Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Xaron Questions  (Read 2421 times)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« on: 15 September 2001, 13:10:00 »

Got a mail from Xaron today, who hasn't showed up for quite a while, but seems to have returned from the dead. He wanted to post here, but couldn't, so he begged me to post his questions here. And here we go:

---

It's been a long, long, loooooong while since I've been at Santharia (my apologies for being away to any who missed me, my apologies for returning to any who enjoyed my absence :)  ... but it feels good to have returned once again.

So Santharia is finally going into a game huh? Sorren. (Oh, I guess that means that the Ultima thingy died after all...)

[Note Artimidor: Not really. But the Ultima Online guild isn't in my hands. And progress is pretty slow here. Too slow maybe.]

Since me being a programmer and Sorren in developmen (that's at least what I hope) it peaked my interest. Thus, I would like to know a few things, so allow me to start my little interrogation ;)

1. Who are yet participating in the project (other than the Santharia project) and what are the skills.
2. What platform will it run on (the answer "undecided" is ok).
3. What programming language do you (now who might "you" be...) plan to use?
4. What engine will you use?
5. What will it need to support?
6. What code do you require, what do you have yet, what needs to be enhanced, what is on the wish-list?
7. Site? If yes, where's the link from Santharia to this site, if not, need space?
8. I suppose you need a server in the end... Any ideas on that?
9. Would you accept my appologies for asking alot of annoying questions? (If yes, I appologise, if no, I still do.)
10. Would you accept me in your team? (Whether I would join in the team depends on these questions, as well as other factors.)

Regards, Xaron.
--------------------------------------

Thank you in advance.
Xaron, the annoying

PS, my current e-mail happens to be peter@xaron.dyndns.org
   which happens to be my own server :)

---

[Posted by Artimidor]

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
nate

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 15 September 2001, 14:10:00 »

1.  I'm leading the programming section of development.  I am an experienced programmer who has a multiplayer strategy game with several thousand players.  As far as the others are concerned there aren't any who have successfully passed the test projects yet.  I'm kinda picky on who actually gets in on the main project and assign smaller things until then in order to test skills and dedication.  There are a couple of people doing projects now, the others have failed.  Everyone has to have at least 3 years of experience programming in some language or learn very quickly.

2.  Platform is win2k+, .net framework.  I'm trying this out to see how it works.  I most likely will not use soap, or xml for much of it sticking to sockets.

3. Language wise so far it looks like c# for client and server.  I'm aware of the pros and cons involved with development time and performance and have taken them into account.  Some c++ will be used to create dll's that the client and server use for performance demanding tasks.  And I plan on using java to help us share our work in progress with the rest of the world.  Viewing 3d models by webpage etc.

4.  Engines I have looked at are numerous.  I see 3 that appeal to me.  Wildtangent(based on jet3D) for web3d, it won't work with c# but works well with java as long as you don't use multiple threads in your application(besides the functions they provide that use multi threads), revolution3D(based on directx8vblib) looks like our tool for tool development and testing the app, i'm not certain if for the final product or not.  Becuase it's compiled using vb it makes me a bit nervous, but it plays very well with c#.  The engine that will probably be used in the actual game is destiny3d.  It's a c++ engine that can use directX, openGL, or software rendering.  The engine will be available with source code.  It's like the next version of genesis3d/jet3d.  Early tests have shown it to outperform unreal tournament but the engine isn't finished yet.  they will make a com compatible version then it should work in c# and I can test it myself.

5. What it needs to support is what we are figuring out now.  We are in the early planning and research stages of this project.  I don't want to jump in and things not work right.  My biggest goal is to create it so that it's easy to work with for future modifications and tweaking.

6.  I have several sample projects I have done showing how to use rev3d and make it work in c#.  This includes the use of textures, transparency, 3ds models in a world.

7.  Our development site will be at dev.sorren.com, www.sorren.com is the lands of sorren.  At dev.sorren.com we will be making website features so that we can exchange information and help to each other easier.  I don't want to advertise the development site though.  If someone isn't interested after playing The Lands of Sorren or browsing through the Santharia site then it's okay.

8.  I have multiple servers and redundant t1 connections.  I spend a couple thousand dollars per month to keep sorren up on them.

9.  No appologies necessary, please icq me at 20748554 so I can help you more one on one and find out some more about your skill sets to see where you might be able to help best.  We have site development, client app development, engine development, tentative physics system, business objects, database design, and several other areas of programming that need covered.  Most people developing a game thinks the client application is the big thing, in reality it's not.  It's the combination of everything working together and having good reliable teams in each area.

10.  I can't say if I would accept you into the team.  First thing that would happen is I would evaluate your skills by what you told me, then if I see a place that you might be of use i'll find a project that would be challenging to see how you handle it.  After that difficulty would increase in the projects and I would begin to see your strengths and weaknesses.

PS c# is such a new language most people won't know it anyway so don't get scared.  it's a piece of cake to learn just like java and vb.  A 2-3 week project to get down the basics and build some functional applications that make proper use of objects and stuff.  3D is also not very hard if you have the right engine.  For the more complex engines it's usually a double laying thing where you create classes to talk to the engine then work with simplified objects when building the application.  You shouldn't have this problem working with rev3d.

Xaron

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 September 2001, 02:50:00 »

Thank you for answering my questions. I'll get in touch with you via ICQ. I will also then give a proper introduction of myself, which I seem to have forgotten :/

Xaron

(Hmm, posting seems to work for me now... Wonder why...)

SmurfStormcrow

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 October 2001, 18:55:00 »

Oooo. Lost of questions! (And apologies!:lol )

And, I have one myself that might or might not have been answered already. Umm, well, here it is.

Will there ever be a version that you can play offline? I figure there won't, but it would be nice...

Stormcrow

Psychotic Wizard-Type

nate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 October 2001, 22:01:00 »

I personally have no intention of making a game that can be played offline.  I don't think that many people will be offline at all in 2 years.  I was born and raised in a small community with 75 people in it.  This year as we speak they are running fiber optics down all the streets.  Oringinally they will be using dsl then in a few years when fiber network cards decrease in cost plan on running the fiber right up to the house.

SmurfStormcrow

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 October 2001, 16:31:00 »

Okay, then. Just wondering.

Stormcrow

Psychotic Wizard-Type

GLOD
« Reply #6 on: 13 October 2001, 14:44:00 »

I think it would b nice also if it were an offline game because alot of people can't be on~line all the time.  It couldbe a playstation game or a computer game because I would not be able to play.  A lot of people I know would not be able to play offline.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 16 October 2001, 12:28:00 »

Well, idea 1 is to keep the game free, idea 2 is to make an online multiplayer game where the fun lies in the fact that you will communicate with other characters who are real living beings. The whole game will be based on this concept. In order to realize both ideas money is needed - even if we find enough programmers, artists etc. who will work on the game just for the fun of it, there will have to be servers maintained, internet bills to be paid etc. and there will an advertising concept of rotating banners in order to keep the game alive. Therefore there will be no offline version.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Michael

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 October 2001, 18:01:00 »

Hello all, um i was just concerned about the selection of server app- windows 2000. was there not a reasent virus attack called nimida on it? will the game be safe from that kinda thing?
   also, c#- is that the name of the language? cause im thinking of going to the public lybiray and looking it up. i think in collage its going ot be c++ and so on up and down the line in 2 years or so.  

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 23 October 2001, 16:00:00 »

Nimda can affect every Windows system. It is not limited to Win2000 - it's a browser thing. Nimda can affect your hard drive if you just open a certain website or an e-mail (without opening the attachment). Well, you can never be sure to prevent viruses, but in general viruses will be one of the minor problems we'll have, I guess...

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]