Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: is the RPG sorren out??  (Read 3730 times)
finalight

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 21 June 2002, 08:00:00 »

just want to ask this question...though it's stupid and riduculous..but is the RPG sorren out anyway?
If so, how do I play the game? Do i have to download the client or anything else?

Tyrian Jadewalker
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 21 June 2002, 11:41:00 »

the rpg for santharia is currently located in the "Role Playing" forums...we are currently working on the sorren rpg game...so you are going to have to wait

=(

Tyrian Jadewalker

finalight

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 June 2002, 21:21:00 »

but how long do i have to wait?

Tyrian Jadewalker
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 June 2002, 07:40:00 »

i really have no idea how long it will take...

nate/myrik is currently moving so it might be a bit before he gets back up and running...if you want to send him an email then go right ahead...he can give you details and such...

Tyrian Jadewalker

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 June 2002, 09:06:00 »

Years.. :D  

Koldar Mondrakken, Knight of the Moonlight
--Santharian Master of Disaster ;)--

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 25 June 2002, 09:52:00 »

Confirm: Years.

Contact Artimidor - Webmaster & World Development Admin
The Santharian Dream - Where fantasy dreams come true

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Tyrian Jadewalker
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 June 2002, 12:05:00 »

years for the 3d version yes...years for the rpg that he is currently working on??...that might be a bit long...he seems to be making some good progress on the server and client right now...you can connect, talk, and move around and such...he has not started to put in monsters/weapons/world etc yet but we have a good start...i can see it taking maybe a year...but then again maybe not...

and yes the 3D version will not be ready for years to come

:)

Tyrian Jadewalker

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 25 June 2002, 12:26:00 »

The MUD thingy should be playable much earlier, that's right. I still don't have the latest client version - because of Nate's moving. I also can't say how much time Nate will have to work on the game, now that he has quit his usual job. But if he can integrate a chat system and the NPC dialogue editor soon and properly, it's only a matter of time when we can breathe life into Santharian characters. You don't even need an inventory to enjoy such a game.

How long it will last that more than only the Santharian developers can play the whole thing is another question, which also depends on how far we want to go with it.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Wilen Cloverheart

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25 June 2002, 12:49:00 »

I don't know much yet about how far the development for the MUD is, but in terms of work, a dedicated team could probably slap something functional together over a few weeks. I have no clue how many, other than Nate and Art, are actually doing programming, and how much time is left to do it, so..

I'm curious, any plans on keeping the MUD version open-source? Maybe if the actual programming was out in the open, allowing for discussion/suggestions from other programmers, good tricks could be picked up. It could also be useful to develop a whole bunch of small tools not actually part of the core of the game, to allow multiple programmers to work on creating non-essential helper programs. Then later on actual players could help create more content using some of those tools (Like Art's dialogue/NPC editor)

Maybe when the structure of the game is somewhat completed (client/server interaction, moving around, using items, fighting monsters), it could be released, limited to the users of these boards, for instance. Then users could use the content tools to design small areas (maybe running a local copy, no connection to the official server), test them, and submit them for dev team approval.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 25 June 2002, 13:25:00 »

This is Nate's call. Hope he will be available again soon.

BTW: I don't plan to actually help with programming, I only try to prepare what I have already done independently so that Nate can use it when needed.

Tyrian Jadewalker
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25 June 2002, 15:40:00 »

i have been talking to nate almost everyday over the past week or so...i am hoping to help him with the programming...

he is currently moving so i haven't talked to him much in the last couple of days but i am sure that the MUD is going to be completely open source...i think that is what nate had envisioned for it...but perhaps he would be a better person to talk about it...

Tyrian Jadewalker

Tyrian Jadewalker
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 25 June 2002, 15:46:00 »

oh yeah...and one more thing...that is the way nate plans to have it...he wants a functional game then to have the world builders come in and help build the world...cuz right now all we have is a couple rooms...maybe a half a dozen...

i don't think he has decided on how he is going to go about letting people in...he might only start with a small dedicated crowd and then let others in as it progresses...i believe there has also been talk of a $2 fee or something like that to create a character...

oh yeah...btw...don't quote me on any of this stuff i say here...nate is the man who has the last word...

:)

Tyrian Jadewalker

Wilen Cloverheart

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 25 June 2002, 20:45:00 »

I emailed him a few days ago, but haven't heard anything so far. I guess it's because of the moving and all that, so I'll just wait for a while longer :)

Good to hear it'll be open source, could be very interesting having a look inside the mechanics of the game, and would make it easier for the community to chip in with technical stuff.

The $2 might generate a tiny income from the regulars on the board. It'll also limit the MUD to those few regulars. With the massive amount of free MUDs and other RPGs out there, a stranger to this site needs a fairly loose wallet and a lot of love for the universe to sign up. Of course, the world is easy to fall in love with, but it takes some time :)

Any idea if the possible $2 thing is to cover a dedicated server or something like that? Sounds almost odd

Tyrian Jadewalker
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 26 June 2002, 07:48:00 »

I believe the $2 fee was to try and raise a (tiny) amount of capital to use as a base for developing the 3D game...any little bit helps i guess...

i am currently at work but if you wish to contact me...since i seem to be the one who has talked to nate most recently...my icq is 21493288 and my MSN is woozy7@hotmail.com...i think i have yahoo around somewhere too but i never use it...

hope to hear from you...i will be home in around 7 hours...hopefully that coincides with your timezone...

Tyrian Jadewalker

Myrik

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 01 July 2002, 08:59:00 »

Currently I'm working on the prototype for the mud.  It's not  simply a mud though.  My goal is to write everything so we get maximum reuse when we decide to go  3D.  The graphics engine has been holding  us up too long and it's not worth the wait when we can continue in another direction and come back to it later.

As far as the status of the mud.  It's been under construction for about 4 weeks now.  That includes a lot of time spent to move.

The mud is  open source with a gnu license agreement.  (if you build something from it you have to release that source code as well).

I have in game building working now so  players can create zones and stuff from inside the game.  The client and  server are constantly changing in this early stage of  the game.  Tyrian is going to be a big help on the client application.  I have simply created a basic client with color, aliases, scrollback, and command line scrollback.  By doing our own client with the mud server we will be able to add sounds and music.

When the prototype is finished and basic functionality is working the way I want it.  We will rewrite the whole  client and server creating uml diagrams etc.

My guess is that within a month we will have items, and creatures added.  Also we should have an automated system of creating characters.  Currently I have to manually create each player's account then reboot the server.

If you are interested in building  and have a good  knowledge of a santharia zone please contact me by msn messenger nathan66873@hotmail.com  or icq 20748554.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]