Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Mortal magic  (Read 8679 times)
Dala Valannia
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 3

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 27 July 2001, 20:20:00 »

So if the Academy was around Santhros's time, that means, if I remember my Santharian history correctly, he was way after Katya's time. Therefore is there an existing Academy during her time? I think I mentioned that Cale Perim, my wizard ;) , mentioned there was a White Tower as well in Chapter 5.... have to go check!

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #16 on: 28 July 2001, 11:44:00 »

I'd say the Academy is a more or less scientific institute, something which came up not before the Age of Change. Don't know exactly what is written in Chapter 5 about a White Tower etc., but there could have been guilds of magicians, loose associations of talented people, who perhaps formed a society of their own which grew very powerful - I'd even propose that they didn't belong to any kingdom. Or: They initially did, but sometime the magicians became so powerful that they seperated from the kingdom. However, Ximax was attacked by the elves in the Sarvonian War, because the destructive power of human magic was detested by the elves.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Nate of Sorren

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 30 July 2001, 06:18:00 »

I'm kind of playing catchup on forums.  been busy with code.

smurf mentioned earlier a list of titles for mages.

One thing i'm wanting to avoid is limiting the player into what they can do because of a class.  The names of stuff sounds about right though.

Sort of like the class being more of a title that's based on skill and stats.  A class may prevent someone from advancing in other areas as quickly.  But with continued effort the class that the person is in would change as the new skills came out.

SmurfStormcrow

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 31 July 2001, 09:13:00 »

Possibly a person can have multiple classes? A mage/wizard/theif?

Stormcrow

Psychotic Wizard-Type

Dala Valannia
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 31 July 2001, 19:02:00 »

I dunno, sounds a little messy. Yes, my name is Rat and I'm a magician/sorcerer/part-time clown/magnificent fighter/sometime tailor..... :lol  

Greybark
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 31 July 2001, 19:29:00 »

Thanks SmurfStormCrow!

In thanx for your patronage, the seven schools is offering you a Grant to enable you to study at the schools for a year in the field of your choice, free of charge :)

Dala Valannia
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 01 August 2001, 19:07:00 »

Hey! I want a grant or scholarship too! No fair offering it to Smurfie only! I've got potential, damnit!! I nearly set the bus-driver's hair on fire today with my spell because he was late, the slacker! Only thing was he was bald.....but there was smoke! A lot of smoke! Smoke everywhere!!!!!!

....sorry, I'm a little hyped this morning....hehehe...

Nate of Sorren

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 02 August 2001, 06:27:00 »

If the player is equally skillsed in several classes I would say we can give them a choice of titles.

SmurfStormcrow

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 02 August 2001, 19:56:00 »

Thanks Greybark!!! Now what to study.

Well, the least I can do is show Greybark I'm not imcompetent. Now how exactly do I fake that... :lol  

Stormcrow

Psychotic Wizard-Type

Greybark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 05 August 2001, 01:17:00 »

LOL!!

Xarl
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 17 September 2001, 19:29:00 »

As a newbie to this site (but with a fair amount of experience in another site) my opinions may not be listened to, but here they are.
Magic System: At my old site we'd actually created a fairly complicated magical set of spells. What this site could probably use is a few magic setups. Here's an example...
School Of Dwarven Magic: Metal Magic, Fire Magic, and Earth Magic stressed. Water magic, Lightning Magic, Life Magic, and Wind Magic not held in high regard. "Magic is the heart of all. As we forge steel with a hammer, the world was forged with magic. So, to understand magic, you must understand the forging."
School Of Elven Magic: Well, already covered.
School Of Human Magic: There are loads. One school covers each of the above, except for Metal Magic, only taught to the specialized magi/clerics called Mastersmiths. Lightning Magic, however, is called Mental Magic, and (only an idea) another school of magic is open to those who wish to specialize in manipulation of raw magical fields themselves, called Metamagic. Metamagicians can null spells, enhance them, store them, infuse objects with magic, and in an extremely powerful case, create orbs that focus magical power. (end only idea)
School of Orcish Magic: What magic? Orcs only work with Fire Magic naturally, and your average Orc won't go to the effort of studying other fields of magic. Lack of sleep's beginning to catch up to me, I'll read the various flamings later.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #26 on: 18 September 2001, 14:00:00 »

Nice ideas, Xarl! It will still last quite a while, though, till we get to magics in the game, so there are still many things open here in this respect before anything will be decided...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Xarl
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 18 September 2001, 15:15:00 »

Look, my character's a combination fighter-mage (yah, I know, but he pays for it) and I'd like to know what kind of things he can do. He's a refugee from another site, so in case of emergency I can keep his previous powers. (Telekinesis, low-grade Telepathy, fairly advanced Teleportation, low-grade Mind Control, and a bit else)
This isn't related and should probably be elsewhere, but 1 question. What's your stance on plothole-making jokes? In my previous bit, I had my sidekick ridicule several plot bits and things he shouldn't know. Should I stop?

Capher
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 5

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 19 September 2001, 08:17:00 »

This may sound a little bizare and mixed up but as I work on the Wizard of the White tower, as I read about the War of the chosen  could not those who wanted to better society have started the schools of magic.  Their knowledge could have came from the "Chosen" ones themselves albiet they don't have the power that the "Chosen" ones had.  They would be the ones who started the "Oath" of Magicians E.g. Like a doctor.  

Therefore Dala your wizard could have been trained by one of these.  We have names of some of the "Chosen" ones considered the outer circle.  There is Ma'asherom the Red Chosen by Foiros, there is Mehan'Melor "Chosen" by Seyella and Eckra the Cruel chosen by Etherus.  I"m working on the others if anyone has any suggestions for names and of the rest of the gods who may have chosen them please post them.  If you need to see what other gods need chosen ones read post on myth of the wizard of the white tower.  The chosen ones can be from any race. So feel free.

Again these are just suggestions.  Any corrections and comments welcomed.

With deepest regards,Capher

I live to but to serve my Goddess Seyella and Talon Hawke; son, heir and Wizard of the White Tower-defender of the lands and peoples of Caelereth!
crebilis

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 19 September 2001, 13:05:00 »

I was just having an idea.

I don't really know how to say it, but if e.g. a Water- mage is more powerfull at a lake or a sea and an earth-mage more powerfull in a dungeon etc.  

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]