Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Skills - Making a list.  (Read 3288 times)
Kanga

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 18 December 2001, 20:10:00 »

Well i have just started to make myself a little list of skill and similar.. i hope you will add those you feel should be in the game please exclude combat, spells and stats in form of strength,health etc.

Actions :
Climbing
Crouching
Dodging
Feigning Death
Jumping
Running
Strafing
Swimming
Throwing
Riding
Heraldry
Search
Bandage
Stealth,similar to move silently/hide in shadows
Pick Pocket/Lock

Not controlled by player doings :
Spot Hidden
Listen
Intuit Direction

Intellectual :
Reading, Writing & Mathematics, dunno if this can be implemented in someway and if possible, should it?

Languages (Players) :
Browninn
Common
Dragon
Dwarven
Elven
Gnomish

Lores :
Animal Lore
History & Legend Lore
Nature Lore
Religion Lore
Royalty Lore
Demon Lore
Devil Lore
Greenskin Lore
Undead Lore

Music :
Singing
Flute
Guitar

Proffesions :
Cooking
Fishing
Gaming
Hunting
Mining
Smithing (perhaps several different versions)
Tracking
Sailing
Farming
Shipbuilding
Engineering
Merchant (including bargain & appraising)
Tailoring
Brewing
Lumberjack

please feel free to say yes/no to any skills above. and pleeeease do add any skill you see missing ;)  

Edited by: Kanga at: 12/20/01 10:38:59 am
quegon
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 18 December 2001, 21:14:00 »

okay here are the skills from attributes remmber attributes you have from birth eg sight but skills you get thruogh training eg sword fighting.

Actions :
Climbing skill
Crouching attribute
Dodging skill
Feigning Death defnatly a skill but original non the less
Jumping attribute inless your born with no legs
Running attribute
Strafing skill
Swimming skill
Throwing skill
Riding skill
Heraldry skill
Search skill
Bandage skill
Stealth,similar to move silently/hide in shadows skill
Pick Pocket/Lock skill

Not controlled by player doings :
Spot Hidden skill should be increased by stealth as you have lore on hiding and search as well
Listen attribute/skill this is one of thse you can hear from birth but leard to listen hard
Intuit Direction skill

Intellectual :
Reading, Writing & Mathematics skill obviously

Languages all skills unless your born as that type of person eg your a dwarf which would give you instant understanding unless you talk to another dwarf from another region which has a differnet language from you

Lores : all lores are skills

Music :skills

Proffesions : mostly skills but in some cases it is an attribute as there are jobs that you can do from birth eg fishing for anyone I fish all the time and no one tought me how to fish or mining if your a dwarf that is.

Indecision kills so decide a Quick death or a slow one

Quegon

Kanga

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 December 2001, 09:27:00 »

There is some things i dont follow exactly, you say Crouching is a attribute? but cant i learn to crouch faster? to crouch more "safely" lowering the chance of getting hit? as well as learning to get on my feets again faster. running is a attribute? phew now there im totally lost, i can learn to run faster, accelerate faster and even run for longer distances. well im affraid that goes with every skill you mention should be attribute, fishing is definitly a skill, i dont have a clue on how to catch a fish, i would be lucky if i didnt threw out the stick while i was trying to learn it ;)

could you please explain more carefully why those skills you mention is attributes? thanks in advance.

Michael

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 December 2001, 19:20:00 »

If I understand correctly, an attribute is something/ability you are born with and, a skill is something/ability you learn and/or pratice.

So I think anything other than things  race abilitys would be skills. ie infrared vision, sharper hearing, dubble jointedness (natural fexability/dextarity) would be race abilites.

I think everything else would be a learned skill. Through the creation of a chariter, i think it is assumed that they have grown enough to know how to walk/run/jump etc.

If we plan to have new chariters as infants, then role play will be harder, because infants who need to learn there motor skill are totaly depended on others around them.

If I have something mixed up please post so i understand better.

skills i think should be are.
trade skills...smithing, tailoring etc
self improve skills.....sprinting farther, body building str etc
barter skills... business skills(math&reading) to create econ.

Michael.

Xarl
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 December 2001, 21:43:00 »

Magic skills count in there? Don't see 'em.... Just dropping in for a second, you see I was walking my sig, and...

Xarl Bluestride, Archmage of the White Arcana, Master of the Magic Forum, and generally cool guy. All requests are to be written on the back of a ten-dollar bill (or equivelant thereof) placed on a dead ferret, and tossed in the sewer system.
Xarl Bluestride
Owner of the longest sig in Santharia

Kanga

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 December 2001, 04:36:00 »

Michael, i agree totally, Attributes is "skills" you are born with and which you cant improve or atleast very little. could you mention a couple of skills that ive missed (added Tailoring, Brewing & Lumberjack)

Michael

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29 December 2001, 03:55:00 »

one of my personal favorates as being a shaman on everquest is Alchemy.
Smithing should have two specializations 1 being sharpening (lowering delay of a wep) and the other tempering ( increasing hardness= incressed attack)

As im totaly for a more player chariter money market and made items rather than drops, skills would become trades. so something like alchemy could be very closely related to farming.

also I have a paticular liking for psion. all there abilitys are trained arts of the mind and body. Which is diffrent than other classes that rely on magic or weps compleatly. Their abilitys i think would most likely be related to this section on skills.

IE perception of envoirment, it gose along with sence traps but it gose farther by detecting stelth pc, and so on.

Mind conrol of others. abilty to project your will by force on someone or thing else like this could lead to a pet class or specialzation at higher lvs'

as far as non class specific skills i dont remember hearing swimming mentioned, or fetching (bows/arrows), and how bout adding slings- the better you get the better the projectile you can use.
and communacation skills in other languages. along with my active player chariter enconamy there should be a apprasle skill/ identifi artafact skill- to determan the value of something.
how bout map making, the better a player is at that, then he could go in to dongons that change everytime they enter and find there way around.
The more advanced races could have small machinery abilitys to make things like under water breathing stuff and movement enchance ment stuff.and so on.
Since it is my impression that acuall player are going to be able to construt buildings and stuff, then archatecture is going to have to be a skill. and a advanced one.
Bard class or other preforming classes would have additional skills of singing, instument playing and writing to entertain others.

Michael

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29 December 2001, 04:06:00 »

It seems im repeating in diffent words what you and others have already said( I'm sorry. Kinda tired and i just went back to review the board and saw my mistake. I'll think about it for a while I really think if we could come up with a skill unique to sorren/santharain RPG project then we would find what we are really looking for, instead of 35 skills that a single chariter could not excell in a reasonable manner. If we come up with something unique and make it a fun skill, then other people will add our ideas to their game. and that is a real pat on the back when some one dose that=) so thats what ill be thinking about. fun unique skills everyone likes.

Garaton

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 December 2001, 20:00:00 »

I am sorry if i sound like i am trashing all of the skills so far but crouching why would you want to crouch in battle so i have done a list my self i have added some skills that look as though they have been forgotten as well

Attack (the accuracy of the hit)

defense (the ability to withstand the blow)

dogging (the ability to dodge blows like crouching)

strength (how hard you hit)

magic (the higher your magic level the more spells you can cast)

prayer (you can pray to the gods for help)

summoning (summon monsters to help you in battle)

cooking (the higher your cooking level the more and better food you can cook and food can heal you)

woodcutting (cut wood more successful the higher your level)

crafting (make arrows, pots, jugs, cloaks ect the higher your level the more stuff you can make)

mining (the higher your level the more ore you can mine)

smithing (making armor and weapons from bars that you make from smelting ore the higher your smithing the more armor and weapons you can make and make different bars like iron bars steel bronze ect)

brewing (making drinks)

shooting (shooting like using bow and arrows crossbows slings ect)

fishing (self explanatory)

chemistry (making potions like strength ect)

sorry about the spelling  

Kanga

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05 January 2002, 18:32:00 »

well basically i asked Myrik Of Sorren @ Nate what possibilities there would be with the engine, theorectical no end, but alot of troubles with movement as far as ive understood, "skills" similar to jumping can be assigned to have different values BUT these "skills" cannot be integrated at first until this "Collision Problem" is taken care off.

now as i understand "Crouching" is not a problem (only the future will know i guess) but if you have a 3dfirstperson view (in the first version there will be different views according to nate) and you use a bow then i might be able to avoid the arrow from your bow if i crouch, dont you agree? this would make the game more like Quake althrough but remember the most important issue here is not to make it an actiongame or any other kind of game then a RPG with little combat, meaning that you should be able to improve/investigate a skill as you wish, perhaps there will be puzzles where you need to move with a certain (fast) speed while crouching, now a "skill" that allows you to do this, would allow more "gameplay" for everyone, trying more of the game then just running around and butcher every monster you incounter ;)   the idea for using this "Crouching" & others as "skills" was a mixture of the game called Thief and then the common D&D where you can pretty much improve until DM (or as in our case, we) allow.

besides that, (please exclude combat & spells ;) )

Edited by: Kanga at: 1/5/02 1:25:07 am
Myrik

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11 January 2002, 15:54:00 »

smithing I think should be armorsmithing and weaponsmithing.

For merchant I think I would call it trading.

Tarquet Galbar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23 January 2002, 19:37:00 »

Eh, as I see someone put it in, I don't think Summoning should be a skill. Summoning things is a magical thing, and you need the proper training to do it. In other words: it would more be on a list of spells to use if you had it.

I also doubt magic would be an ability. It's only open to certain characters, after all, so it should just be give to those characters automatically, and no need for other characters to have to choose it.

Tarquet Galbar,
BeastMaster Of Santharia
Creator of Weavers
Chronicler of the Rahaz-Dath Mercenaries

Edited by: Tarquet Galbar at: 1/23/02 1:39:55 am
Ralhag Silverskin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 13 February 2002, 22:13:00 »

I concur, Tarq...

At yer service,

Ralhag

No one knows if they've bitten off more than they can chew, until, of course, they choke!

RPG Administrator, world developer, and handsome guy!!

Myrik

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 23 February 2002, 20:40:00 »

We are making good project in knocking out the design issues.  I figured I would let you guys know in general how various actions will work as well as their relationship to skills.

The first important thing to keep in mind is that you don't "use" skills.  You perform actions.  When that action is performed it may require a "level" of skill, but your not using the skill itself.  Actions may also be validated by being near an object in the world, by having at least so much of an attribute, or by having at least so many of a certain item type in your inventory.  All of these conditions we refer to as rules of that action.  Each action can have as many or as few rules as we choose.

We are building the first iteration of the game with only a couple of skills, a couple of attributes, a few actions, and a few of each type of rule.  Once the simplified version is multiplayer and works, we will expand it by adding expanding the number of professions to 10, and allowing people to fight one another.  This will be the first playable version that for most santharia memebers to play.

Raoneth

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 16 May 2002, 12:21:00 »

(This message was left blank)

Memeto viti.

Edited by: Raoneth  at: 5/15/02 7:23:51 pm
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]