6/28/01 3:55:31 pm
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #13 on: 29 June 2001, 12:19:00 »

Many thanx for your long statement, Dalá, and thanx too for your comments on the matter, Xenos!

Believe me, I can fully understand your concerns here and I guess you know by now that I'm not the person who would "sell" a good idea just in order to get some more hits to the site, neglecting the main idea completely. Santharia is also not "my" project anymore (as it had been quite a while ago), but it's ours, the achievement of a whole team. Santharia is a place for people who enjoy being part of this team and who know that their works are valued by others - and it will remain this way. I always try to welcome new members as good as I can, but also accept and respect decisions to stay away after the initial enthusiasm. Santharia has a unique philosophy, I guess, and one has to know that and to believe in it. This ensures our success as a team. Santharia is not a place to simply turn things upside and down if they're not to your liking, but a complete world where every thing has its history, meaning and destiny. Therefore: People whose intentions are otherwise will soon notice that Santharia is a world which needs depth. Only people who accept that, will stay permanently in the team.

But as I've said: We have the depth Sorren is lacking. This is a major advantage for Sorren in case of cooperation. But it could be a major disadvantage for Sorren if the game(s) of Sorren wouldn't try to use this depth in every possible respect in order to make the game as unique as Santharia. Therefore I think it to be essential for the game itself to try to reach this depth as well. If players in Sorren realize that they could develop to members like those we have now.

Greybark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 29 June 2001, 22:38:00 »

Just for the record, I agree completely with Dala's sentiments.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]