Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: General suggestions and maybe some questions.  (Read 5903 times)
SmurfStormcrow

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 31 July 2001, 10:12:00 »

I started this thread becuase I had some ideas that didn't really fit in with other threads, and becuase I'm fairly sure that other people would have more questions and comments that would fit here.

Stormcrow

Psychotic Wizard-Type

SmurfStormcrow

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 31 July 2001, 10:15:00 »

Okay, first. I was wondering how much Sorren will continue to change with the Santharian Dream? What happens of we incorporate new races? Will they appear in the Sorren RPG? And if new cities appear? Will those?

Also, will there be a date system in Sorren? If so, when will it start? Will this also become the current date in Santharia? How quickly will the game progress? Many questions.

Stormcrow

Psychotic Wizard-Type

Nate of Sorren

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 August 2001, 10:54:00 »

Sorren is likely to progress much slower then Santharia as far as development unless we get a huge number of skilled people to help with it.  I plan to create it so that new models, actors, and textures are downloaded in the background as the game is played so that we can continue to add new stuff and keep it as current as possible.  But there are limits to developing speed.  For example it takes longer to create models for a new race, the special weapons for it, clothing, animations for how they move, and code for special abilities in comparison to saying there is a new race called a drac and a nice complete description of them.

We will probably add new races etc in the order of demand/complexity.  And the amount of progress made towards adding them will greatly depend on you and the others.

As far as dates are concerned...  I will create a counter on the server that incriments a number every few seconds.  How we use that number is pretty much up to you guys.  If we want it to be at a specific date I can set the number at that date and boom it's done.  If we want months, minutes, hours, seconds etc to run different the code would be made to an object that is used to convert the number into a date format.  Since the entire game uses this object it can be changed in one place to effect the whole game.

Cities will be fake from the outside.  Basically a model that somewhat resembles the city but isn't the real thing.  As the person walks through the gate the player hops into the new level.  We will have invisible walls that trigger a new level to start loading so it seems seamless.

Different levels/zones can load and be played on different servers.  I guess you can think of this sort of like when your on the a certain island the communication is done with a server in england.  On another island one in the united states etc.  But they dont' have to be islands.

I guess my quick response would be...
Will update as much as possible.
New races will try to be worked into the game.
Yes, when the races are completed of course.
Yes, cities will enter too.

There will have to be a date system in sorren.
I don't know when it will start.
It will not become the current date in santharia.  The other way around.
How do you want to measure progressing.  Building models, actors, zones, world physics, cities, time progression, or total completion?

I'm looking at a couple of years for a beta to be working.  That date stands a high chance of getting moved foreward or backwards.  But this early in the game it's the best estimate I can come up with.  World building tools will come much sooner.  In the next few months.

SmurfStormcrow

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 August 2001, 19:39:00 »

I was wondering: Will you be able to use different forms of transportation? Such as boating, horseriding, or catching some wagon? Will there always be someone in the background acting as a Dungeon Master? Also, how is the magic going to look on the game? And work? Will you just choose spells from your spellbook? Or do you have to type in spell names? Possibly type in magic words/incantations and perform specific movements? This seems like it might be quite hard.

A specific type of magic: teleportation. How would this work? The way I see it in a fantasy world, you have to know what a place looks like, or know certain landmarks to be able to transport places. But this doesn't seem like it would work in a computer game. Either once you learn the skill you have to take "snapshots" of locations that you would want to teleport to, or you need to type in the name of a place. The former seems to cut it a bit better.

How exactly would the terrain editing tools work? And how much detail will it have to be in? A few questions...:lol  

Stormcrow

Psychotic Wizard-Type

Nate of Sorren

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 August 2001, 13:29:00 »

I've been learning how patches work to create a terrain.  It's how I originally targeted doing it.

The detail i'm not sure of yet.  First time around we will probably have a camera which the builder sees from and they are able to move it anyway they wish using the arrow keys.

the mouse would be used as a tool selector.  I see the first one having one tool.  Raise Land.(right button would lower it).  Another tool will likely be added later maybe level ground.  Maybe with a property of radius.

Raise land would not effect that one point but also other points around it that need raised to make the hill look more real.  Because of this it might have a property of like sharpness or something like that.  The sharpness would limit how far a point can be from surrounding points.  If a point is raised above the sharpness level the points around it would raise to match.

I think this would allow us to create most mountains, hills, valleys, paths, and rivers.

I havn't figured out how to do textures yet.  I want to make the textures semi automatic.  Where the builder tool inserts appropriate textures but are changable when desired to be.

SmurfStormcrow

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 August 2001, 09:03:00 »

Yes. This system reminds me of Sim City 2000, in the land editing part. But you should have more complex tools. Also, have you ever tried Bryce? I did once, and it didn't quite work because I didn't ahve enough time to work on it, but I've seen some amazing things done with it.

On different types of land. There can be hard stone, medium stone, and soft stone, as well as sand. Sand can only be used to create very rounded hills. Soft stone can be used to create pillars, but shouldn't, becuse there's no natural way for them to have become that way. Medium stone can be used for pillars, but it wouldn't stay there for very long, and hard stone is used for the perfect pillars. There could be lava flows, which only can be mainly flat, except on existing hillsides. Also ash layers from volcanos, which act the same way as snow when falling.

This brings me to another question. How exactly is the weather going to work? Would we have all sorts of weather? Like fog, in which you can easily lose your direction, and can't see very far. Or hurricanes, in which you can't travel. How about tornados, which can either tear you up or carry you somewhere else. Or random lightning strikes if you are so stupid that you stand up on a ridgeline in a storm.

Stormcrow

Psychotic Wizard-Type

tell me when it is done

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 August 2001, 20:38:00 »

i think tepotshin sould only work to telport of citys you no of!

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 August 2001, 05:40:00 »

Teleportation should be very very difficult at all. i don't like the idea of players being able to jump to any point in the world.
That would take much of the feeling to be a small creature in a huge overwhelming world when you can visit whole Santharia within one or two hours!

Koldar Mondrakken, Knight of the Moonlight

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 22 August 2001, 15:52:00 »

Yup, agree here. Should be a very powerful spell, only accessible to very few individuals.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
tell me when it is done

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 August 2001, 20:54:00 »

this way ita not no super think but if you do not have it and you eed food and if there is only 1 city with it then how will you get to it fast and not lose any thing and i think you should only beable to use it form a city!

Xenos Ravenbeack

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22 August 2001, 21:10:00 »

have the teleportation distance relitive to the level the skill is developed(although if we do xp for invidual spells them it should be divided amon all spells of that magic class like in odyssy:the legend of nemissis(that game with the delightful ending of you finding the mystic staff you lost and blowing up) like having all the fire magic stuff gain xp alla t once and all the mind controll and all the teleprtation/scrying/interplaneer travel) therefor when you first learn it you can teleport like I dunno. 3 feet and then maybe asfter extencive practise you can get it up to a few yards

tell me when it is done

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22 August 2001, 21:50:00 »

you you don't get what i am saying this is a clicite thing i seen it secae old nintendo drangon warror2 and 3 and ultima!

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 23 August 2001, 03:29:00 »

IMO games where you can lose something are far more of a thrill than games where any 'whining player' is saved by magic that is just too powerful.

I'd agree to magical portals between whole areas to travel fast from one temple to another or something to make things easier but a general teleportation spell is something I don't like.

In Diabolo 2 the coolest situations were when two just died people tried to storm through dozens of Undead to get to their equipment. If you don't want to risk anything you shouldn't go into the wilderness! ;)

Koldar Mondrakken, Knight of the Moonlight

tell me when it is done

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 23 August 2001, 12:18:00 »

not as a stuped spell but a portole to make it ezer and like in ultima the portole was only open be cose of the moons and there was 1 moon for where there portor opened and the next for where it went to!

Edited by: tell me when it is done  at: 8/22/01 7:38:37 pm
Wren
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 9

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 24 August 2001, 14:47:00 »

But will the landscape editor be able to cope with the multi-leveled treetop cities of the Quallian (think Ewoks with elven style and finesse)

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]