Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Proposal on RPG concept  (Read 7762 times)
Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 24 January 2002, 16:56:00 »

Why not make Pks being cursed by temples and such being hunted by very evil demons and other not so funny things... or the ghosts of the killed players can hunt them down?

Weird thoughts but maybe some original and perhaps quite funny. :)  

Koldar Mondrakken, Knight of the Moonlight
--One Sword might make you a warrior but a dagger in your boot makes you a winner!--

Greybark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 25 January 2002, 00:02:00 »

hehehe...
my ghost would probably RP better than I would...

Brownie Expert

Tsars
« Reply #17 on: 05 February 2002, 23:13:00 »

I have read quite a few very interesting ideas in these forums and have not until now posted any reply. I am writting this to ask a few questions and add my own lil idea/s...I have played more than my share of roleplaying games (as have most i suppose) and i have DMd in D&D and offsprings of that game. I would love to help with the programming side although i have only just started my studies in that area so i would be of no use...however i do have ideas, and that, noone needs qualifications for.
by what i have seen and read on this site of yours (and i want to add it is very cleverly designed and very appealing...if i had to rate the site i would rate it 10/10 for the ease of navigation and the look) i believe it is your intention to create the LARGEST roleplaying game ever, an RPG that you will continually expand and develop, and create new areas and such...if this is so then i would love to see a game that is IMPOSSIBLE to see every area...now that would be real to life...how many of us will see ALL of EARTH...none
so i propose:
how long till you think this game would be up and running? and will you be working on it afterwards to add new features etc?...like...is this gonna be a project that will last months? years?...more?
Would you be including areas such as underwater domed cities and caverns,underground caves,sky (as in floating castles and such along with ariel combat?), The moons around the planet it is situated on (if any), and dimension gates?
will there be a strategy part to the game? (e.g when a player gets to a certian 'level' will he be able to aquire a castle/keep or tower/guild that he will 'need' to manage...i am currently playing an online game called 'star kingdoms' where you have to organize and control a kingdom which is inside a sector of 19 other kingdoms which is in turn inside a galaxie and so on...it is a huge online game and takes months to play out...i am only new to it...but anyway...as i was saying a really good strategy part in your game would add much flavour...that way players could collect taxes from other players...and so on...
i hope i aint dribbling here...lol
and one more before i go...the idea of having a class/es that gain experience by not fighting etc culd fall into my previous idea...the less npc characters (not monsters/villians quest objective characters) there r in the game would make it more realistic...that is if you wanted to go as far as an evil mage arguing over a scroll in a library to the librarian while the town guards stand at the door...but yeah...one more..actually...hehehe...is it really going to be a 'FREE' online game...sounds too good to be true but i like the idea.
i just thought i would add my lil piece...hope its not too long for the forum...love ya work so far and keep it up...

Yours...Tsars...Shannon.

Kanga

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 07 February 2002, 17:44:00 »

well i guess that with time it will evolve to everything you mention but that will take along time but yes (with the exception of strategy, you should visit www.sorren.com for a strategygame similar to starkingdoms.com, the strategy game at sorren.com will be continually evolved along with the sorren 3dgame but i doubt it will be intergrated in any way).

Myrik

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 10 February 2002, 08:57:00 »

I figured I would give you guys a general idea of how development is going.  We have one team of 4 including myself doing design and uml for the primary server component.  I hadn't been so formal about laying out something before and this is sort of an experiment to see how it works out.

Another individual is working out the details for your login and character creation subserver.  It processes those requests.

We have another individual who has been working creating and testing individual features we will use in the client application.  There are a couple of issues preventing us from building the client now.  One major problem is bugs found when .net is used with our engine.  I was told the graphics engine was going to have these issues fixed in next release.  The release has been delayed 3 months, but a beta came out for me to play with.  The issues I had been having hadn't been fixed after all, but some neat other change had indeed been made.

We are to a stage where we know what we are going to have for some of the world.  Like we have figured out how to handle a massive terrain using heightmaps.  We have also run some tests using these terrain heightmaps and loading and unloading them out of view of the player.  We have also done some texturing of these heightmaps.

For a better understanding of heightmaps here is how they work.  Imagine you have a greyscale picture.  Each pixel has a certain luma.  imagine you create a point above a flat surface for each pixel.  Then using a mathematical formula you draw curved lines between every pixel so that when a texture is set on top of it you have a nice flowing landscape.  That's a heightmap.  When a player walks their altitude is dependent upon the calculated heightmap at that particular coordinate.

If someone is interested in doing heightmaps i'm easiest to reach by icq.  20748554.

Ralhag Silverskin
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 15 February 2002, 03:07:00 »

I like Wren's idea about perm death.

Adds a twist....

But could be frustrating as HELL..

LOL

At yer service,

Ralhag

No one knows if they've bitten off more than they can chew, until, of course, they choke!

RPG Administrator, world developer, and handsome guy!!

Dareth Keeneye

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 13 April 2002, 20:52:00 »

with the thing about barbarians and other guys coming and killing famers... thats life. But say you're a farmer that lives in a village with guards and maybe some militia that can be called together, you can defend against the barbarians. I mean think about it, if you are a farmer out in the middle of nowhere without any defense against theives, your askin for it. So, farmers and craftsmen could all live in cities, maybe they could be protected by a lord with a castle and small army, or maybe they could pull together a small militia. Thats all stuff that could be decided in the game, with your character.

the Akorn
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 23 April 2002, 13:04:00 »

Well, this is just one of my bad ideas:
Example: Oluf and his 7 friends have bin playing Santharia for a little while, and they want to create a clan. Then they create a clan. Since a clan needs a head quarter, they finds a nice place, nearby "huntingplaces", some dungeons, and a town. Then, they (I don't know how) they create a H.Q. in an ideal spot. Since they are fighters, the windows are high on the walls, it has a flat roof, and some palisades. After a week, they have been making the countryside a bit more safer for civilians. Then a farmer builds his residents nearby, because there are some trained fighters nearby. The rumor spreads among farmers and such people, and after an additional week, there are 7-8 houses around the clan H.Q.. In the meanwhile, the clan had recruited 2-3 players, and the H.Q. had grown. And the village grows some more. Then a couple of bold bandits decide to raid the village and clan H.Q.. The villagers demand that the clan defends them, if they pays some taxes. The clan brutally annihilates the bandits, and start getting taxes. Again the village grows, to 30 houses. The clan grows to, and recruits some local militia, 3-4 non-players to defend while nobody logged on. The clan defends and polices the village, from the villagers they get some taxes, some stores, quests, and the additional raiders. Suddenly, the clan overlord(S) has the role of lord or mayor.

The point in this, is that a clan can "help" settle the lands, by protecting the villagers, and that count against brutal slayers, that wants to kill the peasants. From the villagers they gets taxes and the local pub.    

Myrik

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 25 April 2002, 13:03:00 »

I like the idea of the clans.

We need to make a distinction between pvp and pvm.

player vs player and play vs monster.

I think the clan idea has potential at a later stage of development.  I think a large area of the game will be pieceful.

eyeswulf
« Reply #24 on: 21 May 2002, 23:43:00 »

I think the easiest way to think about developing a game is looking at games that already incorparate those ideas. If you're looking for jobs, i think games like baldur's gate and diablo offer that. But, then again, you don't want to be like other online games. Well, maybe look at FFV or FF tactics, playsation games with very deep job classes. Gameplay wise, I mean theres everquest and ultima online, but why? those are _paid_ game services, and who wants to do that? Look at other free games, such as  Runescape, by andrew gower. Hey, how about asking him for help?

Tyrian Jadewalker
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 13 June 2002, 09:39:00 »

A lot of these suggestions to me sound a lot like a online version of Black and White.  I really liked the game but found it was hard to teach people new skills(especially your creature).  If it was actual people who played those roles then this would be perfect.  There is one problem that I can see with having people build areas and such.  You would need a HUGE player base.  If you had 1000 or so people playing the game then probly close to 70% or so will want to play the typical fighter/mage/paladin/etc. How many of you would actually WANT to play a farmer??  And even if we had a good number of farmers etc. it is not guaranteed that they be online when you need them.  I like the idea but maybe we should have NPCs playing those roles too so that you do not NEED to find a farmer to do certain things...unless of course this is what you are going for.

:)

This sounds like a great suggestion...probly could only be implemented later on in the development stage.  Too big a scope for a beginning game.

the Akorn
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 14 June 2002, 07:58:00 »

Hey, I want to play as a farmer. At least I'l try it...

Tyrian Jadewalker
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 14 June 2002, 09:11:00 »

i am sure there are lots of people out there like you...but you can't expect everyone to want to play farmer or whatever...just a comment that maybe having a combo of real players/NPCs might be better...

i really like the clan idea though...it would be amazing if we could get that to work

:)  

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]