Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Proposal on RPG concept  (Read 7763 times)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« on: 21 October 2001, 09:30:00 »

Here's a mail I got this week I'd like to share with you as it contains a rather interesting point of view, which is worth discussing:

"Hail!!
   I am Michael, aka kawasuki, jaymie as known on Xev. One of the many Servers of EverQuest, A game made by Varrant. A Sony company I believe.
    As I was looking for another text based Rpg called Threshold, I think.  A friend at work plays cause of her claim that she has more ability to role play her character, if so I was interested cause I wanted to apply a cleaner way to play a fantasy character than buying in to magic and war that is based off of D and D which is based off of many of the concepts coming from biblical Babylon. Any way long story, basically, personally I'm judging how damaging associating with games with magic in them are to my Christian spirituality is, if any.
   Any way that's a little history on me, to get one thing clear I'm not bashing this game. it looks fun. Like I said I play everquest. A HUGE online rpg. 3D the whole works. so I was wondering how you plan to deal with them? is there a competition? To realize free RPG gamming? If so how are you going to pay for the server and stuff? I think you are asking for programmers and artist. While, I am not a programmer I am getting to school soon on the subject. I start I in spring, at a community collage. so, if I get good in ohhh about 4 years time, id like to help.
   my fantasy is to create a char. class that is not dependent on killing or magic to defend them self's or to get stronger, in order to be awed by other characters. Rather my fantasy is a class of people who are caretakers if you will, peacemakers ( in the sense of not using violence and power as tools to make peace but using mild words and wisdom) This class would be the first to give you a helping had and the first to suffer pain of evil doers. They are merchants, craftsmen, farmers, not making weapons but rather making what is critical in any game, a support system, while dealings are easy to get rich off of they are not greedy, often giving their best for another's well being. There main quality is  devotion to god and the power of love he imparts to them. hence they do not take up armed combat but do hunt. The goal in the game for them is to change the very face of the game. meaning building cities, creating places of worship. Ultimately a theocratic society. opposition would be makers of war, occult people like necromancers, and so on. but as being not aggressive they are subject to the governing body of other classes in cities which may include them ( in the financial sect of course), this class is value able to any people wishing to learn of inner peace with god and they are of value cause they provide steady taxes for the government. So they may be fought over.
   I realize that this may be a direction that you may not want your game to go. my idea is a 3D game that allows for more than playing a mere race/class/ god combinations. It allows a character to grow through dealing with others in a society made by them(players). It will give maximum player capability in the sense that you will not be required to kill stuff to level. Your ability you create things , build things, befriend people, defuse fights and conflicts, and maybe even manage a society or city. would give you experience.
   And so in the long run my conscience can enjoy a wonderful RPG with out thinking I'm associating wrongly, that one day might cause me to fall away from god. I know since you do not know me that it may sound ridiculous that playing a game could make something like loosening faith happen but children who watch violent TV programs do tend to be more violent so I think it stands to reason that with out a proper prospective on fantasy role playing that acceptance of magic and sorcery however not practiced by me could ware at my useful Christian habits that I have been trying to form.
   You see for most people this is a no brainier but I am a avid gammer. role playing is my favorite thing. so I'm looking at giving up something I enjoy, I have for a bit but I went back to it. and now I have the same questions again. I just thought since you are taking suggestions that it would not hurt to create a class in tune with gods values, it make my choice allot easier.
    Thanks for hearing me out. I'll probably try this land. I realize all the work you plan to put into this and I wish I had the skill right now to help but as of yet I still need to get the education before I can. so if this is still around in four years or so will see=)..

Michael"

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Capher
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 5

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 21 October 2001, 09:38:00 »

I like his ideas Art. I believe we could incorporate them easily into the game and into Santharia.

With deepest regards,Capher

I live to but to serve my Goddess Seyella and Talon Hawke; son, heir and Wizard of the White Tower-defender of the lands and peoples of Caelereth!
Gean Firefeet
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 13

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 October 2001, 13:36:00 »

The idea reminds me of a game that was coming out last year, but is seems it has disappeared. It was called EraOnline. You could play any character class you'd wish (yes mostly that was still the usual thief/mage/fighter stuff, but as well bard and Hunter) and then start up a real life. So you would almost have another life next RL where youw ould built up realtionships, friendships, work for money, buy a small home, go on some quest etc.

This idea would be great I think and again reminds of an play-by-post RP I heard about where they had built a few streets where people lived in and had another life. Not sure if that's what you had in mind originally when playing the game, but t would make it more original then the usual hack 'n slash MMORPG!

"Blessed is the man who calls an aj his friend."
- Shendar Proverb
"If music be the food of love, play on; Give me excess of it..."
- Shakespeare's Twelfth Night
Michael

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 October 2001, 17:53:00 »

Hello, guys, This is Michael. I just learned that you all posted my letter and I'm happy you all like the idea. I 've since then been playing threshold and everquest. I'm flattered that you think the idea would fit in so well with sorren and santharian dream. And this is where ill prolly post for ever since I have a ton of ideas. so hear is another one.
     PROBLEM-rpg's that I have played have been limited by there environment, meaning- if a group or player made guild wanted to set up a building or a home or any thing else that would required another 3d object, since there are thousands of players to programmers and testers, it is unreasonable to process all the requests.
    Soulution- Make a 3d in game, builder program. that would store the building or lands, on the players hard drive. So they would be semi-servering in game when they had visitors.(seen as a nother zone by the server)
    In order ot build on land the earned they would have to meet in game requirements of getting all the reasorces and people to build etc, not to mention the land
   also they would have to meet hardware requirements of (I'm assumeing); at least a high speed connection, 500mb ram, and ample hard drive space. guild hall requirements may need more ram dew to how many player chariters will be in the hall.
    I think putting the system data infomation in a folder and creating a seceruty code for it, would curb cheating the program.
   I got this idea off of useing netmeeting 3.01 by Microsoft. there is a function that allows you to view some ones desk top and move stuff if you let them.

Nate of Sorren

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 November 2001, 09:20:00 »

The players building the world is exactly what we are doing.  Also wanting to work on other practices as well such as totally fresh unexplored land being generated before a player walks over it.  So it looks as if it has been there before.  The whole map being stored on multiple servers and the player recieving parts as needed.  Then it remembering where stuff was so that it won't have to be reloaded.  We are currently doing some speed tests with generating maps from a database rather than a bsp or some other map file on the harddrive.  By generating it from a database we also eliminate any size constraints.

Like I said though we havn't tested the speed yet on this idea, but I think it will work.  Better with c# then with current languages because the data can be remembered in a dataset until it's not needed.

DigitalOnslaught

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 November 2001, 14:29:00 »

"The idea reminds me of a game that was coming out last year, but is seems it has disappeared. It was called EraOnline. You could play any character class you'd wish (yes mostly that was still the usual thief/mage/fighter stuff, but as well bard and Hunter) and then start up a real life. So you would almost have another life next RL where youw ould built up realtionships, friendships, work for money, buy a small home, go on some quest etc." - Gean Firefeet

Well, I've been sitting back watching how things were going to develop with this place etc for a little while now but haven't said much if anything. This post just happened to catch my interest because of the above mentioned game called EraOnline. That game was released for sometime by a great guy by the alias of Fuitad and his company called FuitadNet. He also did webhosting etc. Well anyway an upstart company I was working for at the time called The DE-Net was hosting his servers for EraOnline. I am no longer a part of DE-Net because with the start of my hectic schoolyear I just couldnt. Anyway back to the main reason for posting this... EraOline disapeared because of his money problems and a few other things. After it was forced to shut down I aquired the code from FuitadNet and have been editing it in my free time. Mostly up to this time it has just been a few bugfixes here and there. Eventualy I will get around to devoting full time to it. Quite possibly not until the summer though. Well thats all I really have to say at the current time. I just wanted to shed some light on that post.

By the way I am excited about this game and hope for its success. Good luck. Maybe when I free up some time I could help if you still need it.

~~~~~~~~~~~
-Mike
DigitalOnslaught@hotmail.com

Nate of Sorren

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 November 2001, 19:10:00 »

Do you have a method of contacting FuitadNet.  I would appreciate it if you would foreward some contact information, a website, or e-mail to me at nate@sorren.com, my icq is 20748554.  I would be interested in finding out more information about not only the game but also what sort of financial difficulties they encountered so we may plan ahead.

DigitalOnslaught

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 November 2001, 15:06:00 »

Sorry but I do not. I lost contact with them shortly after the game went down. The financial difficulty that Fuitad had was the fact that he was laid off from work and could no longer afford to keep things opperating. (high speed lines etc..) I dont have the time right now but later I'll try to explain the game a little more. Later.

Garaton

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 December 2001, 20:08:00 »

i like the idea of the 3d rpg gaming a good place to look at to get ideas is a game called runescape it is a 3d environment and it looks like the sort of direction this sorren santharian rpg game is heading if you want take a look at it go to www.runescape.com to play it  

Greybark
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03 January 2002, 04:07:00 »

A question: It sounds interesting, I like some of the ideas, but how to keep the 90% of players that like to be murdering barbarians from killing off all the farmers, tailors, and grocers?

Theodorus Holzman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03 January 2002, 06:32:00 »

Erm, maybe by making the game so realistic that the 90% barbarians would die from starvation if there were no more farmers to provide them with food?;)  

"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune-they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures."

Wren
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 9

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23 January 2002, 11:26:00 »

8feels slightly overwhelmed by all the disscussions as her computer knowledge goes as far as the ON/OFF switch, but in her experience player killing is usually prevented by a God system, whereby each region has an admin and characters can make a complaint against those who run around killing people, or the game has a police force resposible for preventing nasty pkilling*

Shareed

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 23 January 2002, 11:43:00 »

I've seen this done in some other games and it would probably work here too. When a person registers to play, give them the option to register as a Player Killer or not. Then make so that Player Killers can only attack other Player Killers. This way non Player Killers are safe. :)  

I am not a wise man, but I am a Strong one. Surrender, and I will see you judged fairly. Resist and I will end your tyranny with your life.

Tarquet Galbar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 23 January 2002, 19:31:00 »

But... But... But... Killing things with characters is so much fun! Especially with magic cause you can think up these really out there ideas like extremely expensive movie special effects that just take things down. Just another way to channel rage, in my opinion, that shouldn't be expressed among physical bodies in the world.

Tarquet Galbar,
BeastMaster Of Santharia
Creator of Weavers
Chronicler of the Rahaz-Dath Mercenaries

Wren
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 9

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 24 January 2002, 15:13:00 »

I think permenant death (depending on race) might be fun! It would make things a bit more lifelike. I think it should only apply to players when they get to a certain level as newbies have a tendancy to die :)  

Wren
questions, questions.....

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]