Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Magic and Magic Items.  (Read 7836 times)
Langston B Hummings

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 22 July 2001, 01:42:00 »

Query.... How prevalent is Magic in Santharia?

I ask this because my personal pet peeve about online games is the apparent endless supply of VERY UNUSUAL magic items..
Perhaps some sort of limit should be place on the number of items added by the server.  While provision could be made for characters (after great expense to themselves  of course) could create magic item.  This would certainly add to the value said items.  

OOH OOH  and the maker of an item should have the ability to give it a name..  

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 22 July 2001, 09:56:00 »

There's still a lot to do before we'll have to deal with these problems, but I see your point. There shouldn't be too much unique magical items, this can take the fun out of it. And characters making magical items together with naming the item also seems like a fine idea to me...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
SmurfStormcrow

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 July 2001, 13:55:00 »

But how exactly do they go about doing this? Trial and Error? Being taught by a wise instructor? "Creating Magical Relics for Dummies???"

Stormcrow

Psychotic Wizard-Type

Kanga

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 July 2001, 14:02:00 »

perhaps a betatest and common logic? why have 200
death-is-impossible-to-avoid swords when only 3 is actually able to use em. personally i would make a collection of em and show em off to my enemies, "now this is the collection of swords im going to give you in case you decide to surrender?!?!?"

if there is 3 that wants that item, perhaps it would be smart only to make 1 of em, we dunno but it would definitly be a great task to achieve it then (and sumthing to remember which is what we want people to do).

Nate of Sorren

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 July 2001, 07:34:00 »

I have thought about this for quite some time.  And this is what I came to a couple years ago.

The art of creating magical items is a long process.  First you need all the components.  That includes the metals, regeants, etc.  

Have to have both magic and blacksmithing skill.  Hit/dam of the final item will be based on the smithing skill.  

Magical enchangments will be based on what regeants were used in creating the item.  

We will of course have certain max limits dependent upon the spellcaster's magic ability.  

For a weapon to be completed it must remain in a magical solution for a number of days.

The next step is for a daonami to approve the weapon which the player is unaware of.  This includes the weapons's name.

If it passes approval the blade will be created with the creators name etched in it.

I vision all equipment, weapons, items having a durability value which behaves like a stat does for people.  If an item is repeared it's max durability is decreased by one and it's durability is set to the max.

If durability reaches 0 it crumbles.  Magical artifacts will have a much lower durability than non magical items.

This should prevent the massive number of them.  It should also keep shop owners in business.

SmurfStormcrow

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31 July 2001, 09:49:00 »

What exactly are reagents??? But I have a couple of ideas myself.

To create a magical weapon requires MUCH more blacksmithing skill than creating normal weapons does. (Because you have to really be concentrating on using magic while making the weapon, to give it its certain properties.) This means that unless you are VERY skilled in smithing, the properties of the item - all of them, magical and physical - will be down becuase you couldn't pay enough attention to either of them. I also object to the magical solution idea, unless it is something that a certain magical property requires.

The enchantments will be based on four things: the magical skill of the blacksmith, the materials used to create the weapon, the magical materials used (These are the reagents, right?), and the skill of the blacksmith in general. (Some materials, like mithril, are more receptive to enchantments. Others will not take any enchantments, either becuase they are too weak or becuase magic goes agoinst the properties of the material. Iron cannot have enchantments placed on it, and neither can sandstone. Enchanting is directly related to an objects physical properties.)

I very much disagree with the fact that magical items have a low durability level. They have the same exact properties as a non-magical weapon would have. (If you exclude the magical properties.)

For a good enchanted weapon, one on which the enchantment will last, the enchatment must be put on while forging. Otherwise, the enchantment will not be buried deep within the weapon, and it has a durability level as well. There are only a few exception to tis rule, and I haven't had any enlightenment as to what they are. (Perhaps runes, but they have to be carved expertly. Require a lot of skill unless the weapon is newly-forged.)

If a magical item is broken, it will retain some of the magic for a few days, after which it will all be lost. If repaired in the time before all magic is lost, it will be recovered, but never as strong as the original enchantment.

But, since this is your game, just review my objections and suggestions and discard them as needed. I will not be offended. (But I might just ask Dala's, um, PETS, to do a little favor for me...)

Stormcrow

Psychotic Wizard-Type

Nate of Sorren

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 August 2001, 10:41:00 »

How would you suggest making it take a couple of days to produce the items.  We need some time for daonami to approve or disprove the weapon or item.  Expecially important near the start.  Otherwise we would end up with swords named things like the beast fucker, etc.

I have had a game for a while I know this.  Any way a player can screw things up they will do it.

Also we need to put a cap on experience level until their name has been approved.  Otherwise you will have some freaky named people.

Xenos Ravenbeack

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 August 2001, 14:36:00 »

What if we did it like this, the player whould have to have an advanced blacksmithing skill, an advanced alchemy skill and (for some aplication) a rune carving skill.

Now each weapon whould need to be assembled by hand ste by step, for instance for a sword that drained a small amount of hp from the emmy and added it to you you might have to have a steel blade(make the steel from the iron and such) with an enchanted mithril rod and a black marble hilt with a complex rune sequence along the edge of the blade. after which it whould need to set for a bit and restabilize(alowing aprovel)

now nate you are judging the players unfairly, if we implement a newbie area in which they are taught Role playing as aposed to roll playing and those who only hack n' slash are deleted promptly it wont be a problem

SmurfStormcrow

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 August 2001, 20:06:00 »

Yes. All of these advanced skills will keep the number of magical blacksmiths down. (Not necessarily alchemy, because that's like potions, right, but perhaps an enchantment skill)

Stormcrow

Psychotic Wizard-Type

Xenos Ravenbeack

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 August 2001, 22:44:00 »

no, alchemy is mostly potions but includes things like magical objects and properties of magical substances and some mundain chemestry
I think anyway

SmurfStormcrow

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03 August 2001, 09:24:00 »

Oh. So more like a science of magic?

Stormcrow

Psychotic Wizard-Type

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #11 on: 03 August 2001, 14:52:00 »

Concerning enchanted items etc. I would also propose a variety of the Diablo II system: If you're not going to be a great wizard who after months of playing will be able to enchant a really powerful sword, you should have the possibility to enhance a sword like at Diablo with rare gems etc. (3 slots maximum or so), but change to the item should be irreversible. This would give players more opportunity to construct a good item, however, it can't be a really powerful one. You could add some interesting ideas here: If you bring e.g. two gems to a special jeweller you can make them a big one, thus increasing the power etc. Lots of options to play around with. Players would love such things, I guess.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 04 August 2001, 02:08:00 »

I don't know. It would be a very similar copy to the diabolo system.

Perhaps a system that you need to visit special blacksmiths who can also enchant things and bring them certain items for them to merge might be also very interesting. It would also increase the cost for magical enhanced weapons which IMO is always a good thing as long as normal weapons are already good against monsters!

Koldar Mondrakken, Knight of the Moonlight

Nate of Sorren

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 09 August 2001, 13:18:00 »

I like the idea of making weapons containers that only hold gems.

I should have thought of that.  I'll have to order diablo 2 so I can check it out.

Diablo 1 had discussed me with the butchers area and I hadn't been very interested in trying 2.

tell me when it is done

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 21 August 2001, 20:45:00 »

2 is a ever fun game trest me i tested it out of bug after it was made! :)

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]