Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Print
Author Topic: Sorren/Santharia - how might this work.  (Read 17573 times)
Nate of Sorren

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 05 July 2001, 08:23:00 »

What creatures do you think should be in the Uderza area?

What style of buildings?  Know anyone that might be able to do a couple concept sketches so we can see what we like?

What sort of clothing might be expected in that area?  Sketches?

By the way if anyone asks to do art and wonders if they are good enough to do certain stuff these are some items that might be interesting.

Are the people nomads?  They Armed?  If walking down the street what conversations would you hear about the most?  

"The weather seems a bit dry today, just like the last 63 years..."
"How am I supposed to get these horse shoes to work.  They look like they were made for a miniature..."
"What do you mean all sales are final, Mr Smithin Pyro you know I can't read."

Anyway those are a few questions.  And please anyone feel free to give their input on how the citizens might behave etc.  If you don't know where Uderza is check out the map and look at the southern part in the desert.

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 05 July 2001, 14:14:00 »

Concerning my posting question: That's no prob'! I just wanted to ask before creating a security breach just because of unknown acces or something. I'll make some contact when I've the time. (very sad for me, I haven't:( )

Sooo......

I was already wondering where Uderza exactly lies. The expert of this region used to be Gean Firefeet but he was not very active lately so I think RL has him in its merciless claws.
So anything I say might be not completely right.

The Stratanians, the general tribe living everywhere in the desert region is consisting of nomads that had settled at various places (mostly at the coast) lateron. They're maintaining many important traderoutes over the seas and so caravans would be logical, too.

Their clothes are mainly oriental, so you can take this as reference. I would think that they're often wearing knives or daggers, but no big things in general.

I would see Uderza as an important node for several inland traderoutes connecting Varcopas, Thalambath and Bardavos (the later are two big and important towns), so conversation about trade affairs, weather and prices might be logic.

Don't know if anyone can come up with decent sketches (time problem), our master artist Faugar is currently on holidays, so this might look nogood.

So, if have any more ideas I'll suggest them later...

Koldar Mondrakken, Knight of the Moonlight

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #47 on: 05 July 2001, 14:51:00 »

Shop names: Come on, guys! This is your opportunity to get your own shop - for free...;)

Link Exchanges: As I noticed I already signed up for Link Exchanges quite a while ago, but I never really tried to generate hits with it. Reason: Forcing me to use a banner with a size of 10 KB maximum in GIF (!) format is ridiculous. I'd have no problems with 15 KB and JPG, but this restriction is definitely too much. It annoyed me already quite a while ago and I still have no real good idea how to make a banner which will attract people to click on it which is of that small size... - Only really effective possibility seems to be an animated banner like Sorren uses - with extremely few colors for the texts and a maximum of one small picture somewhere. Damned. Will have to work on such a banner in the next few days.

Forum: Still think we should add an own Forum to Santharia too where Sorren players could post their ideas, concerns, wishes, hopes etc. And we could use this Forum for our talk about the cooperation and for requests from the Sorren side Santharia could cover, like tasks like the naming of shops etc. - we'll make an own thread for every request and people can post proposals etc. in these threads. - Don't know if you like the idea, but I of course would link to this Forum directly from the Web History page, thus (hopefully) bringing Sorren players into this Forum. If the idea sounds ok to you, Nate: I would need your Sorren Sword in order to make a banner for this Forum (perhaps with and without the "Sorren" text on it).

Uderza:
Beasts - Currently described beasts useable in  this region would be the Giant Rock Snake (Raház'Estár), the Scorpion, perhaps Exechons and Zyloths too. We of course would also need some desert spiders.

People would be nomads, I guess, yes. Armed? Of course. The desert is a dangerous place... Maybe Gean has some ideas here, who concentrates a bit on the Santharian south. Dalá'Valannía also described the desert people of Aeruillin, maybe she knows something too about this kind of desert people.

Clothing, buildings, sketches etc. Currently important Santharian artists (Faugar, Koldar etc.) have to do exams or are away on well deserved vacations for some weeks, but we should be able to work out some descriptions, I hope. If anyone has some ideas please try to do everything in Compendium form, as usual:)  

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Dala Valannia
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 3

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 05 July 2001, 19:18:00 »

Hi, sorry I've been missing for the last few days but I had a good excuse! I was laid up after pulling my wisdom tooth out :eek  Oh well, it had to be done sooner or later.....and plus I'm going back tomorrow for minor surgery on another one.....God grant me strength.....

Anyhow, I wouldn't say I'm an expert on desert people/nomads! That's cutting it a bit too thick :lol  My Azhorhria are loosely based on the Arabic Bedouins with similiar behaviour and customs. I was always very inspired by 'Lawrence of Arabia' and that first shot of Omar Shariff sauntering up to Peter O'Toole, looking utterly majestic in his black robes...! Okay, sorry, I digress :)  But yes, I plan to expand on the Azhorhria and the desert region they live in, the Ysthalinth, once I'm done with my Katya stories and for more information on the former, they're listed under 'Races' at the main site.

Gean Firefeet
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 13

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 06 July 2001, 00:52:00 »

Ah RealLife, hmmm, well I'm enjoying my welldeserved holidays, but it seems I'm forgetting all about Santharia, I had to reread this thread twice to know what everyone was talking about. I'm to lazy these days, I'm sorry for not letting my voice hear in the discussion.
As well sorry for the delay, I'll try to make this post usefull by adding a few ideas.

If I understand correctly you need ideas for the current time (about 1600 After Santhros). The situation is the south would be as followed:
Thalambath is the capital of the Province, which means it harbours the main government bodies etc. It is as well the most important port after the demise of Strata in the late 800 b.S.(or around that time, haven't elaborated that fully).
Strata is a harbour city with a lot of lost glory. Criminality flourishes but only in certain parts of the city, the local government brooks some smuggling but prevents things getting out of hand.
Then there's Bardavos. City of artists, this place is yours if you're of the intellectual and openminded kind. But security and safety is maintained strictly, not much a place for adventure, but more a place of wisdom and tranquility.
The smaller towns include Uderza, Varcopas and Rahmat. Varcopas is important for it's traffic route over the Aetryam Sea, though ships are regulary lost because of unexpected cyclones that on a regular base torture the water of this sea. But the route to the north will often go via Varcopas to Chylikis or Brinsley, it's easier to pass this sea, then pass the desert and elven woods over land.
Rahmat is not elaborated yet.
Uderza: I was thinking as some sort of resource for traders between Varcopas and Thalambath. Trade is the main income in all of Stratania. A trade route from themajor trade city to the easiest way north sounds logical. Uderza could function as town where the caravans get their refreshments, as an oasis is near, a scarce possession in a desert, and it's halfway the route. Talks would then include economics rumours(   "have you heard about that deal Thalambath General Food Inc. has done with blablabla), the usual desert tales (   "Last week another kid was lost to one of those giant snakes") and maybe some earlier suggested things.
Another animal/monster could maybe include something like a sandlizard or something similar, but I think you will mostly encounter simple humans. The population of the cities will mainly consist of humans as well, but as it are mostly tradeports, all sorts of other races can be expected though in minor numbers.
I haven't really thought of clothing yet, maybe we could design a typical headthing with a large and broad edge to give some shadow in the hot areas?

Hopes this helps a little.... I think Strata would be a typical town to have a weaponshop, maybe something like   Daron's New and Used Weaponry or   Hyggin's Hold of Handheld Hammers and various other smashing weaponry? I might come up with more...

edit: Think I'll fit this in a general entry on the Stratanian/Truban Province, with a short description of each town, might that be a good idea Art?

Edited by: Gean Firefeet at: 7/5/01 7:37:26 pm

"Blessed is the man who calls an aj his friend."
- Shendar Proverb
"If music be the food of love, play on; Give me excess of it..."
- Shakespeare's Twelfth Night
Nate of Sorren

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 06 July 2001, 07:11:00 »

I appreciate your help and those are excellent ideas.  And notes.  I want to make sure that any new beasts we add for this region are recorded in the Bestiary etc.

Here is my icq so we can discuss these things in more detail and make sure everything gets reviewed by Art and added to Santharia.  ICQ 20748554.

Again I appreciate your help.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #51 on: 06 July 2001, 14:13:00 »

Yeah, Compendium entry would be very useful here, Gean! If you still have time please try to elaborate one, maybe one for the general province overview so that we get this covered and one for Uderza and it's position in the province (if possible).

Concerning the clothing part: I'm really bad with describing clothes, but that's also why I mentioned Dalá earlier in this thread as she's fond of vintage clothing... - maybe you have some ideas here, Dalá, at least you now also a lot about desert people? (Just asking.)

I will try to work on the myth of the Dagada and Daonami in the next days (hey, I'm on vacation now!), but I need to discuss some details with Nate here first.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Torek Ozzot

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 06 July 2001, 14:48:00 »

How about funk master footes big bad hip hop emporium o' weapons and stuff?

ok i got some real ideas too, chill...
The searing blade
The bitter point
The Ashmarian fist
*insert name here*'s lance and dagger
*insert name here*'s wand and staff

hmmmmmm never said they were good ideas...

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 07 July 2001, 09:41:00 »

Uhhhh, this thread is getting a little bit long. Art, is it possible to create a new Forumsection ("SorrenRPG discussion board" or something) where the "formerRPG-section" lies.

Would make it possible to get more handsome threads concerning this matter...

Koldar Mondrakken, Knight of the Moonlight

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #54 on: 07 July 2001, 10:21:00 »

Just waiting for Nate's ok and the Sorren banner (sword please with and without the "Sorren" name) to be used at the new Forum... If you have time, Nate, please mail them!

Greybark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 07 July 2001, 20:26:00 »

Would also suggest that people not make multiple posts right after each other. If no one has answered yet, maybe just edit your own last post?

Gean Firefeet
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 13

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 08 July 2001, 01:47:00 »

OK just had an interesting discussion/conversation about Uderza/Stratania with Art, we've had a lot of ideas, entries for compendium and ideas for you to review will pop up within a few hours hopefully.

"Blessed is the man who calls an aj his friend."
- Shendar Proverb
"If music be the food of love, play on; Give me excess of it..."
- Shakespeare's Twelfth Night
Nate of Sorren

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 12 July 2001, 18:28:00 »

By the way Art thanks for keeping everything moving forward.  I'm finding out how big of a project this item shop is turning out to be.

Greybark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 12 July 2001, 20:00:00 »

Lots of discussion on just about everything in the Santharia end of Sorentharia.....it lets us work out bugs and pool our imaginations before putting things on the site....

Wren
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 9

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 25 July 2001, 14:41:00 »

The worst thing would be if the game was simply a kill and level game like some MUD's I play. New players would not have to know or acknowledge the world that has been created. Many online games are very very limiting.

I'd really encourage you to take a look at www.avalon-rpg.com although its text based, I love the ideas. You have to graduate from a uni, which teaches you what to do eliminating newbie questions, you can be anything you want. I especially love the way, that the Gods and Leaders are actual players. They can interact, favour, disfavour and pick chosen players....The eventual aim is to be immortal, though inapriate to santharia really.
Another game worth referencing is is ww.accursed-lands.com As you can actually have a home, rent a shop and just work if that is your aim, or become a hero if you so wish.

That's my wish list. If we can incorperate that to the 3d, then I'll be a happy bunny :)  

Wren
questions, questions.....

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]